New Coach, Fresh Start

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
From the picture, it looks like Mansfield is working with the DL.

I can't tell, but if it is, that might be a good move. That kid is a small tank. I've seen him last year move some weight!! Let's hope he plays the DL like he lifts weights, then we might be in good shape!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
“I think it’s my job to not only coach players, but to coach coaches on what’s going to make us a better football team. And when I get the opportunity, whether it’s to kick somebody in the tail or pat them on the back, I will always continue to do that.”

Teaching his asst coaches, that is what good coaches do.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I think somebody on our O-Line has to make the switch to the defensive side of the ball. We are severely undersized at the DT spot. Don't think we have anybody above 280 (playing weight)

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Hopefully that was Haughton, that guy sounds like he's huge.

I was hoping they would move Mansfield to D-End, for no other reason than he just looks the part. Bad reasoning but that's why.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Herman and Rhoades got rid of the H-back/FB position altogether from what I understand. That explains why Ekwelundu is at linebacker and Mansfield is at DE. Edwelundu should have been there are along in my opinion.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Nice article for an Eastern Iowa paper. The Gazette doesn't do as many articles on ISU as the Register, but the ones they do are mostly great. Great photo's showing off the practice facility.

Fresh Start is exactly the way I feel with Rhoads. I was torn after McCarney was let go, but have no reservations about accepting the new coach over what we had.:yes:

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I think somebody on our O-Line has to make the switch to the defensive side of the ball. We are severely undersized at the DT spot. Don't think we have anybody above 280 (playing weight)

If we have an athetic, agressive defense, I really don't see this being a problem.

I'll take an athletic 280-pounder over a 320-pound slob any day of the week.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Herman and Rhoades got rid of the H-back/FB position altogether from what I understand. That explains why Ekwelundu is at linebacker and Mansfield is at DE. Edwelundu should have been there are along in my opinion.

No Fullback...Hmm... I guess you don't really see it much in college football anymore.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
"The system Rhoads and offensive coordinator Tom Herman are installing will be the third for Arnaud at Iowa State. By the time he finishes, he’ll have mastered the art of learning on the fly."

Poor guy. However, his stats are proving that he can handle it. I wonder if it actually somewhat give him an edge.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Nice article and I'm more confident in our football future than I have been in a long time. I know PR is unproven, but we now have a coach that not only wants to stay here but is enthusiastic, smart, hard working and dedicated. I don't think we've had a coach with all of those qualities in a long time. Maybe I'm going overboard too early but I have a lot of confidence in PR and the staff he's put together.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
While this technically may be the third offense Arnaud has learned during his time here, that first system he learned was in Dan McCarney's last year here, which was his redshirt year. While he was learning the system, I just wouldn't take too much stock into this whole "OMFG, this guy is in his third offense in 4 years." Seems a little overplayed to me.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
If we have an athetic, agressive defense, I really don't see this being a problem.

I hope that was sarcasm in the first part of that post. We were only the worst defense in a major conference last year....

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
I hope that was sarcasm in the first part of that post. We were only the worst defense in a major conference last year....

Isn't that what this coaching staff is preaching? An athletic, agressive defense? Maybe I missed something, but I thought that was the goal of our defensive coaches. I was just pointing out how 320-lb run cloggers don't exactly fit the mold of "agressive".

Our defense wasn't terrible last year because our d-line didn't average 300+ pounds. Our defense was terrible because we couldn't pressure the QB or cover any receivers.

I guess we just need to feed our d-linemen some Ultra Weight Gain 4000 and get them all up to 320 pounds. We'll be unstoppable!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

...hopefully that was mostly due to ****-poor coaching and trying to stick with a defensive scheme that we clearly did not have the athletes for when it clearly was not working.

Hopefully the defense will improve with better coaching and using schemes that better fit the existing talent on just those two principles alone.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

God knows we'd hate to have another Tuba Rubin on this team. That would be terrible. :jimlad:

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
God knows we'd hate to have another Tuba Rubin on this team. That would be terrible. :jimlad:

I said I didn't want 320-lb slobs on our D-line. Are you calling Rubin a 320-lb slob? Why is this so hard for people to understand.

Ok, I'll say it again, and just imagine I'm talking very slowly so you can get it. We....... need........ to......... have........ athletic.......... defensive........ linemen.......... regardless................ of.............. size.

Stop getting so hung up on a guy's height and weight. Either the guy can play or he can't.