New class 5A for HS Football.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AppleCornCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2020
I graduated in 2005. My high school class started with ~250 and finished with a little over 200.

The class after that was about 20 smaller. Then again. Then again. Then again.

Boone's demographics are about the best example of the end of the "echo" from the Baby Boom that I've ever found. Boomers end in 1964, which if you advance forward 25 to 35 years, equals 1989 to 1999.

Which translates into the Class of 2007 through the Class of 2017. And that is right when Boone's class sizes collapsed.

Boone ‘06 here. I want to say when I was in school, Boone was one of the two or three biggest schools in 3A. I think the Toreadors were district runners up Fall of 2004 and winners in 2005.

If Boone ends up in a new 4A district with schools like Fort Dodge, Norwalk, Indianola, Hoover, DC Grimes, maybe even Urbandale, they’re going to get destroyed.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Boone ‘06 here. I want to say when I was in school, Boone was one of the two or three biggest schools in 3A. I think the Toreadors were district runners up Fall of 2004 and winners in 2005.

If Boone ends up in a new 4A district with schools like Fort Dodge, Norwalk, Indianola, Hoover, DC Grimes, maybe even Urbandale, they’re going to get destroyed.
On a bright side they may get Mason City in their district.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

Dude, I am from a total ******** 3A town and even we made fun of Boone.

Still do.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
All of this classification discussion is quite interesting. As a fan of Iowa State University football, will any of this make any difference to the quality of in-state recruits? Will it help Iowa State University win more games?

Maybe.

If more kids have reason to compete, it may be likely that a great player can develop no matter what the school attended is classified. So allowing for competition to continue as opposed to having schools discontinue the sport, then that seems great.

For pure competitiveness, I hope over time there can be a solution.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90