New Jack Trice Stadium Sign

4cyt

Jun 19, 2006
If the stated amount of $180k is correct I would have preferred it to go to renovating other areas of the stadium - I also liked the IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY over the JACK TRICE STADIUM - especially for the 360 days a year that there are not football games as that is one of the first landmarks you see when you enter Ames.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I also liked the IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY over the JACK TRICE STADIUM - especially for the 360 days a year that there are not football games as that is one of the first landmarks you see when you enter Ames.

With the brick gateway that says "Iowa State University" at University and Mortensen, it would be redundant to have "Iowa State University" on the stadium also.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
With the brick gateway that says "Iowa State University" at University and Mortensen, it would be redundant to have "Iowa State University" on the stadium also.

Yes, but you can't see that gateway if you come from the east, along S. 5th or S.16th, or the North (coming from 13th St or L-Way), where that IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY was prominently and proudly available.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny

Agree.

And as I mentioned already, they should be able to find a good use for the old "Iowa State University" letters.

And I'm not sure on this, but I think that $180,000 figure includes more than just the "Jack Trice Stadium" lettering. I thought it included all the signs, posters, lettering, etc around the entire stadium. Think of all the places where there was an old logo - ALL of that needs to be replaced.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Yes, but you can't see that gateway if you come from the east, along S. 5th or S.16th, or the North (coming from 13th St or L-Way), where that IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY was prominently and proudly available.

Although that isn't really the issue here because Geoffrey wants to build up Elwood as the entryway to the University so anyone who doesn't happen to know where the IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY campus is will be encouraged via road signage on 30 to take Elwood(ugh, University) so that they will come by that archway anyway.

And who knows, when the change the big sign at Hilton, they may decide to make that a marker for the University as well.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Can we add a laser to shoot heavenward at night when planes are not flying overhead? X marks the spot.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
I liked the old sign the IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY back light was classy and big time looking.

The new sign looks more like a high school stadium.

Reactions: CarolinaCy

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
How many high schools have 8-foot high lighted lettering on the outside of their 50K seat football stadium? Do tell.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
I don't necessarily have anything against the new signage (I think it will look better with the new logo on either side), but I did like the old one. I think it's unfortunate that it was torn down since it was only put up a few years ago. Kinda seems like a waste of money to me when we're struggling for money for other things. Couldn't they have just put the new logo on either side of the "Iowa State University" lettering?

Last edited:

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
I don't necessarily have anything against the new signage (I think it will look better with the new logo on either side), but I did like the old one. I think it's unfortunate that it was torn down since it was only put up a few years ago. Kinda seems like a waste of money to me when we're struggling for money for other things. Couldn't they have just put the new logo on either side of the "Iowa State University" lettering?

That's the Athletic Department for ya.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Touche, salesman. Like I said, I think the new signage looks fine. I just wonder whether it was actually a necessary expense.
I think the sign is definitely necessary in the long run. But, maybe not necessary in the short run. That being said, I love the new sign, I love how it adds more color to the stadium.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I'll add my 2 cents. I think the new sign looks great except the letter "J" doesn't stand out enough. It looks to much like a letter "I" to me. That should be easy enough to fix if the guys in charge happen to feel the same way.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
I think it's unfortunate that it was torn down since it was only put up a few years ago. Kinda seems like a waste of money to me...

I'll bring it up for a 3rd time...can't they find another spot for the "Iowa State University" letters???? Yeah, they tore them down, but it's not like they have to throw them away! Use them somewhere else! I'm sure they can do something very cool with them yet...so it wouldn't be a waste at all.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Maybe they are saving the letters and will incorporate them into the renovations down the road. (i.e. putting them up on the back of the upper deck of the south endzone)