New Belgium announces sale to Lion Little World Corp

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
I'll compare the craft beer scene with the biking scene. The people that are really into biking will talk about it with like-minded people. They will research, plan, look for new and interesting places to ride, buy the newest shiny bits. They aren't as likely to ride a Trek or Specialized - the two biggest brands of good bikes. But Trek and Specialized will send hundreds of thousands of bikes.

People into craft breweries will do many of the same things. They aren't as likely to drink Sam Adams or New Belgium, but thousands and thousands of their more casual beer drinking friends will.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
It's a business, and they've done what it takes to grow and be successful. Not denying that.

But extrapolate exactly what you just said, to the highest level, and you get Budweiser. Which is garbage.

So yes, sales often come at the expense of quality.

It’s garbage and yet it’s one of the highest selling beers of all time. It’s been the same for how long? Why does Fat Tire need to change? Just because something gets big doesn’t mean it needs to change. Sam Adams has been huge for a long time. Hasn’t changed.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
What I'm saying is that it matters more that it sells rather than the fact that it is a quality product. For example, they have had many great beers in the past that were crowd favorites but later axed, such as Mothership Wit, Mighty Arrow, 2 Below, Biere de Mars, Blue Paddle, Ranger IPA, list goes on. Instead, they've done things that apparently move more beer, like make 5 IPAs that have a skeleton on a skateboard (the kids love it, says their marketing department), or brand completely unrelated beers with previously successful beers' names instead of brewery name (e.g. "Fat Tire Belgian White").

Many of the beers they have out now are good, but certainly not excellent quality. They're made to appeal to the masses and sell.
Voodoo ranger variations are superior to the original ranger IPA.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I'll compare the craft beer scene with the biking scene. The people that are really into biking will talk about it with like-minded people. They will research, plan, look for new and interesting places to ride, buy the newest shiny bits. They aren't as likely to ride a Trek or Specialized - the two biggest brands of good bikes. But Trek and Specialized will send hundreds of thousands of bikes.

People into craft breweries will do many of the same things. They aren't as likely to drink Sam Adams or New Belgium, but thousands and thousands of their more casual beer drinking friends will.

and which product would you rather own?

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames
It’s garbage and yet it’s one of the highest selling beers of all time. It’s been the same for how long? Why does Fat Tire need to change? Just because something gets big doesn’t mean it needs to change. Sam Adams has been huge for a long time. Hasn’t changed.
For me it comes down to I'd rather have my dollars stay home rather than some oversees international conglomerate. Not to say I will strictly abstain, but when I have the option to stay local and buy a comparable if not better product it is an easy choice.

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames
so why did you buy fat tire before hearing this?
Because it was amazing compared to the Keystone light I was drinking in 2005-2010, then it became available in the state and the novelty of having it brought in from out of state wore off and more and more beers that I prefer came to market.

Colorado

Aug 29, 2008
Colorado
and which product would you rather own?
Not Trek or Specialized or New Belgium or Sam Adams.

But casual beer drinkers and bike riders would disagree. I think of New Belgium as my gateway brewery. I will still buy their products but I am much more likely to pick a smaller, local brand instead.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
For me it comes down to I'd rather have my dollars stay home rather than some oversees international conglomerate. Not to say I will strictly abstain, but when I have the option to stay local and buy a comparable if not better product it is an easy choice.
Not Trek or Specialized or New Belgium or Sam Adams.

But casual beer drinkers and bike riders would disagree. I think of New Belgium as my gateway brewery. I will still buy their products but I am much more likely to pick a smaller, local brand instead.

because they aren’t as popular? Ok.

• Dumb
Reactions: discydisc

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
A lot of people eat at McDonald's. Doesn't mean I want to eat there over a local restaurant

• Agree
Reactions: BACyclone

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
You're a troll? Ok.

you are telling me you won’t drink a beer anymore because it’s more popular than another beer. And I’m the troll?

Spending money at either place keeps the money in the city. You think New Belgium won’t have local employees, local taxes, local charity donations?

Just drink the beer you like.

discydisc

Jan 14, 2014
Ames
you are telling me you won’t drink a beer anymore because it’s more popular than another beer. And I’m the troll?

Spending money at either place keeps the money in the city. You think New Belgium won’t have local employees, local taxes, local charity donations?

Just drink the beer you like.
Where did I say I won't drink their beer?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron