New Uniforms Revealed

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I don't really mean this, cause I do like to talk/discuss uniforms, ...But I don't care if we wear pink polka dots, if we can just keep this Coach and staff. He and they are doing things right! It's a good time to be a Cyclone!

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
We still should do something with our pants. All solid one color makes them look like practice pants.

Also, it would be nice to get rid of the black collar on the cardinal jersey too, and add a gold helmet and pants option too. Other than that, they're pretty good.

Last edited:

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not hardly. I don't even have a cell phone (wife and kids all do) or twitter. But I'll take that as a compliment nonetheless. I guess.

They love uniforms. You love uniforms. It made sense.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Overall I thought the new uniforms were good, and the white jerseys excellent. I liked the addition of black but was worried about it, thinking it might be overdone; I don't think it was. The all-black also grew on me. I liked it more than I thought even though we used it twice when I felt once would be plenty.

I can understand the rationale for adding black, and maybe diminishing the overall gold. It perhaps adds symbolic toughness, and the Coach and players like it, etc.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I'm hoping that maybe we make two changes, possibly three, to take these new uniforms from good to great: 1. Add pant stripes back to the white pant; 2. Add gold jersey and pant alternative; (and possibly 3. Modify black collar some, black/dark gray 2-tone?).
Cy Uniforms 2018  q12a 2020 unis Home CY 2 3 1.jpg
Cy Uniforms 2018  q10a 2020 unis Away WhtPantStr CY.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
After doing a little digging it appears Uniform Authority is run by @t-noah.

They love uniforms. You love uniforms. It made sense.
Busted! Actually I am more interested in "our" uniforms than anything else, and love "our" university. I know I'm a little weird on the uniform front. I've been around a long time and have seen us not have such great teams nor such great uniforms. We are so close to having both now and that is exciting.

I don't much care about other schools/teams uniforms, though I do pay attention.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'm hoping that maybe we make two changes, possibly three, to take these new uniforms from good to great: 1. Add pant stripes back to the white pant; 2. Add gold jersey and pant alternative; (and possibly 3. Modify black collar some, black/dark gray 2-tone?).
View attachment 61457
View attachment 61458
Only thing you are missing there is a gold helmet variant. Everything else looks perfect.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Only thing you are missing there is a gold helmet variant. Everything else looks perfect.
I have proposed a gold helmet in recent past. At this time I don't think we necessarily need a gold helmet nor should we be asking for one, provided we can get the gold pant and jersey (which I think needs to happen to get some 'gold' balance back).

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
To me I thought there was initially some possibility we might overdo the "Black". I don't think that has happened (yet). Now if we add back all this gold, including maybe getting a gold helmet, perhaps we might be overdoing it the other way, back in the direction of gold, getting those "ketchup and mustard" comments that we all hate.

There seems to be resistance to a gold helmet as well (support too for sure). Although I wouldn't mind a gold helmet (would even like it), there would be almost too many helmet options if we did have one (and kept white, black, cardinal and cardinal chrome helmets which I am also in favor of doing); only so many helmets to go around you know! Besides I was surprised how much I liked the black, white and cardinal helmets, the way we used them this year.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hayes30

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
To me I thought there was initially some possibility we might overdo the "Black". I don't think that has happened (yet). Now if we add back all this gold, including maybe getting a gold helmet, perhaps we might be overdoing it the other way, back in the direction of gold, getting those "ketchup and mustard" comments that we all hate.

There seems to be resistance to a gold helmet as well (support too for sure). Although I wouldn't mind a gold helmet (would even like it), there would be almost too many helmet options if we did have one (and kept white, black, cardinal and cardinal chrome helmets which I am also in favor of doing); only so many helmets to go around you know! Besides I was surprised how much I liked the black, white and cardinal helmets, the way we used them this year.
I would easily give up the chrome red helmet for a gold or a chrome gold helmet, we dont need 2 red helmets. My feeling is we need a gold set, cardinal set, white set and a black set, all complete sets, all made to mix and match however the team/CMC want. Then Multiple helmet sticker designs, that include some retro designs like other schools are using, especially bringing back the Orr Cyclone.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I would easily give up the chrome red helmet for a gold or a chrome gold helmet, we dont need 2 red helmets. My feeling is we need a gold set, cardinal set, white set and a black set, all complete sets, all made to mix and match however the team/CMC want. Then Multiple helmet sticker designs, that include some retro designs like other schools are using, especially bringing back the Orr Cyclone.
Definitely a can of worms here. I don't necessarily disagree with anything you have said here, all good. Reality is that I just don't think we will be getting a gold helmet. Would I like a complete gold set, for sure, yes!

I will be pleasantly surprised if we do get a gold set. Doesn't mean we can't keep asking for the gold, or having an opinion on the matter., (add: And I think we should all still be able to give opinion. It seems kind of 50/50, those for/those against gold helmet. The only voice that will really matter is the coaches though, in the end).

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Should they add a gold helmet? Heck Yes, well maybe! It would be nice and many of us think it might be a good idea. But it probably isn't realistic w/ this coaching staff nor practical to get a gold helmet when we already have 4 helmets/helmet colors?
Cy Uniforms 2018  o3ya - y r r  Std ISt2 Redface LongRed&YelSocks BlkCol1CY.jpg
Personally after this year, I like the 4 helmets we have now, and am not easily willing to get rid of the black helmet, for example, to make way for a gold one. Getting rid of the cardinal chrome helmet might be a good compromise. Or do we want to go w/ 5 helmets just to add gold? OK I guess if they are willing. But remember, ...only so many helmets to go around.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I think they will keep the 4 helmets we have now. And if they would occasionally add a little more gold elsewhere, e.g., pant, jersey, accessories (yeah like my opinion matters, haha), that would be good.

A little more gold at times, could be added with gold socks and accessories. I think we did very well with socks in the 2nd half of this season, BTW.

So case in point for the future without a gold helmet: How about rolling out with c/c/c and long, full length to-knee Gold socks once in a while? Kind of like the y/c/c, only in reverse. I would like to see that! Would it be as good as having a gold helmet? Probably not but definitely cheaper!!

So there are ways to get more gold out there (without getting a gold helmet), if they wanted to. It's all up to the Coaching staff and players anyway. Again, I would be in favor of a full gold set, just don't know if that will happen; so looking for the next best thing/ideas I guess.
Cy Uniforms 2018  o1a - r r r  RedChrHel Std ISt LongYel&RedSocks BlkCol1CY.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This years Black collar..? Yeah that is sort of a weak link. Many people it seems, don't like it.

During design I'm pretty sure the coaching staff and Nike uniform design team looked at many collar options for the red jersey with the idea of making black prominent. Adding cardinal or cardinal and gold (in addition to black) didn't/doesn't look right. Trust me I've tried. So they just went with an all-black collar.

That's what I think happened. "OK 5-6/10" rating by me on the first try.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
A simple solution to the Black collar might be to make it with 2-tone black. I generally liked the black collar and the idea of it, though the straight all-black end-result we saw this year perhaps wasn't the best manifestation.

Change it to a 2-tone black, make it like or very similar to the existing design on the White and Black jerseys, all of a sudden it looks more appealing. It would still be black like I think Coach wants (and I think that is one of the things also making this uniform set different and unique; so I am in favor of keeping the collar black). Yet it would fit into and match the overall design better instead of sticking out like a sore thumb like it kind of does now.

Here is a pic of 3 more black collar mods right next to the black uniform, for comparison. Why didn't they just make the red jersey collar like the black jersey one to begin with?
Cy Uniforms 2018  q9a 2020 unis Home WhtPantStr CY 6 5 4.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
A few more black collar mod examples, and the effect of the socks! Sorry, no gold helmet as I do not think we are getting one. I could be wrong.
Cy Uniforms 2018  q9a 2 2020 unis Home WhtPantStrOnly CY 6 2 4 5.jpg

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
A few more black collar mod examples, and the effect of the socks! Sorry, no gold helmet as I do not think we are getting one. I could be wrong.
View attachment 61534

Adding just a touch of the "other" color would at least fully coordinate the uniforms. I think the current unis are the best I've seen in my 40 years as a fan. But just a couple additional accents would really help.

upload_2019-1-11_13-37-23.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-11_13-34-8.png
    upload_2019-1-11_13-34-8.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Disagree
Reactions: everyyard