Neighbor's Dog Problem

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I think they all read through the post quickly (as did I), and given the amount of "anti-freeze" talk suggestions as well as your comment about how you can't wait to see what happens next, were thinking that the dogs were going to have an "upset" stomach from the sausages you fed them.

no, no, no. pure Snausages. no added flavor. I want to see how long it takes for the dogs to be back home and if they are leashed while outside.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I have a neighbor that lives across the street and down a house. They have 2 pit bull type mix dogs. These dogs are continuously running around our neighborhood, unleashed, coming on different properties, doing their thing, etc.

The first time, I went over and told them their animal was ******* and ******** around our kids sandbox, picnic table. They said ok, sorry. I thought ok, no big deal. The next time, I was in the back yard raking leaves, and one of them came through the gate, growled and stared at me. So I smacked it with my rake. (prob not the smartest thing to do)

I called animal control, they said to call them when the animals are out. Lots of good that does, the dogs are back in by the time they get there. Today I was shoveling with my 5 and 2 yr old and 7 month old basset. The basset was leashed, the kids were not.

The smaller one came over, was going after my dog, I hit it with my shovel and it went back and stood on the sidewalk. What's the next step? Police? They have been there 4 times in the last yr for multiple things. Mostly disputes between the couple. Once 9 police cars showed up. Shows you what kind of people they are. It did make for an interesting Fri night though.

Should I go renegade and put a pellet in their legs the next time they venture over? Try and trap them in the garage? Bowl of antifreeze on their trail? Call the A Team?

Any thoughts.
Anti-freeze hot dog.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I would've reported them as strays and let the pound keep them until their time was up.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Sounds like you are not only concerned for the safety of yourself, your children, and your pets, but also for the dogs at loose.

By corralling the dogs and calling animal control, you may have saved the dogs from being hit by a vehicle or worse while running about the neighborhood.

It sounds like you are an animal lover working within the law to diffuse a bad situation.

exactly. there are lots of kids in our neighborhood, including my 5 and 2 yr olds. they like playing outside with our dog. no way i'm going to wait for something bad to happen.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Sounds like you handled the situation perfectly. At the very least the owners will have to pay a little fee to get their dogs out of lock-up..I think it is 75$ a dog in Ames.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
it is a little troubling that so many people have the different variations on anti-freeze .. what are we up to now?

in a bowl, on a marshmellow, on a hotdog, on a snausage...

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
heres what you do. I have a pit bull and i feel bad for these dogs cause they are great dogs...like any if raised right. sounds like bad owners and i hate that with any dog because i love them. 1st thing you should do is not hit them hahahahaha they are capable of ripping whatever object is out of your hand then taking your arm if they are mad enough. 2nd....call the cops because chances are they are not insured which unless you live in ames...they have to be. Mine is licensed, insured, rabies shots and if the dog is not in a kennel and its a pit it cant be running free. Even on a leash the owner has to have the insurance papers with them. Id call the cops and say you have a major problem regarding neighbors pit bulls. There wont be any messing around. 1st thing theyll take the dogs and give the owners 1 chance with 3 days to get everything taken care of. If they dont.....they unfortunately put them to sleep. Makes me sad to tell ya this but that is the most appropriate thing to do for your kids safety, yours and your dogs when it comes to pits/similar breeds not trained properly IMO

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
wow, i didnt read all the posts....but these owners probably dont have the proper precautions done to own the type of breed

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Unleashed pitbulls around my kids. I'd shoot the damn dogs, asap. Only bad things can happen with the worthless breed. Sorry if I offend anyone, but those are my very strong feelings on the issue. I feel they should all be destroyed. If you can make sure nothing else can get ahold of the bait, I think anti-freeze or strichnine would be a good move. As the previous owner stated, they wouldn't know, and your kids are whats important.

Not offended since they have a bad rap.....id love for a lot of anti pit bull people to come meet mine....raised properly they are great dogs. Unfortunately alot of them are raised horribly because they are so strong with their jaws etc.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Growing up on a farm we had neighbors about a mile away or so that had several dogs that were either malnourished, abused, or something because they eventually started terrorizing the neighborhood. Came home one afternoon and one of the neighbors was riding down the gravel road with a gun and motioned us to stop. Apparently he witnessed some of their dogs run one of our cow/calf pairs through a fence and the dogs killed the calf in the creek. He had already shot a couple of them and were waiting for the others to come out of the woods to finish the job. We had already called the sherriff out a few times before and eventually we started shooting the dogs on site if they came onto our property. They got mad after we shot one of the dogs they claimed was worth $500 and we just told them that's too bad, their dogs killed one of our animals and probably some of the neighbor's livestock too so we probably weren't even yet.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
...i feel bad for these dogs cause they are great dogs...

...not hit them hahahahaha they are capable of ripping whatever object is out of your hand then taking your arm if they are mad enough...

Yeah, they sound like great dogs to me too.

BKLYNCyclone

Sep 16, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I have strong feelings on this issue and am glad you handled it the way you did. Poisoning the dogs is illegal, and one can face serious fines and/or some jail time.

I have a half-border-collie-half-pit-rescue and she's the best dog I've ever owned... Typically pitbulls are very sweet dogs. As many have said, the problem is with the type of owner they attract. People should have to have a license to own a dog, because raised improperly, any dog can be dangerous. I've seen some real pieces of work here in the city. Any fool who puts a 20 lb chain on his dog's neck is a real POS... It's too bad that this breed has attracted so many trashy owners...

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah, they sound like great dogs to me too.

Missed the whole point of the conversation and what i was saying. Raised properly they are great dogs like any. If you have a pre conceived bad opinion about the breed it wont matter what i say though. Bad owners=bad dogs.....period

Raised the wrong way like it sounds in this case they probably react different when you smack them with something and their temperment is completely different and they are capable of doing some wrong.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Maybe those neighbors need this and the bad name wouldnt be a problem
Pet Pit Bull - Breed Information

Ten Commandments of Pit Bull Ownership
1.​
Thou shalt NEVER trust thy Pit Bull not to fight
Thou shalt contain thy Pit Bull securely when not supervised by an adult
Thou shalt NEVER leave thy adult Pit Bull alone and unsupervised with another dog
Thou SHALT attend obedience classes most faithfully with thy Pit Bull
Thou SHALT keep thy Pit Bull socialized with ALL KINDS of people
Thy Pit Bull wilt NEVER be allowed off-leash in a public place
Thy Pit Bull wilt NEVER be allowed to roam free in thy neighborhood, EVER!
Thou SHALT take thy well trained Pit Bull out in public and show him/her off - on leash for good breed PR!
Thy Pit Bull shalt go forth into the world as an ambassador of the pit bull breed
THOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY WRONG DONE BY THY DOGS

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

1.​
2.​

3.​

Thou shalt NEVER leave thy adult Pit Bull alone and unsupervised with another dog
4.​

5.​

6.​

7.​

8.​

Thou SHALT take thy well trained Pit Bull out in public and show him/her off - on leash for good breed PR!
9.​

Thy Pit Bull shalt go forth into the world as an ambassador of the pit bull breed
10.​

I think I'll put these in their mail box. Their dogs have not shown any agression except the small one ( I think he's just ****** he's smaller than the others) that's why I took the chance on getting them in my fenced in part of the yard. Maybe wasn't the smartest thing, but I wasn't getting any where with authorities. It worked, so great.

I agree that these dogs or any can be great or not, depending on how they were raised. Hell, I have a friend with a dauchsaund that would rip your arm off.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA

1.​
2.​

3.​

4.​

5.​

6.​

7.​

8.​

9.​

10.​

Serious question; if you have to go to that much trouble to assure your dog doesn't hurt somebody, might it be the breed that really is the problem? I don't fall on one side of the argument or the other, but I wouldn't want a dog that dangerous around my kids. I fully understand any individual dog could cause problems, but you don't see a commandments list like this for golden retrievers.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
explain to me what guilt I should feel. The dogs followed the treats to my backyard from my back door. they were on my property. i shut the gate behind me and had them caught. no guilt here pal.

You handled it perfectly.

If things continue I am not sure what you should do.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron