New Scholarship Offer

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
He may be the best RB in the state, but his best chance in college is at saftey. Good straight line speed. Needs to show better hips.

You may be right, but the way this kid dominates it's hard for me to believe that Iowa State can't offer this kid a chance to play for us. I have a hard time believing his lack of an offer has anything to do with talent.

ISU2010

Jun 20, 2010
I'm so proud to read about Jamison Lalk's offer. I saw that he was at the Utah game with his parents on an unofficial visit and overheard CPR saying some things to him that indicated an offer might be pending. Great to have an offer out to an in-state player with his size and athleticism to add depth to the offensive or defensive lines.

CPR shows once again that he's following the Ferentz model of program rebuilding by going after big-framed in-state athletes to develop into offensive and defensive linemen. With Iowa having so much success thus far getting higher rated out-of-state players committed for 2011, we appear to be poised to get several of the big framed athletes that in years past would have been surely headed to Iowa City. This will play into our advantage in years to come, you just wait and see...

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
He may be the best RB in the state, but his best chance in college is at saftey. Good straight line speed. Needs to show better hips.

I saw the CBAL and Harlan game Harlan Has a runningback AL had trouble with, quietly became Harlans all time leading rusher. 6' about 200. I know he has the speed for high school I have no idea at the college level.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
I'm so proud to read about Jamison Lalk's offer. I saw that he was at the Utah game with his parents on an unofficial visit and overheard CPR saying some things to him that indicated an offer might be pending. Great to have an offer out to an in-state player with his size and athleticism to add depth to the offensive or defensive lines.

CPR shows once again that he's following the Ferentz model of program rebuilding by going after big-framed in-state athletes to develop into offensive and defensive linemen. With Iowa having so much success thus far getting higher rated out-of-state players committed for 2011, we appear to be poised to get several of the big framed athletes that in years past would have been surely headed to Iowa City. This will play into our advantage in years to come, you just wait and see...

Are you being sarcastic? How is Iowa getting higher rated players an advantage for isu?Iowa still gets pretty much who they want instate

cyfan15

Oct 23, 2006
Are you being sarcastic? How is Iowa getting higher rated players an advantage for isu?Iowa still gets pretty much who they want instate

When Iowa is getting more highly rated recruits from out of state, that puts most of their focus on just the top rated Iowa players. That allows us to get more of the diamond in the rough types that Iowa has made a killing off of under Ferentz.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

No, they don't get pretty much who they want in-state because of something called a scholarship limit. You can bet if they had 150 scholarships to give instead of 85, guys like Lalk, Ebertowski, Cotton, Jevohn Miller, Dagel and Lintz would all be iowa commits right now. But they can't offer all of those kids because they only have a few spots to fill and have to sign the kids that they think have the best chance of being great players.

Think of this: If Rhoads would have been at ISU a year earlier, recruiting in the fashion he is now, ISU would have probably offered Dominic Alvis from Logan. He's a guy that iowa offered late and is now second team as a RSFR. A kid like that who commits to ISU in the summer isn't switching to iowa in January...or at least not likely to. Same thing with Tanner Miller who was going to UNI before iowa snagged him last year.

Funny, I could argue that iowa has done better with one offer in-state kids and walk-ons than they have with 4* players. If they want to leave those Iowa kids to ISU and only go after the big name kids (Blythe and French), that's fine by me. ISU beat iowa 5 years in a row under McCarney using that same philosophy.

Together2813

Mar 29, 2006
Omaha, NE
I saw the CBAL and Harlan game Harlan Has a runningback AL had trouble with, quietly became Harlans all time leading rusher. 6' about 200. I know he has the speed for high school I have no idea at the college level.

Barrett is the running back from Harlan. I am an AL grad and was at that Harlan vs AL game and really liked both RB's for both teams. I think that Lalk has very good hands and I hope ISU gives him some serious look as a tight end.

SPOONER

Apr 16, 2009
When Iowa is getting more highly rated recruits from out of state, that puts most of their focus on just the top rated Iowa players. That allows us to get more of the diamond in the rough types that Iowa has made a killing off of under Ferentz.

They didn't just sign them, they also developed them like crazy. If we don't have that kind of player development we won't be following the same plan, and all we'll be doing is signing a bunch of guys who no one else wants which will equal more games like last night.

Jun 14, 2010
They didn't just sign them, they also developed them like crazy. If we don't have that kind of player development we won't be following the same plan, and all we'll be doing is signing a bunch of guys who no one else wants which will equal more games like last night.
Don't be a dumb ***, player development is greatly enhanced when you are starting off with better material.
Many of their best signees have failed to develop- it is mostly on the player, not the program.