Need suggests for things to check out in NYC for the weekend.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
I'll be in NYC this sat and sunday night and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for things to check out. It'll be my first time and i for sure want to check out Times Square and maybe a few other of the big New York things like the Empire State building etc.

thanks!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
MOMA is pretty cool, though personally I like the Chicago Museum of Art better. You also might consider doing Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State Building.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Statue of Liberty is a must, IMHO.

From our trip to the bowl game there my favs are, and in order of personal fav:

SoL.
WTC memorial.
Times Square on NYD at 0700 (early as you can on a Saturday would feel the same).
Carriage ride through Central Park.
Trinity Church and grounds.

After that... eat in the E. Village....

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
MOMA is pretty cool, though personally I like the Chicago Museum of Art better. You also might consider doing Rockefeller Center rather than the Empire State Building.

Actually i would love to check out the MOMA! I love the Chicago Art Institute a lot so i'm sure i'd love the MOMA too. Rockefeller Center does sound good too. thanks!

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
Statue of Liberty is a must, IMHO.

From our trip to the bowl game there my favs are, and in order of personal fav:

SoL.
WTC memorial.
Times Square on NYD at 0700 (early as you can on a Saturday would feel the same).
Carriage ride through Central Park.
Trinity Church and grounds.

After that... eat in the E. Village....

I would like to see the Statue of Liberty if there's time and The E. Village sounds really cool to me as well. The carriage ride through Central Park might be a bit weird with my coworker haha.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
The Staten Island Ferry is a free way to see the SoL decently close. It's pretty relaxing, too. And you have a great view of the city skyline.

I also 2nd the WTC memorial.

Checking out Wall Street is pretty fun (for a finance guy, anyway!)

If you're into alt comedy/improv, shows at Upright Citizens Brigade (UCB) are great.

If you have any time during the day, I did a walking tour through CityRover. It was AWESOME. cityroverwalks.com

Brooklyn Brewery has a tour & taproom.

Obviously just wandering around central park can be fun.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
Do you just want to do tourist-y type things?

A bit of both. I won't have a lot of time so I won't be able to get to all of the big tourist attractions. So i'd like to know of some of the lesser known things that might be easier to get to or won't be as busy. For example i really want to see Times Square so if anyone knows of any cool little places to eat or shops to check out around there. Or the same thing in the East Village etc.

acctingCLONE

Oct 18, 2011
Crossroads
The wife and I got the New York City pass and it worked well as $ savings.

We enjoyed:
Top of the Rock at night
911 memorial and museum
Rockefeller tour
Harbor tour as we saw the skyline
Grand Central but don't need to take the tour
Body works - different but interesting

We did a lot more, but they are some of the top favorites

P.S. Don't take buses

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Little Italy and Chinatown are pretty cool if you've never been. I like hitting the old pubs and ale houses in the northeast and taking in some of their history (did a pub crawl in Boston that was a lot of fun). I'd recommend checking out McSorleys

McSorley's Old Ale House

Watch your weather. They are expecting all sorts of snow this week. Hopefully it clears up before you get there.

*edit, sorry, my inner father kicked in. Wear your scarf

Last edited:

dtlantz

Apr 10, 2006
Maryland
If you are going to Times Square, Rockefeller is a quick walk east. There is a Magnolia Bakery on Sixth Avenue with some good pastries. Was pretty slow when the wife and I went there last weekend. I think the cold weather scared some people off.

If you go to the East Village, head up to Astor Place and check out McSorley's. Oldest bar in the city. Supposedly Lincoln stopped there while campaigning. Also a cool speak easy called "PDT" on St. Mark's. Hot dog stand in the front, go through the door and they are making specialty cocktails. On the other side of Astor's place is Washington Square. Spent a few nights around there and the West Village. Went to the Malt House last weekend. Cool little spot. Big Lebowski store is right across the street...haha.

I agree with ian, the ferry is probably the easiest way to see the Statue. Plus it is free.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
NYC seemed to find things for me to look at. I didn't have to really search

An amazing city. Not what I expected .....except for the smell. Smelled just like I imagined

Have a fun trip!

Firefighter4Cy

Oct 23, 2012
Ankeny
Being a firefighter seeing the WTC memorial would be a must on my list. I've heard it is pretty intense. Also, if you happen upon any of the firehouses the FDNY guys are super cool and are more than willing to give you a look around/tour.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
The Staten Island Ferry is a free way to see the SoL decently close. It's pretty relaxing, too. And you have a great view of the city skyline.

I also 2nd the WTC memorial.

Checking out Wall Street is pretty fun (for a finance guy, anyway!)

If you're into alt comedy/improv, shows at Upright Citizens Brigade (UCB) are great.

If you have any time during the day, I did a walking tour through CityRover. It was AWESOME. cityroverwalks.com

Brooklyn Brewery has a tour & taproom.

Obviously just wandering around central park can be fun.

Agree 100%. I have taken the official tour of the Statue, but the second time I went took this advice. Great view and free....I went at the end of the day and also got to see tons of people going home, dog tired (many business guys in suits sipping booze out of a bag). :)

The cool thing about NYC is you constantly see things you've seen before on tv. Park Avenue is kind of cool (near Central Park as well).

Don't forget to go to Duncan's Toy Chest..donate a $20 bill to the owner and you'll get a free pair of turtle doves!:jimlad:

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
If you even remotely like stand up comedy, this is the place to go. Very reasonable for what you'll get to see, located in a neat neighborhood. Comedy Cellar | Comedy Club | NYC

When I went, I saw Tom Papa, Greg Giraldo, and a couple other well known guys all in one show.

Touristy stuff, I actually really like the NBC studio tour....yes, somewhat pricey, but getting to see the set of SNL was worth it to me. If you ever visit on a non-weekend, always cool to check out Dave Letterman (or hang out on the side of the theater about 1PM when the guests get dropped off).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron