New $49.5 mil dorm at ISU

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Do they not give Freshmen the option to live offsite? If not that would be a nice solution.

Yes they do have that option. A huge majority choose to live on campus for their first year which is a good decision IMO.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I don't know whether he has seen anything or not, but Iowa State FP&M may have rough sketches of what they think the building might look like.
It is design and build, ISU gives the builder specs and the builder designs and builds it.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I am not in the construction business, but to me, $49.5 million for a building that size seems to be more expensive than I would have thought.
I don't think 700 beds for $50 mil is that expensive when you compare what other institutions/Universities pay for this type of facility construction. I believe UofI just payed more than this for a 500 bed residence hall.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
I am not in the construction business, but to me, $49.5 million for a building that size seems to be more expensive than I would have thought.

Iowa is just finishing up their new west campus residence hall that only has 500 beds, it came in at $53M. They're in the process of planning another 900 bed residence hall that will be $90-100M

That $49.5M for this one at ISU actually comes in at a pretty good price when you compare # of beds to what Iowa is doing.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
It is design and build, ISU gives the builder specs and the builder designs and builds it.

Yea, I realize what design-build is. Just saying that FP&M may have sketches tha show the general placement and size of the building. Obviously not construction documents.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

Remember that residence halls are designed and constructed to last much longer than houses and stick built buildings. Concrete and bricks are expensive.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Remember that residence halls are designed and constructed to last much longer than houses and stick built buildings. Concrete and bricks are expensive.

And sprinklers, elevators, handicap access, ventilation, etc.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area

You should have stopped talking after this part.

I love all the armchair contractors that come out of the woodwork when a large construction project like this happens.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
And sprinklers, elevators, handicap access, ventilation, etc.
This for sure. Im reading that a lot of the frats are running into this with their out of date sprinkler systems. After it's all said and done it's a better route to just demolish and start a new, which some of them are doing.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

Really? How old were the towers when they started falling down, literally?

It's a government project, which means it is bloated with excessive expenses and overages.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston

It's a government project, which means it is bloated with excessive expenses and overages.

Things were different back when Towers were built. The fact that they were falling down is one of the reason that there is more of the "bloat" you are talking about. Things may have been shoddily built back then, so now, if you want to avoid that, you have to ensure proper oversight so that the investment that the University is making will have a long life.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

That, and the fact that they don't really have open bidding. :twitcy:

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
There is a desperate need for more beds, so I'm not sure why you'd think this if you were looking at the information.

Even if enrollment drops down the line, this new dorm will offset the shortfalls later on, if (when) ISU demolishes and rebuilds Oak/Elm and BWR. Birch Hall is coming up on its 100th birthday in a handful of years.
Look at what I was quoting.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA

look at how old Friley, Helser, etc. are and are still usable. Wasn't the Towers issue due to bad concrete? and weren't they already past their expected lifespan?

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
look at how old Friley, Helser, etc. are and are still usable. Wasn't the Towers issue due to bad concrete? and weren't they already past their expected lifespan?
Too much iron in the cement mixture.

It may seem like "bloat" when project costs skyrocket due to testing of the materials and practices, but it takes one screw up (Knapp and Storm) to make it worth doing.