New video.. Coach Wally taken back....hmm

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Yeah that interview is very interesting. I'm not going to make any remarks, just watch it and form your own opinion.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
People always harped on Mac's teams' open field tackling, but we were worse in the last two years. For a "defensive guru", the new staff has not had anything too nice to say in the area of defensive fundamentals taught by the last guys. I'm not really sure how that happened.

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Coach basically said that the fundamentals on defense weren't there for the most part and it really surprised him.

May 28, 2009
Talked about were the Defense Is, Their behind and learning. Believe the LB look like LB but need to evaluate more. Seems satisfied with the JUCOs brought in. Possible that a freshman will have to play. he likes the area and school

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Did you really listen to the whole thing. You make it sound like it is all negative.

Yes I listened to the whole thing. I was giving the information most pertinent to the thread title "Coach Wally taken back"...that's the main reason he was "taken back"

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Coach basically said that the fundamentals on defense weren't there for the most part and it really surprised him.

So those of us that said that during last year were not crazy. That is good to know. :wink:

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Talked about were the Defense Is, Their behind and learning. Believe the LB look like LB but need to evaluate more. Seems satisfied with the JUCOs brought in. Possible that a freshman will have to play. he likes the area and school

For a newbie, this was a good post summarizing the interview.

So those of us that said that during last year were not crazy. That is good to know. :wink:

Actually I said it and I'm still a little crazy.

I don't know. I enjoyed that strategy of letting the offensive guys wear themselves out by running so much.

Nearly worked, too -- Colorado, Kansas, Iowa. Had those games been five quarters instead of four, who knows? ISU could have won. :wink:

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I really hope that Burnham brought his "tackle every eligible player on offense" approach to defensive practice with him that he taught at South Florida...

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Quite frankly I was taken back as well at how poor we were at tackleing the last few years. The other thing that drove me crazy last year was our D-backs not getting their hands up. How hard is it to teach someone that when a reciever raises his hands to catch the ball you should put yours up and try to knock it down?