New Uniforms Revealed

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
Related- For those who love the Trice stripe, I noticed this was part of the design of the plaza in front of JTS next year. (assuming the project stays on budget). Bottom right of this poor photo

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-23 Iowa State Athletics Sports Performance Center.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-23 Iowa State Athletics Sports Performance Center.png
    860.1 KB · Views: 76

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Related- For those who love the Trice stripe, I noticed this was part of the design of the plaza in front of JTS next year. (assuming the project stays on budget). Bottom right of this poor photo
I see it. Interdesting!

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I made a post not too long ago saying these might be 3 good ways to layout the Ornado on helmet. WhiteHelmetsOrrnadoThreeWaysToLayoutOnHelmet.png . Since then I've compared our original tornado, the amestoplease first adaption, and Draf's (really it's amestoplease'/not Draf's design) tornado design and found a better Ornado.

I didn't realize until a few days ago how much better Draf's (no, amestoplease' 2nd) design really is. If you don't carefully compare them you would never know. Next post compares amestoplease (1st ?) adaptation vs. Draf and ameastoplease' 2nd (?) design...

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here's amestoplease' 1st adaptation of the original tornado, alongside my three adaptations. WhiteHelmetsOrCy3WaysLayoutOnHelmetViaAmesToPleaseAdaptation.png All pretty similar.

Couldn't fit next pic in this post, too large, see next post.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Amestoplease 2nd design and Draf's depiction against my same three. WhiteHelmetsOrCy 3a WaysLayoutOnHelmetViaDraf.jpg Pretty clear to me the 2nd amestoplease design and Draf tornado looks better (top row/red helmet), has more tilt which looks better and is a bit beefier, like it's gained 20 pounds. I will call it the Cy-nado? for now. I believe it is just what we might be looking for. Similar but different from what we've had in the past. A new future. One of our new secondary logos!

Good job @amestoplease first, and @Draf!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cy37 and bgprest

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Draf-nado against my two possible adaptations. CyUni 1983 HelmetsOrCy 4a 3Ways3 LayoutOnHelmetViaDraf.jpg The first row of mine looks the best, definitely, just like Draf's on top. Tornado tail facing forward. Draf right again. The second row, tail rear-facing, is OK but front facing tail looks better with Draf design.

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
T-Noah. I can't take credit for the Cyclone design I used on my helmet — however, I'm glad you like how it turned out. Here it is on a white helmet. Iowa State Cyclones 03 small.jpg

Reactions: t-noah and bgprest

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
T-Noah. I can't take credit for the Cyclone design I used on my helmet — however, I'm glad you like how it turned out. Here it is on a white helmet. View attachment 75790
Great! I also like how you display your helmets, front, back, and both sides. And on this one, the Lt. side, the side we usually don't see.

With the symmetrical design, front facing tail it frames the face/facemask perfectly. Also this design of the Cyclone looks just as good on the left side as it does on the right. Our older tornado/cyclone and the amestoplease 1st adaptation, did not look as good on the Lt. side.

I understand @amestoplease should get the credit for this 2nd design. I might still think of it as the Draf-nado for me, as it finally dawned on me how good it is by seeing Draf's depiction. Heretofore though, I will refer to this design as the Cynado (unless amestoplease says otherwise). I think it is different enough that it deserves a special name to distinguish it from other versions of the Cyclone/tornado.

I'm still hopeful this version will get a second look as a secondary logo for us. I understand it's been tried already, but the time may be better now? tn

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Nice! With the gold and two cardinal stripes, it looks really good. It might be even better if the segments on the logo were very thinly outlined in gold.
I too would prefer gold separating the segments of the Cynado on the white helmet. Draf would it be too hard to give us a pic of that? White helmet, gold between segments, darker red facemask. One with stripe and one without. One with white facemask, one red. Thx if you can!

At some point I'd like to send this and maybe some other uni ideas (not fully completed yet though) to higher ups for consideration/ re-consideration. Not sure how best to do that but that's another story.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bgprest

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Away, Mod 4, new gold (not quite as dark as our 70's gold, still using current yel/gold accent), lighter shade of cardinal, new stripes (and two cardinal pant stripe choices), two collar choices.
CyUni 1994 Away WithGold 1 MixStripeCollar.png CyUni 1994 Away WithGold 2 MixCollar.png and w/Cynado next pic, white helmet CyUni 1994 Away WithGold 3 MixStripeCollar.png
Would like to see Cynado atleast 1x/year on helmet. If not that use for award stickers on helmet. Cynado not meant to replace I-STATE.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: bgprest

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
I too would prefer gold separating the segments of the Cynado on the white helmet. Draf would it be too hard to give us a pic of that? White helmet, gold between segments, darker red facemask. One with stripe and one without. One with white facemask, one red. Thx if you can!

At some point I'd like to send this and maybe some other uni ideas (not fully completed yet though) to higher ups for consideration. Not sure how best to do that but that's another story.
I can maybe do that sometime, yes.
Great! I also like how you display your helmets, front, back, and both sides. And on this one, the Lt. side, the side we usually don't see.

With the symmetrical design, front facing tail it frames the face/facemask perfectly. Also this design of the Cyclone looks just as good on the left side as it does on the right. Our older tornado/cyclone and the amestoplease adaptation, did not look as good on the Lt. side.

So someone else did this design, OK great. I will still think of it as the Draf-nado for me. Heretofore though, I will refer to this design as the Cynado. I think it is different enough that it deserves a name to distinguish it from other versions of the Cyclone/tornado. I'm still hopeful this version will get a second look as a secondary logo for us. tn
There is an interesting interview about this updated 80s Cyclone design. You should check it out.

Reactions: t-noah and bgprest

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
There is an interesting interview about this updated 80s Cyclone design. You should check it out.
Wrongly calling it an Orrnado was reason enough IMO for JP to kill the idea let alone its association with a bad era of ISU FB and not being a significant upgrade over what was used in the Texas game.

• Disagree
Reactions: psychlone99

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
Wrongly calling it an Orrnado was reason enough IMO for JP to kill the idea let alone its association with a bad era of ISU FB and not being a significant upgrade over what was used in the Texas game.
It's too bad you don't like it. I think it's awesome. Of course, it isn't wrong at all to have differing opinions on the design. Go Cyclones!

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
ISU's all whites with chrome red pots looked really sharp in Manhattan last season. I'm not a fan of the solid red or black outfits, but I'm also not an ISU gal.

• Agree
Reactions: Proton

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm still a little confused about these three pics. The first two are amestoplease designs (@amestoplease), and what might have became known as the Ornado. The 3rd is Draf's depiction of that design. SwirlTornadoUpdated 2ToneAmesToPlease.jpg RedHemet Cynado amestopleaseBrendonGargano 2017.jpg RedHelmetsCynadoDraf.jpg

In Draf's depiction the slant of the Cynado is a little more pronounced. I think that is notable and a good difference. It also seems thicker, for sure over pic one here.

So whether or not amestoplease had a 2nd go at it in pic 2, vs. pic 1 above, I don't know.

What I do know is that in the Draf depiction (3rd pic), it becomes very clear that the image has been altered vs. pic 1, in a good way.

This 3rd pic, with or without the single-tone or two-tone affect (I like both), should be reconsidered for a secondary logo, IMO. It also should not be called the Ornado because that was already tried. Make it a little different, call it the Cynado and take another swing. tn

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
These RedHemet Cynado amestopleaseBrendonGargano 2017.jpg RedHelmetsCynadoDraf.jpg are hugely significant upgrades over what was used in the Texas game. The staff partly realized it after enduring the fan outcry against the upside-down imoge.

That is why we haven't seen that aberration since. Well we did see it as helmet stickers that year and maybe the year after.

Perhaps the staff, slow minded as they sometimes are, will further realize there is something already designed, the Cynado, and reconsider it? The majority of fans want it or would embrace it. It makes more than enough sense to be one of our secondary logos.

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
T-noah, my helmet has a slanted logo because the helmet is on a flat surface. If it were on a player's head, the slant would match the original.