New Music Releases 2017

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I even like his album 1984, which was power-pop melodic punk album.....

I wasn't a fan, but I'm not into punk either. Probably the best thing that ever happened for his career was when he started his own record label so he could record weird stuff like that, release it, and get it out of his system. He spent so much of his early career butting heads with record labels over what to release and what kind of music to record. No way something like 1984 ever sees the light of day with Lost Highway Records.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Adding another one to the mix here, Meat Wave - The Incessant. Just started listening, they had come up on my Discover list on Spotify, but this new LP dropped today, they remind me of a combonation of 2 bands and I can't put my finger on it yet, very good listen so far. Vocally a little bit like Piebald....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I wasn't a fan, but I'm not into punk either. Probably the best thing that ever happened for his career was when he started his own record label so he could record weird stuff like that, release it, and get it out of his system. He spent so much of his early career butting heads with record labels over what to release and what kind of music to record. No way something like 1984 ever sees the light of day with Lost Highway Records.
I know he has a very heavy Bob Mould influence in writing(I think they have done a couple NPR sessions together), I think that album was his tribute to Husker Du.... I personally think it is undervalued a lot....

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The Nikki Lane album is pretty great, I have made it two times through both that and Prisoner and been delighted with both....

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Electric Guest released a new album today.
Thievery Corporation released a new album last Friday.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Just tracked down that Los Campesinos! has a new album this week also, forgot how much I liked them till I went back and listened to a few of the new singles. Probably work a listen for any Indie Pop/Indie Rock fans....

Reactions: Entropy

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Did anyone make it to Wooly's to see Dawes last night? If so, did anyone notice the lead singer looks remarkably like a cross between @ChrisMWilliams and Charlie Day?

IMG_9612-440x440.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: ChrisMWilliams

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The new Old 97's - Graveyard Whistling LP dropped last week, definitely worth a listen, not as good as the LP a few years back, Most Messed Up. But pretty great!!!

Reactions: Angie

DMCYFAN

Nov 27, 2006
Really loving this new "Landmark" album by the youngsters from Minnesota, Hippo Campus. Their early LPs were dope but I'm really digging their first full length album so far! First heard them at Lollapalooza 2015 and was really blown away and following them ever since.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Really loving this new "Landmark" album by the youngsters from Minnesota, Hippo Campus. Their early LPs were dope but I'm really digging their first full length album so far! First heard them at Lollapalooza 2015 and was really blown away and following them ever since.
Joe Cristo begs to differ, lol.

http://www.mndaily.com/article/2017/03/hippo-campus-landmark-review

But I'm with you, I think they got a cool sound. I hear them on the stations up here a lot because of them being local talent and Minnesotans loving Minnesotans and all.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Love them!

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Didn't see this posted, but Portugal. The Man is rumored to be currently finishing the final mixes of the bands eighth studio album GLOOMIN + DOOMIN (have also heard it could be called "Woodstock") with Mike D (Beastie boys) producing. They have been playing new music from it and samples on instagram,and released the full versions of "Noise Pollution." and "Feel It Still".

Going to see them at First Ave in Minneapolis at the end of the month and cant wait to hear their new stuff, along with their classics.

Feel it Still - Music Video just released the other day:

Reactions: cyguy9320