New Coach, Fresh Start

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I said I didn't want 320-lb slobs on our D-line. Are you calling Rubin a 320-lb slob? Why is this so hard for people to understand.

Ok, I'll say it again, and just imagine I'm talking very slowly so you can get it. We....... need........ to......... have........ athletic.......... defensive........ linemen.......... regardless................ of.............. size.

Stop getting so hung up on a guy's height and weight. Either the guy can play or he can't.

You are the one who made the call between 280 pound guys and 320 pound slobs. If you said you wanted to have athletic DL regardless of size I'd agree with you, but you're the one that made the comment about height and weight.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I think somebody on our O-Line has to make the switch to the defensive side of the ball. We are severely undersized at the DT spot. Don't think we have anybody above 280 (playing weight)

You are the one who made the call between 280 pound guys and 320 pound slobs. If you said you wanted to have athletic DL regardless of size I'd agree with you, but you're the one that made the comment about height and weight.

No, I was quoting arganbright2, who was upset that no one on the d-line was over 280.

Again, please learn to read before calling someone out.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
I hope that was sarcasm in the first part of that post. We were only the worst defense in a major conference last year....

Not completely true. In total D we were 11/12 in the Big 12....ahead of mighty TAMU. We were also ahead of Washington and Washington St. for other major conference schools. In Passing D we ranked ahead of Mizzou and in Rush D we were ahead of K-State and TAMU.

I guess we weren't as bad as everyone thought:jimlad:

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I get what you are saying CarolinaCy. I'm just a big fan of having one or two guys that eat up blocks and let linebackers come up and make plays against the run. Jordan Carstens used to be double teamed or sealed off by a fullback when he played. We don't have a good enough pass rush from our DE's or the best linebacker corps right now though

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I get what you are saying CarolinaCy. I'm just a big fan of having one or two guys that eat up blocks and let linebackers come up and make plays against the run. Jordan Carstens used to be double teamed or sealed off by a fullback when he played. We don't have a good enough pass rush from our DE's or the best linebacker corps right now though

I think the landscape of the Big 12 has changed a lot even since Carstens played though. Gone are the days of double tight ends and fullbacks who stayed in to block on pass plays. Most Big 12 teams are relying on 5 guys to block 4 in passing situations. While that obviously provides the opportunity for 1 guy to be double-teamed, there's a lot of 1-on-1 matchups in the trenches. I think we need to have some strong athletic guys to win those matchups and get to the opposing QB.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo

I too as many know believe in this philosophy as well. However, after looking at South Floridas roster and recent starters, i think in Burnhams eyes the double teams will come from not the raw physical size of someone but the burst off the ball that immediately allows for mismatches and takes the offense from dictating to defending the gaps.

Another team that does a great job of this style is EIU.....they routinely have 275-280 d-tackles that attack. Thats what i see South Florida doing, attacking the gaps and not allowing the Oline to dictate matchups. What this usually requires is natural, fluid athletes at the LB position because a lot of times they will need to scrap and flow to the ballcarrier because if the DL jumps the wrong gap, then that OL is released to pick up a LB. One other thing, and i'm not sure if Wally will use it, but by keeping your lineman athletic and size in check, this also enables the defense to do zone blitzes much more friendly because the DL can possible get a drop to a zone.

I'm really liking this staff and their approach....I told a hawk buddy of mine last night that i really really liked the hiring of Chizik but not his staff. The roles are reversed here. I really questioned the hiring of Rhoads but after hearing him and seeing him in action especially with assembling his staff, he really has a firm grasp on how and whats needed to be successful!!!!!

Reactions: CarolinaCy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron