New Belgium announces sale to Lion Little World Corp

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
It’s garbage and yet it’s one of the highest selling beers of all time. It’s been the same for how long? Why does Fat Tire need to change? Just because something gets big doesn’t mean it needs to change. Sam Adams has been huge for a long time. Hasn’t changed.
Jesus you're defensive about this, and you're missing my point. I'm not saying it should change. There's a market for it, they're a business, so they make decisions accordingly. Doesn't mean that I think they have a quality product, in comparison to many other things out there on the market.

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
It would be interesting to see a really good analysis of trends in beer with actual volume sold etc. There are so many options available now and the trend seems to be more about being new and different than anything else which has to be hard to keep up with. It's honestly become a little ridiculous but I love it. I wonder how many of essentially the same beer has been created under many different names/labels/breweries.

I think there will always be a space for the New Belgium types of the world. I'm very much caught up in the always have to try something new (Gotta check in a new unique beer on Untappd. Oh look there's a rare beer on Tavour from some brewery in South Carolina I've never heard of, I better try it), but I almost always also have some version of Lagunitas, New Belgium or Founders in the fridge as well as my "house beer". I would assume those breweries also do a fair amount of volume in bars/restaurants that don't have micro/local options available. I would guess my last several Fat Tires were purchased when I asked a waitress what do you have on tap and the answer was "Bud Light, Busch Light, Budweiser, Miller Light, Fat Tire".

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Jesus you're defensive about this, and you're missing my point. I'm not saying it should change. There's a market for it, they're a business, so they make decisions accordingly. Doesn't mean that I think they have a quality product, in comparison to many other things out there on the market.

If you don't think Budweiser tastes good, you either haven't tried it or are just trying to hard.

A cold Bud at a hot ballgame is almost impossible to beat. I'm not saying that there aren't better beers, but they don't sell billions of them all over the world because it sucks. Now Bud Light on the other hand....

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If you don't think Budweiser tastes good, you either haven't tried it or are just trying to hard.

A cold Bud at a hot ballgame is almost impossible to beat. I'm not saying that there aren't better beers, but they don't sell billions of them all over the world because it sucks. Now Bud Light on the other hand....

I agree. I love to sample a different variety of beers...but Bud "Heavy" is a very good tasting beer! I don't order it or buy it like I used to...but it is good!

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
It would be interesting to see a really good analysis of trends in beer with actual volume sold etc. There are so many options available now and the trend seems to be more about being new and different than anything else which has to be hard to keep up with. It's honestly become a little ridiculous but I love it. I wonder how many of essentially the same beer has been created under many different names/labels/breweries.

I think there will always be a space for the New Belgium types of the world. I'm very much caught up in the always have to try something new (Gotta check in a new unique beer on Untappd. Oh look there's a rare beer on Tavour from some brewery in South Carolina I've never heard of, I better try it), but I almost always also have some version of Lagunitas, New Belgium or Founders in the fridge as well as my "house beer". I would assume those breweries also do a fair amount of volume in bars/restaurants that don't have micro/local options available. I would guess my last several Fat Tires were purchased when I asked a waitress what do you have on tap and the answer was "Bud Light, Busch Light, Budweiser, Miller Light, Fat Tire".

Large national brands like New Belgium, Founders, Deschutes, FW, Lagunitas and Stone are slowly dying. Sure they still have some large market share because they are on the shelves of every store, but local breweries are taking large chunks away from them...especially in larger markets where you have plenty to choose from. I don't blame NBB on bit for selling in this climate. The bubble is starting to burst so you may as well take the money when you can.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
Good question! I buy 'too much' craft beer, and early on I loved Fat Tire, Sam Adams, Boulevard. Frankly I find a lot of the local Iowa stuff is just better. I am pumped that Barn Town is going to start canning soon, that is my clear favorite of anything out there. You are going to find plenty in Iowa to satisfy whatever your heart desires. A favorite of mine in Ames is Torrent -- their Midnight Milk Stout is great. While I'm talking about it, just about everything I try from Lake Time Brewery is wonderful.

I was in Moline for work a couple weeks ago and had some great beer at Bent River. Took home some NEIPA from Wake Brewing. Also found some cans of another beer I tried at a restaurant and loved that happened to be from 4 Hands Brewing in St. Louis.

I see the 'national' stuff a lot and frankly I'm not that tempted. I may pick out a 6 of Firestone Walker or some of the UFO beer I discovered this summer, if we are talking out-of-market beers -- but those don't really compare to these larger, established breweries you are talking about. Usually I am going to hold out for something more local.
Oreo Speedwagon is so delicious

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I haven't tried Oreo Speedwagon yet, but most recently I was fortunate to find Imperial Peanut Butter Stout on tap locally and it is all kinds of awesome. I am hoping I can find this in cans locally.

Thanks for the rec! I will have to try it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Question for you beer guys -

I've been out of the craft beer world for about 3 years now. before that i was heavily involved in all the happenings. Now I maybe buy 1 or 2 4/6 packs a month. My question is, how much time and money do you spend on the bigger regional/national craft brands, now that Iowa has such a vibrant local craft brew scene of its own?

Outside of a few seasonal releases from some bigger regional brands, there is so much to choose from local breweries that IMO are making a highly competitive product. I'm not tempted to look for a good IPA from Stone, Ballast Point, Surly, or who-have-you anymore, when I Iook at the selection of Confluence, Big Grove, Singlespeed, etc. So when I see these big sellouts happen, I guess I now more or less just think, "well when was I gonna buy any New Belgium anyways?" Seems to me like the craft brew scene is incredibly localized with micro and nano breweries providing more than enough quality options for local beer enthusiasts. This would lead me to assume that sales for brands like Boulevard, Sam Adams, NB, etc would naturally decrease. Maybe that's not the case?

I'm quickly falling out of the craft beer loop (I still drink craft beer, I just don't really "keep up" with it or give any ***** about this or that release) in a broader sense, but I've been sliding more and more towards exclusively Iowa products. Our local liquor store carries a full compliment of Single Speed, TG, Backpocket, and Lake Time, and in any of the bigger towns (Cedar Falls/Waterloo) you can find plenty of Big Grove, Lion's Bridge, Confluence, et al.

Plus, I'm less than 20 minutes from Pulpit Rock.

Other than Lagunitas Day Time (best session IPA on the market) or O'Dell's, if I'm buying craft beer, it's probably from Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin (we get a lot of Schell's and Pearl Street at the local liquor store too).

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I haven't tried Oreo Speedwagon yet, but most recently I was fortunate to find Imperial Peanut Butter Stout on tap locally and it is all kinds of awesome. I am hoping I can find this in cans locally.

Thanks for the rec! I will have to try it.

The first batch two years ago was incredible. Last year when I was home for Christmas I was as impressed. Much less vanilla. Still worth a try!

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Peanut Butter Porter is the best Lake Time adjunct dark beer. It's always delicious. Oreo Speedwagon has never been that high on my list, but I don't think there's enough interesting flavors in oreos to really stand out in a beer.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
There are so many alternatives in FoCo or anywhere for that matter. I do love Fat Tire Belgian White, but I love other local breweries that knock the pants off NB, in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: isukendall

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Soul squared right now makes my favorite craft beer in a can. I love the picture reminds me of playing disc golf in Ames and I also used a forehand throw. Not to mention it content is 7.5%.
Fore throw.PNG

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
There are so many alternatives in FoCo or anywhere for that matter. I do love Fat Tire Belgian White, but I love other local breweries that knock the pants off NB, in my opinion.

Give me say, your top 5 list of favorite breweries in the Fort Collins area the next time I am out there that I should visit or try out. My in-laws live in Longmont, so I travel to the area from time to time.

WeldWerks in Greeley is already on my list to try out.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
Give me say, your top 5 list of favorite breweries in the Fort Collins area the next time I am out there that I should visit or try out. My in-laws live in Longmont, so I travel to the area from time to time.

New Belgium
Odell
Soul Squared
Horse and Dragon brewing (Sad Panda is better than Guinness. Yes, I said it, and it needed to be said)
Snowbank brewing (They will can up a beer for you right on the spot.)

Rockymtcy

Oct 2, 2018
My sister went to school in Wisconsin. We would roadtrip there a couple times a year from Ames, because there was cheap beer to be had. Some not great, like Huber ($4.99/case bottles) and Blatz. Some ok, Old Style, and PBR. Some I liked Leinenkugels and Point. We would buy as much as we could afford and bring it back to Ames. Prior to Miller owning Lienies at was something like $1.99 a 6 pack.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
New Belgium
Odell
Soul Squared
Horse and Dragon brewing (Sad Panda is better than Guinness. Yes, I said it, and it needed to be said)
Snowbank brewing (They will can up a beer for you right on the spot.)

Thanks for the recommendations! I look forward to trying them all.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

your in-laws must be smart people.

• Funny