New Uniforms Revealed

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Ok. This is why I like CF. It has corrected me in the past. I do listen.

I was probably like you a month or two ago (and could be again), my favorite darker gold was our '70's sunflower gold. Is that what you would prefer? Anyway, since then, I have gravitated to a slightly darker, more 'tan' gold. Probably due to the commemorative Trice uni this year. It is indeed closer to the 49er gold, which some keep calling for. Some would have a conniption if we did this.

I will post an image, next, of our cardinal and gold, the 49er red and gold, and some 'proposed' golds. I think that would help me/us figure it out, compromise maybe? I will do this before I do any more image mocks.
Yep, I've been with you on the sunflower gold. The 49ers gold is not Iowa State imo. It would be a complete rebrand if we did that, whereas the less harsh sunflower gold (compared to current) is still close enough to what we have that it wouldn't be starting from scratch.

I like the white numbers but would prefer a gold outline against the cardinal jersey.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Yep, I've been with you on the sunflower gold. The 49ers gold is not Iowa State imo. It would be a complete rebrand if we did that, whereas the less harsh sunflower gold (compared to current) is still close enough to what we have that it wouldn't be starting from scratch.
Keep in mind, that in my world (if they would do things my way, yeah, right), I am advocating a darker gold 'addition', not a complete rebrand by any means. We could easily do this if we wanted to. The current yellow gold stays in the mix. It is actually a good color, great for numbers and trim/accent, logos, etc.

The problem is, nobody (or very few) likes the current yellow in large swaths in the football uniform, including the current coach. This includes, a yellow jersey, pant, or even helmet. It is just too much yellow.

Keeping the current yellow/gold is the only way any of this will work, IMO. Jamie will not even consider dropping the current yellow, for another shade. Doing this would entail a nearly complete re-vamp/re-brand, and that's not happening.

I would also advocate using the current official 'university' gold in the football uniform, which is just a tiny bit darker than the brighter 'athletic' gold/yellow we exclusively use now. If ever I post a gold jersey mock, it might have the university gold top/jersey, with a darker gold pant. That actually doesn't look too bad. But it's not the next thing I want to post (haha). The athletic gold/yellow for a jersey or pant, as the only option, no thankyou.

So we could go a little darker shade of gold with an 'addition', if we were to do this. No re-branding, no structural changes in signage, etc., would be needed. Other sports could continue using the current yellow only, if they wanted to. I actually don't mind the current yellow BB uniforms, for example. But in the football uniforms, too much yellow is not good.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
And did you notice that in my last two darker gold pant mocks, that I made (almost) zero changes to the jersey or helmet. They still have the yellow numbers and trim, including an unchanged logo. [I did make the jersey sleeve stripe dark gold, but even that wasn't necessary.]

In other words, the darker gold addition, and the current yellow can co-exist very nicely together. It doesn't have to be all or none.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
While I'm at it, do you think Johnnie Majors or Earl Bruce (God rest their souls) would have liked and used our current yellow gold?
I doubt it. Not exclusively like we now have to.

But who knows? They were both into coaching and winning, not uniform fashion.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
And did you notice that in my last two darker gold pant mocks, that I made (almost) zero changes to the jersey or helmet. They still have the yellow numbers and trim, including an unchanged logo. [I did make the jersey sleeve stripe dark gold, but even that wasn't necessary.]

In other words, the darker gold addition, and the current yellow can co-exist very nicely together. It doesn't have to be all or none.
DIsagree. The darker gold is too much of a change, especially in the Brock picture. Those look almost brown. Ugly.

The Breece one is better, but it doesn't look like Iowa State to me.

The answer is more white on home uniforms and sunflower gold over the gross yellow we currently have.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
DIsagree. The darker gold is too much of a change, especially in the Brock picture. Those look almost brown. Ugly.

The answer is more white on home uniforms and sunflower gold over the gross yellow we currently have.
I hear what you are saying. So how do we get more white on home uniforms? I don't see the present coach doing that, more than he already has. And if you put too much white with cardinal, you will look more like kNeb than you would want. The present coach isn't adding more yellow.

If we adopt sunflower gold, and get rid of the yellow/gold, we basically go back to what we had in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's. If you take out the current yellow/gold, you will have to rebrand, re-do all your logos and signage. I don't see that happening, even though you might want it to.

You might say that you don't see my idea of keeping the current yellow and adding another gold as happening either. Cool. It's worth discussing both ideas.

I will add some 'not as dark or tan gold' to the mix, with my idea. We'll see how that looks soon. I'd be OK with that also.

I appreciate your input.

Maybe my idea is unrealistic. I just don't see us changing to another gold entirely.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It is a huge change, yes. It takes us back to the Stapleton era, to some degree, even though we keep the current yellow.

I will work on some different, not as drastic, golds.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Agree with this. You do a great job on these t-noah, but your gold is too dark.... its approaching a brownish look.

Our actual colors are cardinal and gold.... to look 'gold', it has to be lighter, like the 49ers or New Orleans Saints IMO.

But keep up the great work! These are fun to look at. I wish I could do it as good as you can. My skills are terrible.

Reactions: t-noah

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I hear what you are saying. So how do we get more white on home uniforms? I don't see the present coach doing that, more than he already has. And if you put too much white with cardinal, you will look more like kNeb than you would want. The present coach isn't adding more yellow.

If we adopt sunflower gold, and get rid of the yellow/gold, we basically go back to what we had in the late 60's, 70's and early 80's. If you take out the current yellow/gold, you will have to rebrand, re-do all your logos and signage. I don't see that happening, even though you might want it to.

You might say that you don't see my idea of keeping the current yellow and adding another gold as happening either. Cool. It's worth discussing both ideas.

I will add some 'not as dark or tan gold' to the mix, with my idea. We'll see how that looks soon. I'd be OK with that also.

I appreciate your input.

Maybe my idea is unrealistic. I just don't see us changing to another gold entirely.
White numbers with gold outlines like the early McCarney jerseys would do wonders for our current jerseys

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
White numbers with gold outlines like the early McCarney jerseys would do wonders for our current jerseys
I might not use it for all our combos, but it definitely would lift our white-cardinal-white up another notch.

Also would make the C-C-W work at least a little better. That one still looks like we misplaced our cardinal pants on game day and had to make due with practice pants.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016
Agreed. I think the main issue I have is the lack of white, I think it would really help especially with the all red combo (which I heard is the players least favorite combo)

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Agree with this. You do a great job on these t-noah, but your gold is too dark.... its approaching a brownish look.

Our actual colors are cardinal and gold.... to look 'gold', it has to be lighter, like the 49ers or New Orleans Saints IMO.
Will work on it, inputing into t-noah uniform computer, haha.

Edit: And I realize these latest got a little darker than optimal. The sunlight and shadows makes it a bit more tricky. Less dark, a little more yellow options forthcoming.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I might not use it for all our combos, but it definitely would lift our white-cardinal-white up another notch.

Also would make the C-C-W work at least a little better. That one still looks like we misplaced our cardinal pants on game day and had to make due with practice pants.
Part of my plan (if you can call it that) is to have two cardinal jerseys, one with gold numbers (the current yellow, a darker gold might not work as well), and one with white numbers. Pick the best match for the set. A pretty inexpensive addition to the uniform, if you ask me. When finished with them, several seasons, practice, etc., they could be sold back to the fans quite easily. No brainer, really.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
We have had our "new" yellow/gold since 1983 now. That's a long time. And I'm not saying the gold in the images of my last couple of posts weren't too dark, they were. But I'm not sure if some on here remember the sunflower gold we had in the late '60's thru 1982. It was fairly dark.

Here are a couple of old football games before 1983 (the color change), to make the point that our gold back then was pretty dark.

Unfortunately the resolution is not the greatest for either of these.

I think they may have overdone it with the color change of our gold, in 1983. It went from maybe a tad too dark (debatable) to too bright now (also debatable).

Does anyone know what the hex code was for our '70's sunflower gold?

Reactions: CYCLNST8