New Job at Deere..Need safety shoes with internal metatarsal protection

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Boxerdaddy, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Boxerdaddy

Boxerdaddy Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    #1 Boxerdaddy, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
    So today is my last real day at my old job and I start at John Deere on the 2nd (After a cyclone victory/NYE celebration in Memphis). Anywho, I need some special shoes for this I guess described as follows: "Safety shoes with internal metatarsal protection are required"

Does anyone have any ideas of where I can procure some of these? I would prefer to not spend any money but I guess not spending that much will have to do ;) Any ideas of where to look and what you've had experiences with? And more importantly which NOT to buy!

Also I live in Des Moines but will be traveling to eastern Iowa for Christmas so really any stores from Des Moines to Cedar Rapids/Iowa City will work.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

EDIT: Also I will be in an office job so I won't be too rough on these I guess. But they are required nonetheless

2. NebraskaCY

NebraskaCY Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Omaha
    I would ask Santa for them.

3. ISUAgronomist

ISUAgronomist Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Ag Research
    Close Enough, IA
    Redwings. Only boots I'll buy for work around equipment. Hit a Redwing shoe store and find what you like with "internal metatarsal protection"

4. Althetuna

Althetuna Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Male
    Lead Mechanical Engineer
    Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
    Sounds like just standard steel-toed boots. You can buy a low $$$ pair at Wal-Mart but I would suggest investing upfront and going to Red Wing Shoes and buying Wolverine boots. They are way more comfortable and will last longer.

Work Boots and Shoes - Shoe Finder - Red Wing Shoes

5. Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    Metatarsal is more than steel toe. Metatarsal protects the middle part of the foot. And I was looking into the redwings but didn't want to spend that much right now until I get into the job to make sure I didn't spend $200 on something that I might want to change. Does anyone here work for Deere?

Thanks again for the input and help guys!

6. psycln11

psycln11 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Ankeny
    Like others have said...Red Wing or G&L Clothing.

7. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2012
    I'm sure most Deere locations are similar but I know that the Ankeny plant has a shoe cart at the facility certain days of the week that you can purchase this type of shoe from.

8. Agclone91

Agclone91 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    Ames
    I've had two pairs of Wolverine steel toed boots and both wore out within about 10-11 months of every day wear. Bought a pair of LaCrosse work boots for my next pair, have had them for almost two years and they're still going strong.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    I will be working in the Ankeny plant. Do you know if they have better prices as a benefit to the employees or just some local company selling shoes there? Thanks I appreciate this info!

10. CyJack13

CyJack13 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2010
    Are you working on contract or for Deere? If it's for Deere they will pay for a portion of your shoes and as mentioned above they have a shoemobile that comes around on certain days. I would wait and buy from them.

11. HOTDON

HOTDON Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2006
    Fort Dodge, IA
  12. Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    Thanks guys. I will be on contract. So right now all communication has to go through 2 other sources (my recruiter to the other recruiting company then to Deere). Which means I just now found out a start time and dress code...I've been asking for 2 weeks lol. So I am lacking a ton of information. This is great and really appreciated!

13. Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    I'm going to show up in these since they haven't really explained what the heck I'm supposed to wear :)

[​IMG]

14. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2012
    It's not just some local company... there are a wide variety of shoes sold there. And I'm not sure how it works for a contractor, but for a Deere employee they come with a discount.

I would get in touch with one of your contacts at Deere and ask what they recommend. Although they may be closed for the remainder of the year now.

15. Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
    Beaverdale, IA
    Yep and that's the problem...they won't let me contact anyone there until I start...ugh. I know they are closed next week as well so maybe I'll just show up in flip flops.

But thanks for the info! Maybe I'll "rent" a pair from someplace that I can take them back after a half day's wear.

16. besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Reliability Engineer
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I'd second/third/whatever the Red Wings. If you go to the Red Wing shoe store, they are really good about listening to what you will be doing and getting you the right boot. Having to get metatarsal protection kinda sucks (it's a plate in the tongue of the boot that covers the top of your foot - can be inside the tongue, or sometimes it laces in and is removable). I think they re-sole your boots for free if I remember right. They also have a bunch of insoles and can fit them to you and your boots if they start to wear out.

It sucks to spend $200 on work boots, but as a contractor I assume it's at least tax deductible. And those things will last FOR-E-VER.

17. JH4ISU

JH4ISU Member

Mar 27, 2006
    Des Moines, IA
  18. ISUATC

ISUATC Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Pretty sure my Dad got them through Deere when he worked there and also pretty sure he got an employee discount.

19. cobraclone71

cobraclone71 Active Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Get a pair of these!

[​IMG]

20. ripvdub

ripvdub Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Male
    Sk-Ankeny
    I work at the Ankeny plant, id go with G and L over red wing, red wing are very expensive and not comfortable. There are companies that come to the plant and sell them. red wing doesn't have stylish office type dress boots, i work on the floor and wear them.
    They do have slip on protection that you can use temporarily if you don't have them first day, but you'll sound like a Clydesdale.
    There is an employee discount, but not sure if contingent employees receive that.