New Mexico first state to say no high school football

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Just got a note from nephews in Phoenix. They start school 01Aug - 100% on line. Of course Arizona is a super disaster, which we may match as we approach 800/day.

Nashville starts school August 4th and will be 100% online through at least Labor Day. Sports fall under the state and no decision has been made yet.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Dang. Those teachers have minimal
Amount of time to prepare.
In all fairness, I was just stating what I was just told. That plan may have been determine quite a while ago. I do not know when the decision was made, only when I became aware of it.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
In all fairness, I was just stating what I was just told. That plan may have been determine quite a while ago. I do not know when the decision was made, only when I became aware of it.
If its like Iowa, teachers here are being told to plan for both scenarios and have been since mid to late June. With the feeling being it'll likely be online at least here in crapids, but nothing concrete.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
If its like Iowa, teachers here are being told to plan for both scenarios and have been since mid to late June. With the feeling being it'll likely be online at least here in crapids, but nothing concrete.
From what I hear, it will likely be on line in our community too.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

IMO it's going to have to be all online.

What are they going to do when a couple kids test positive a few days into the school year? Send all the kids home for a couple weeks, clean the school, then bring everyone back for another few days until someone tests positive again.... then start the process all over again? Great plan!

Reactions: Pizzapitter

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
IMO it's going to have to be all online.

What are they going to do when a couple kids test positive a few days into the school year? Send all the kids home for a couple weeks, clean the school, then bring everyone back for another few days until someone tests positive again.... then start the process all over again? Great plan!

This will probably happen somewhere for sure.

Since you are clearly not in favor of it, what would be your plan if u were making decisions?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Or the current “plan” out of DC / “just kind of hope it goes away.”
Not of the opinion that pretend and hope will allow football and school.

No worries, the hot summer will kill the virus dead in its tracks! o_O

200712080252-new-heat-records-sunday-7-12-exlarge-169.jpg

Reactions: Cyclad

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Appreciate your perspective and agree with many of your comments. My wife is a former teacher and believes there will be many teachers leave the profession and it will be very hard to get subs, as you stated.
I think the currents plan out of des Moines is woefully inadequate, as does my wife and several teachers we know. If people want in person schooling, you need to contact the local school boards, your state representatives and the governors office and demand a good plan that does the best job possible to safeguard students, teachers and staff. It will not be easy.

This is where so many people miss the boat entirely. If you want to have changes or get things done, contact your local school board and administrators. Too many want to contact the governor or the state reps, 20 people talking to one school board moves the needle more than 20 talking to a state elected official.

The option to open enroll is out there, push to have that extended so kids can go to a school that more aligns with your beliefs and thoughts. You can also move to change schools to find a more effective one. There are options and choices, no matter what you do (doing nothing is an choice also) there are consequences to those choices, good and/or bad.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Local school was told to be prepared both ways back in April. Your school is behind the curve if they waited until June. I know the state mandated a class be finished by 6/30 in order to do online instruction.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

First summer I can remember in a few years where the weather is consistent for a few days and it happens to be the type that feels like an oven outside.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I hate to say this but I do not think there will any high school football in Iowa this fall. Pretty sure the ISHAA is leaning very heavily in that direction right now.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
https://www.iahsaa.org/football-2020-revised-schedule/

This is a big change with just a month to go before the season. Will be interesting to see how schedules change. They're also allowing Thurs/Saturday games if necessary. Makes it hard to have plans as a high school official - but I'm still just hoping we have a season.

Hopefully this will help to facilitate the Suburban Conference in the DSM metro so the biggest travel range would be like Ames to Indianola.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How so? As a former HS football coach, I would rather know now that we were not going to have a season, than bust my rear end preparing for a season, or even start practice and then have it cancelled.
Since I no longer coach, I really don't care one way or another, it sucks for the kids, but how many would not be allowed to play this year anyway because of the virus?

Until we change the rule to only the infected kid has to sit out, instead of the whole team for 14 days, we can never have a season. Better to make this decision now, than in 3 weeks when practice is gearing up and getting underway.
Today Iowa announced 744 new cases, its getting worse out there not better, and this virus is going to be with us for awhile.

My family in education prepared all summer for the strategies for this school year...only to have the Iowa governor make all of their work completely useless last week.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I've hit 115 quite regularly in the little strip of dessert I drive through to get to the Sierras on hiking trips. Near that western most dot.

Other years this time it would typically be more like 98-108. Above 110 is pretty rare in my trips even in that crazy hot area.