FouchodeHond

Dec 6, 2015
I would be careful voicing criticism. From my own small sample, the person without kids complaining about their nieces and nephews end up with complete terrors of their own.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Your kids are going to be exposed to that one way or the other, so use it as a teaching moment that their actions aren't appropriate or acceptable to you.
This. Kids get exposed to cursing and all sorts of inappropriate stuff from damn near the jump in school. In our house, we tell our kids they can ask us about anything that they've heard. We try to explain context, and why it's not appropriate to use those words.
That said, I think it's silly to be afraid of words. The entire concept of a word being "bad" is ridiculous to me. Words are words. Context is what matters. Innocuous words can be just as offensive as any "curse" word, given the particular setting. In my opinion, it's more important to teach kids to choose to all of their words carefully, as opposed to just a few four letter ones.

Plus, sometimes "****", "****", "*****", "*****", "**********", "****hammer", etc are the best words for the time and place.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This. Kids get exposed to cursing and all sorts of inappropriate stuff from damn near the jump in school. In our house, we tell our kids they can ask us about anything that they've heard. We try to explain context, and why it's not appropriate to use those words.
That said, I think it's silly to be afraid of words. The entire concept of a word being "bad" is ridiculous to me. Words are words. Context is what matters. Innocuous words can be just as offensive as any "curse" word, given the particular setting. In my opinion, it's more important to teach kids to choose to all of their words carefully, as opposed to just a few four letter ones.

Plus, sometimes "****", "****", "*****", "*****", "**********", "****hammer", etc are the best words for the time and place.

Did the same with my son. His first question was, Daddy what is a *hore?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
My cousin called my uncle a F***ing F***er one time at their farm. He was about 8 yo. My uncle ignored him.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Did the same with my son. His first question was, Daddy what is a *hore?
I spit out my coffee just now.

When I was a kid, my parents really loved the CBS Western miniseries, Lonesome Dove. We watched many times. It's a fairly frank depiction of western life, but still appropriate for primetime network tv.
I remember watching it once and afterwards, my Dad asked us what we thought we'd be doing if we lived back in the late 1800's. All of us kids responded with the typical "cowboy, sheriff, blacksmith" answers that you might expect. But my youngest brother, who was maybe 8 at the time, turned to my mother and casually said, "Mom, you would have been a *hore"

We didn't watch Lonesome Dove again for a few years after that.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
My folks were weird about swearing. I heard "sh*t" literally every day of my life, as a noun, as we lived on a hog farm. F*ck was a different story. My parents rarely used it around us as kids, and when they did it was for a major effect.

A$shole, b*tch, and god damn were less common than sh*t but more common than f*ck.

When I was 13, one of our employees told my dad that my brother and I were swearing like drunk sailors out picking rock, mostly because we thought it was fun to swear. My punishment was all my CDs being taken away for the rest of the summer. To this day, it's easily the worst punishment I ever received.

So what did you and your brother do to the snitch? Did he "disappear" into a hog pit? JK

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My sibling as 5th and 6th grade boys. They say the f word, play online video games and swear at those people, and watch naughty youtube videos. My sibling says because they're academically smart it doesn't matter. I don't want my young kids around it and my sibling wonders why I don't bring my kids over.

What do I say without embarrassing my sibling or making me seem like a crumudgeon.

Here's my theory on something like this. Kids are going to wind up exposed to people who do things you wouldn't approve of. It's going to happen at school, sports, etc. So rather than trying to shelter them from it, just make sure you do a good job of explaining your rules and expectations.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Also, I'd imagine most kids these days are much more worldly than you can even imagine.

For example, I had some money on Matt Kutchar in a golf tournament a few weeks ago. He made a putt and I yelled "C'mon Kutch-y!" to which my middle school aged daughter said "ew Dad".

I was too mortified to even ask how she knew what that meant.

• Haha
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
So what did you and your brother do to the snitch? Did he "disappear" into a hog pit? JK

He was 30 year old Mennonite, so I decided to take my lumps and not dig the hole any deeper.

Besides, my brother didn't get punished. Just me, cause I was the oldest. My brother was always a little snitch too.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Speaking of good nephew stories, I found out over Easter that my 5 year old nephew found a hell of a way to deal with the bully in his class. My nephew is small for his age, and just has a natural wild streak in him. He's kinda cocky and I'm not surprised that he would be a target for a bully given these things.

So the classroom bully was making a fist and waving it at him like he was going to punch my nephew. So my nephew did what any resourceful 5 year old would do in that scenario. He whipped his **** out and started pissing on the bully and chasing him at the same time. Apparently the bully ran away crying and is now terrified of my nephew because he knows that kid is going full "wild card" on his ass when threatened.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Speaking of good nephew stories, I found out over Easter that my 5 year old nephew found a hell of a way to deal with the bully in his class. My nephew is small for his age, and just has a natural wild streak in him. He's kinda cocky and I'm not surprised that he would be a target for a bully given these things.

So the classroom bully was making a fist and waving it at him like he was going to punch my nephew. So my nephew did what any resourceful 5 year old would do in that scenario. He whipped his **** out and started pissing on the bully and chasing him at the same time. Apparently the bully ran away crying and is now terrified of my nephew because he knows that kid is going full "wild card" on his ass when threatened.
I’m sure the teacher was nervous to stop him. Probably made sure he was empty first.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

Your nephew sounds like he might have a career in politics? Is he a Dem or Republican?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
My sibling as 5th and 6th grade boys. They say the f word, play online video games and swear at those people, and watch naughty youtube videos. My sibling says because they're academically smart it doesn't matter. I don't want my young kids around it and my sibling wonders why I don't bring my kids over.

What do I say without embarrassing my sibling or making me seem like a crumudgeon.

There is noting you can say. (Your sibling sounds like a terrible parent/idiot.) Just tell them the truth.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron