New beer news

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
In other news. Iowa is getting more and more Lagunitas selections (no Sucks yet), Great Divide, and New Holland.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Definitely enjoying the Great Divide selection. Stone Ruination is my victory beer. Iowa needs more sour beers. I'm a huge sour beer fan.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
In other news. Iowa is getting more and more Lagunitas selections (no Sucks yet), Great Divide, and New Holland.

With the opening of the Chicago brewery, I'd imagine you'll start seeing a lot more of it. I was at an event in Millenium Park in Chicago this past weekend they were at. A lot more wine and food, but they were a definitely a highlight for me as they were dishing out all you could drink. I've really taken a liking to Lagunitas.

They were pouring Sucks, IPA, their wheat and then a (Crap, really long name) Couch something or other Red Ale that was really good. Hopped up red ale only available in the tap room or special events like that.

Goose Island did a really nice Octoberfest this year as well that they were serving there.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
I bought some Sucks last week. Holy grapefruit flavor, Batman. It was one of those beers that took me about a week to appreciate, and now I want more.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Sucks should be in Iowa in November some time.

I'm actually really excited about "Enjoy After". I've been hearing about it for a long time now and it will be interesting to see what Stone does with Brett. I would think their over-hopping of all of their beers would completely kill that Brett character, but who knows.

Did any Fanatics head up to Schera's for Zwanze?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Sucks should be in Iowa in November some time.

I'm actually really excited about "Enjoy After". I've been hearing about it for a long time now and it will be interesting to see what Stone does with Brett. I would think their over-hopping of all of their beers would completely kill that Brett character, but who knows.

Did any Fanatics head up to Schera's for Zwanze?

I wanted to but I was at Cantillon in Brussels :) We're you there, I heard it was a lot of fun?

Last edited:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I don't know much about this brewer but I tried their Flanders Red at Red Monk and it was pretty awesome. I've also had their Hoperation Overlord in a can which was decent.

http://www.brewbound.com/news/2014/destihl-releases-wild-sour-series-in-cans

[h=1]DESTIHL Releases Wild Sour Series in Cans[/h]
Posted September 30, 2014 at 10:21 AM by Press Release

in[COLOR=#333333 !important]Share

Bloomington, IL — DESTIHL® Brewery, of Bloomington, Illinois, is excited to announce its upcoming, groundbreaking release of its Wild Sour Series in cans starting this October.
The first Wild Sour Series can to hit the market will be Here Gose Nothin’[SUP]TM[/SUP], which will be the brewery’s flagship, year-round canned sour. It is a traditional, German/Leipzig-style Gose, which undergoes spontaneous fermentation and exhibits a complex, ‘no-holds-barred’ acidic flavor and aroma contributed by wild yeast and lactic fermentation. Lemon, lime and other citrus-like qualities are present in aroma and on the palette, which is balanced by the spicy character of added coriander and a stylistic mineral-mouthfeel from added sea salt. The beer has a 5% ABV.
The Gose (a 2014 Silver Medal recipient at both the Los Angeles International Beer Competition and BTI’s World Beer Championship) will be soon followed in November by the release of Flanders Red, which has an initial impression of tart cherries and sour candy that dissipates into a complex palate displaying both a sharp lactic sourness with a backbone of caramel and biscuit malt profiles at 6.1% ABV, making it perfect for fall and winter months. Counter ClockWeisse[SUP]TM[/SUP] (a 3% ABV Berliner-style Weisse, which won a Gold medal this summer at the Denver International Beer Competition and Silver at BTI’s World Beer Championship) will then hit the market in March 2015, and Lynnbrook[SUP]TM[/SUP] Raspberry Sour Ale (the brewery’s new fruited Berliner-style Weisse that recently received a Gold Medal at both BTI’s World Beer Championship and the Indiana State Fair) will be released next June to round out the canned sour series. The Wild Sours will be available to sample (on draft) at the brewery’s booth at this year’sGreat American Beer Festival[SUP]®[/SUP].
“DESTIHL will be the only brewery (that we know of anyway since things change daily now!) that is packaging an entire series of sour beers in cans and one of less than a handful of breweries that has put sour beer in a can at all,” said Matt Potts, DESTIHL’S founder, CEO and Brewmaster. “This is something we have wanted to do for years, so it is awesome to see this canned Wild Sour Series become a reality.”
The Wild Sour beers will hit the shelves in 4-packs of 12-ounce cans in all 13 markets the brewery currently distributes to, including Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Arizona, Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Louisiana, Oregon, Washington and Florida, and joins the brewery’s existing can line-up of Abbey’s Single[SUP]TM[/SUP],Hoperation Overload[SUP]TM[/SUP] Double IPA and Strawberry Blonde Ale as well as another new can release planned for this fall: Vertex IPA[SUP]TM[/SUP] (to be announced soon).
DESTIHL will also be announcing in October its plans to begin releasing bottles of its highly regarded and widely anticipated barrel-aged Saint Dekkera® Reserve Sour Ales that have been aging for over a year at its new production brewery.
About DESTIHL
DESTIHL opened its first gastrobrewpub (DESTIHL Restaurant & Brew Works) in Normal, Illinois, in November 2007 and added its second gastrobrewpub in downtown Champaign in April 2011, where the company focuses on both artisan food and beers. DESTIHL’s 20,000sf production brewery in Bloomington, IL commenced operations on May 31, 2013 and includes a 25-barrel brewhouse, fermentation capacity of 15,000 barrels annually, plus a few hundred oak barrels and French oak foudres dedicated to aging its sour ales.
[/COLOR]

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce to you....Costco Beer:

20141005_123356.jpg

$22 for 2 cases. Haven't had any, but just had to buy it for the sheer silliness of it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Picked up some Stone Xocoveza Mocha Stout today from the Ankeny Hy-Vee. Supposed to be excellent. Probably should have bought a few.

– This is the winning beer at Stone’s Annual Homebrew Competition and AHA Rally on March 15, 2014. Previous winning beers have been entered into the GABF Pro-Am Competition

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/128500/

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Looks like its made up in Monroe, WI at Minhas. I can't imagine anything good could possibly come out of that box.

Yeah, no...it's not good. I'm only surprised in the fact that most of the Kirkland branded stuff is pretty good, but when I've had 2 beers out of the batch so far that tasted drastically different than the rest, that's not good. Even the rest of them are not very clean at all, a lot of off flavors. I mean, at $22 for 48 beers, I shouldn't have been surprised, but like I said, most Kirkland stuff is at least 'not bad', and in a recent mailer, they were bragging on their Kirkland branded products and how they are such sticklers about picking high quality products.

:rolleyes: I guess.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ck-hollow-brewery-wild-fermentation/17186937/

Don't miss this Thursday's tasting from 4 to 7 p.m. We'll be hosting Black Hollow Brewing's Indiegogo campaign launch party with TCS's favorite mohawk worker bee, Darren Vanden Berge and his partner Kevin Hall.

You'll be the first lucky folks to get a taste of the wild-fermented beers that Black Hollow plans to brew, the likes of which Iowa has never seen.

So come and check it out, and slip the guys a few bucks on Indiegogo. Read more about the brewers and what they're doing here.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ck-hollow-brewery-wild-fermentation/17186937/

Don't miss this Thursday's tasting from 4 to 7 p.m. We'll be hosting Black Hollow Brewing's Indiegogo campaign launch party with TCS's favorite mohawk worker bee, Darren Vanden Berge and his partner Kevin Hall.

You'll be the first lucky folks to get a taste of the wild-fermented beers that Black Hollow plans to brew, the likes of which Iowa has never seen.

So come and check it out, and slip the guys a few bucks on Indiegogo. Read more about the brewers and what they're doing here.

That's awesome.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you've never had it and you like fresh hop IPA's, Sierra Nevada Celebration comes out this week. A classic that's been around for over 30 years.

Sierra-Nevada-Celebration-2014-960x822.jpg

For people that say "it's too early". "According to the brewery, over 90 percent of the world's hop harvest happens between Aug. 31 and Oct. 31. All of these hops are used throughout the calendar year, but fresh hops "are the freshest dried hops to come from the fields, typically within seven days of harvest."

Scores a 93/100 on BA

deanslist

Oct 7, 2011
I'll second that. Great Christmas beer. I'll probably wait until November to get in the spirit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron