RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
My son has never cussed in front of his mom or sisters.

He's 20 now and still won't in front of mom, sisters, girlfriend, or strangers. But when he's around me and/or his friends he lets it drop like he's making up for lost time..lol.

My point being, I think kids are capable of picking up bad language without being mouthy disrespectful arses.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
My sibling as 5th and 6th grade boys. They say the f word, play online video games and swear at those people, and watch naughty youtube videos. My sibling says because they're academically smart it doesn't matter. I don't want my young kids around it and my sibling wonders why I don't bring my kids over.

What do I say without embarrassing my sibling or making me seem like a crumudgeon.

Nothing. Literally nothing. But that doesn't mean you can't say something.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I found a treasure trove of penthouse when I was 11. I wanted to be mature and do the right thing. So...I grabbed the telephone and I called all of my friends and told them.

Similar situation happened to me when I was around 11.

I was a paperboy and while doing my route discovered a customer put out a couple boxes of Playboy, Penthouse, Cherry, Oui, etc. magazines out for garbage pickup. I let them be, but after dark myself and group of friends went back and grabbed. We stashed in plastic bags in wooded area in the neighborhood.

At about the same time, one of our buddies came down with chicken pox or measles. We discretely passed him magazines through his bedroom screen window. He felt better.

The novelty and excitement of having that stash lasted a few weeks and we moved on.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
My sibling as 5th and 6th grade boys. They say the f word, play online video games and swear at those people, and watch naughty youtube videos. My sibling says because they're academically smart it doesn't matter. I don't want my young kids around it and my sibling wonders why I don't bring my kids over.

What do I say without embarrassing my sibling or making me seem like a crumudgeon.

The rule in our house is that when there are friends/family over there are no tablets/video games. Rule also applies if we go somewhere else: "find something everyone can do." If there is one "screen" (tablet/PC/console) someone is always left out and/or someone is watching or playing something they aren't supposed to. Tell your sibling you want your kids to spend their time doing something rather than watching someone else play videogames.

It's not going to stop the swearing but it will probably reduce it. Your sibling may also appreciate the new rule and get their kids away from the screens.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
BFE? it is BFA. Arkansas! Also saw an Iowa black license plate that read FDAHAWK, either he worked for the FDA or he pulled one on the DMV.

• Funny
Reactions: cyclones500