New Uniforms Revealed

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Everyone always talks about teams weaing black when they arent supposed. I think we need to discuss why Colorado said **** it and starting wearing blue in the 80s. View attachment 103690
The Colorado BOR made the change, replacing black with blue in 1981. They wore black "throwbacks" 1984, then coaches had the option to use black jerseys starting in 1985.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Everyone always talks about teams weaing black when they arent supposed. I think we need to discuss why Colorado said **** it and starting wearing blue in the 80s. View attachment 103690
I was about to say these have to be coming back as a throwback soon, but then I checked their record during this time period:

1981, 3-8
1982, 2-8-1
1983, 4-7
1984, 1-10

They go back to black full-time in 1985 & go 7-5

Although, as bad as that program is right now, anything may be worth a try...

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Black-for-black's-sake uniforms were "the thing" 10-20 years ago but are now a tired cliché.

I'm sad whenever our beautiful cardinal and gold are deemphasized.
I mean Stanford, Miami, Oregon, USC I think have all had black uniforms in the past 2-3 years.
It's not some cringe idiot mid west thing.
Thought we were past arguing about black uniforms lol.
This argument will never end until BFBS ends... which seems unlikely, unfortunately
Yes, I get that Iowa is usually behind any fashion trend, football unis or otherwise, but can black go out of style?

This is meant to be rhetorical. I know those of us have their opinions on the black one way or the other.

Consider these points: 1) We have used the black quite a bit in the past two years, prior, but we haven't used them yet this year (still early, but one big game, Baylor). 2) Our black is fairly unique, in that it is only black, off-white, and silver. They did not try to add a lot, or even a touch of school color anywhere. That is the unique part. IMO, some other schools doing black maybe put too much of their school color in with the black (blue, red, orange, yellow, green, etc.). Then they might have too much white also. The contrast sometimes doesn't look great. At all.

I like the black as we have it, and hope it is used now in lesser moderation. We'll see. It is probably best left alone, without any school color. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a touch of very dark red in there somewhere, but not the gaudy stuff we see other teams doing.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yes, I get that Iowa is usually behind any fashion trend, football unis or otherwise, but can black go out of style?

This is meant to be rhetorical. I know those of us have their opinions on the black one way or the other.

Consider these points: 1) We have used the black quite a bit in the past two years, prior, but we haven't used them yet this year (still early, but one big game, Baylor). 2) Our black is fairly unique, in that it is only black, off-white, and silver. They did not try to add a lot, or even a touch of school color anywhere. That is the unique part. IMO, some other schools doing black maybe put too much of their school color in with the black (blue, red, orange, yellow, green, etc.). Then they might have too much white also. The contrast sometimes doesn't look great. At all.

I like the black as we have it, and hope it is used now in lesser moderation. We'll see. It is probably best left alone, without any school color. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a touch of very dark red in there somewhere, but not the gaudy stuff we see other teams doing.
When we wear black, we are just going throw back.

Cliffy Claven time, Iowa's original school color (yes just color) was old gold. ISU's original school colors were Gold/Silver/Black. So yes, Iowa did copy Iowa State.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
When we wear black, we are just going throw back.

Cliffy Claven time, Iowa's original school color (yes just color) was old gold. ISU's original school colors were Gold/Silver/Black. So yes, Iowa did copy Iowa State.
Probably true a little, but without the gold?

Doubt it was intentional. Haha. Campbell just wanted his black and silver. I'm not going to argue. :)

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020
Remember that episode of South Park when they made fun of Iowa for always being 5-10 years behind the culture times to the point you could almost consider the state a time capsule?

This is a great example of it.

Black-for-black's-sake uniforms were "the thing" 10-20 years ago but are now a tired cliché.

I'm sad whenever our beautiful cardinal and gold are deemphasized.
Congrats for dumbest post of the day. Our black uniforms were voted #1 in 2020 by Fox College Football. They're a fantastic look, just have been used too frequently.

Also, if it was such a 5-10 years ago thing, then why would Ohio State still be rolling one out?

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Congrats for dumbest post of the day. Our black uniforms were voted #1 in 2020 by Fox College Football. They're a fantastic look, just have been used too frequently.

Also, if it was such a 5-10 years ago thing, then why would Ohio State still be rolling one out?

Link?

Not because I think you're making the thing about Fox up, but because I want to see if it was either (1.) an online fan poll, the sort that can be fun and drive discussions but ultimately doesn't mean anything or (2.) the opinion of one particular sportswriter, which is no way a final settlement on the matter.

I would find neither methodology very convincing.

If Ohio State jumped off a bridge...

BFBS is a tired trend at this point, and many professional franchises have walked away from it.* It is fine if you like it, and Campbell is calling those shots, but Iowa State is cardinal and gold.

*Such as...

NFL = Lions back to blue/silver, 49ers dropping that hideous black jersey

MLB = Royals back to blue and powder blue, Blue Jays back to their blue/red World Series uniforms, Reds back to red, Mets back to blue/orange, A's back to green/gold, Astros back to navy/orange

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I have never had an issue with our Blacks. I only had an issue when we wore them for almost every game. I would rather only wear them a couple games a season maybe, night games etc.

I think we focus too much on if we wear something else we will lose. If we wear what we wore in the 80s or 90s we will lose. I realize there are some superstitions in football, but some of this is a little much.

Personally I really would like to have 4 varieties of each uniform piece including helmet and facemask. White, Black, Cardinal, Gold. This with a full variety of logos to use on each helmet, classic, current, stencil, CY, Orrnado, Cyclones, MAC era/without Blue, IState, etc. in cardinal, Black, White, gold, as needed.

Someday maybe.

1238576073jb

Jul 4, 2021
Link?

Not because I think you're making the thing about Fox up, but because I want to see if it was either (1.) an online fan poll, the sort that can be fun and drive discussions but ultimately doesn't mean anything or (2.) the opinion of one particular sportswriter, which is no way a final settlement on the matter.

I would find neither methodology very convincing.

If Ohio State jumped off a bridge...

BFBS is a tired trend at this point, and many professional franchises have walked away from it.* It is fine if you like it, and Campbell is calling those shots, but Iowa State is cardinal and gold.

*Such as...

NFL = Lions back to blue/silver, 49ers dropping that hideous black jersey

MLB = Royals back to blue and powder blue, Blue Jays back to their blue/red World Series uniforms, Reds back to red, Mets back to blue/orange, A's back to green/gold, Astros back to navy/orange
Agreed, BFBS is a tired trend - even if they look good (like our uniforms), it really needs to end

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I have never had an issue with our Blacks. I only had an issue when we wore them for almost every game. I would rather only wear them a couple games a season maybe, night games etc.

I think we focus too much on if we wear something else we will lose. If we wear what we wore in the 80s or 90s we will lose. I realize there are some superstitions in football, but some of this is a little much.

Personally I really would like to have 4 varieties of each uniform piece including helmet and facemask. White, Black, Cardinal, Gold. This with a full variety of logos to use on each helmet, classic, current, stencil, CY, Orrnado, Cyclones, MAC era/without Blue, IState, etc. in cardinal, Black, White, gold, as needed.

Someday maybe.
They used them too much there for awhile and they lost some of their juice.

I just want to see some incorporation of cardinal into them. Maybe some white and/or silver.

Most of the other cardinal based teams have incorporated that into their black uniforms.

JohnPrineforCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2019
I think the black uniform is great looking, and at the beginning of CMC's tenure I think they were used as a way to make this program noticed and give the football team some juice. Now that Iowa State is becoming a more established football identity I think the allure of the black has worn off. I still like them and they look really sharp. I only want to see them for big time night games.

Also spin zone to the iowa is always last with trends. If you notice the black uniforms that are coming out now are very minimal. I would say Iowa State was one of the first to do it that way. Minnesotas this year is just Black and White and the new Houston uni has very little red in it.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
They used them too much there for awhile and they lost some of their juice.

I just want to see some incorporation of cardinal into them. Maybe some white and/or silver.

Most of the other cardinal based teams have incorporated that into their black uniforms.
Did you see the Volleyball unis last night?