New ESPN Ranking for Lazard

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I also think ESPN really puts more emphasis on offers than some of the others like Rivals. This isn't their main business so why not just let the coaches figure out the best players and then rank them on number and "quality" of the offers. I know they don't show the ND offer for example. But really this doesn't matter just a way to pass time till the season starts.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Could he be a bigger, quicker version of Blythe? Because Blythe was a man child.

Blythe ran a 4.65 at the combine. I don't think it's unreasonable for Lazard to get to 4.55 or a bit lower. Who knows where he's at with his growth and how far he is grown into his body. Lazard should fly by Blythe as a complete receiver. He's now going to be a Calvin Johnson freak but a Larry Fitzgerald or Chand Ochocinco type is certainly attainable if not more from a measurable standpoint. The rest is a crapshoot.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This. If you watch his highlights, the competition he plays against is clearly over matched. Also, for some inexplicable reason, in a lot of his highlights the opposition is in single man coverage with no help over the top. That's an entirely different discussion.

I think another reason is that ESPN and Nike are in bed together for the SPARQ testing at The Opening. Lazard's SPARQ score was very good, but his top-end speed did not test great. Of the 21 receivers who tested at The Opening, Lazard's 4.65 40 was 21st.

He was the slowest WR at the Opening? Link?

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
For a guy like Lazard? Yes. For a guy like Dupree? Probably not.

He just climbed almost 80 spots. Cripes.

And is a solid 4* on both. Also like that on eson we have no 2* guys all 3* + except for Will who hasnt been rated.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
So they are comparing him to Prater, and saying he doesn't have the same defeceincies as him, which by my comprehension means he might be a little better than him. Well why was Prater the number 1 receiver and number 3 overall recruit, and Lazard is number 149?
they got burned by prater and lazard looks enough like him they were scared of getting burned. I read that as he coukd be the #1 player or like prader so we are hedging our bets at #150.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
ESPN recruiting is trash. Rivals is much better. I honestly hope not many people on here follow ESPN recruiting.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
I assumed ESPN only ranked the top 150 as 4 stars. I dont put any weight into ESPN so i dont care how they do it. I was making a point how odd it is that they are so far apart in the two ranking services but that apparently went over your heads. I would imagine he has the biggest discrepancy of the two sites of anyone inside the top 150

Its top 300 for a 4 star in football I believe.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
knowing our luck he'll break his leg skiing this winter or something.

Admittedly, ^^^^^ this post was a long time ago, but I need to say: You shut your ***** mouth. Shut it, and keep it shut. Someone oughta slap you upside your dumb head fer sayin' something like that.

<mumbling....it's okay Alan...you'll be fine...who even likes skiing anyway? You just stay home and watch the Okie State video on repeat...>

mtown...you cut me deep, man...you cut me deep.....

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't know a lot about recruiting, but here are 2 things I've noticed:

1. When watching highlight tapes for recruits I often wonder how the coaches get anything out of that. They all look the same. Lazard's was the first that jumped out at me and made me think I was watching a future D-1 football player.

2. I watched Lazard in that 7 on 7 thing out in Oregon last month. He looked as good or better than anyone there.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So when we land Wesley people talk about how fast he is but he lacks size. Wesley runs a 4.64. Now Lazard has the size but his knock is his speed and he runs a 4.65?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
ESPN, Rivals, Scout, 247 they are all equal to me. I think the best thing to do is look at all of them. They value different things.

rich4cy

Apr 11, 2006
For the record, I have trained Kyle Prater since he was in High School. Once he gets healthy, because he has basically been injured his entire college career he will be a great NFL WR. I'm guessing ESPN's analysts haven't heard Prater's name in a couple years and considers him a bust. The back story is he has dealt with a ton injuries