Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Now that summer's almost over, it's time to think about important seasonal things like a new tent for tailgating. We want an ISU one that has "attachable" sides for those rainy days and late November game dates. We know we'll need weights, but whether we buy or make them is to be determined. Also, want larger rather than smaller with at least one dimension being 8 foot. Good quality and easy to put up is key.

Looking for suggestions and advice as to brand, options, where to buy, etc. I don't want to be out in the cold, figuratively or literally, come football season. Thanks for help, pointers, pictures and testimonials.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Now that summer's almost over, it's time to think about important seasonal things like a new tent for tailgating. We want an ISU one that has "attachable" sides for those rainy days and late November game dates. We know we'll need weights, but whether we buy or make them is to be determined. Also, want larger rather than smaller with at least one dimension being 8 foot. Good quality and easy to put up is key.

Looking for suggestions and advice as to brand, options, where to buy, etc. I don't want to be out in the cold, figuratively or literally, come football season. Thanks for help, pointers, pictures and testimonials.
Make sure it's big enough for all your friends....

images

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa

I'm also looking at tents and was hoping for some good recommendations. We use a 10'x15' currently with sidewalls and we're looking to downsize a bit as our group has gotten smaller.

We want a good 10'x10' that when broken down is no taller than roughly 52" so it fits in a vehicle easier. Our old tent was 63" when broken down so transporting with a full vehicle was difficult.

Any input is appreciated.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I just use the 9x9 tent like everybody else has. And the sides, from the bookstore actually.

It is longer than 52" probably but has held up well over the years

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Any HyVee in the Des Moines area will have the 9X9 ISU tents and they are usually much cheaper than Scheels. I believe Sam's Club has them at times as well. I believe the have the side panels too. As far as quality goes, our "cheaper" tent that I got at HyVee held up much better than the one we got at Scheels. Either way, they are only going to last so long...

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Theisen's in Ames had some nice Iowa State themed tents last Summer.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Have you ever used weights to hold it down? We've on the paved lots so can't stake ours in the ground.
We have sand bags that wrap around the legs then Velcro around themselves. Heavy and easy to use.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Used 2' long pieces of 4" OD PVC pipe, filled with concrete and put a 6" long eye bolt in. Then used bungee cords to hang them down off each corner. I use 1" wide velcro and wrap them around the pole so they don't hang out of the way. Never had an issue with them.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
I bought a Coleman 10x10 from Wal-Mart 7 or so years ago. It was quite a bit cheaper than a logo one. It is way better structurally than the logo ones. When it's too windy for most people to keep theirs up mine can handle it. Only draw back is it's green and doesn't have the I state logo on it.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
If an ISU logo isn't important, we bought a 13'x13' Coleman from Costso a couple of years ago. I believe we paid $120 (looks to be a bit more now). I can take it down and put it up by myself, although two people putting it up is faster. We use it often - I actually just took it down because we have a storm moving in here in. I had it down in a few minutes and stuffed it in the bag.

It's large and durable. The wind took it for a ride against the side of the house last year and it's still fine. A friend of mine has the same one and has a tarp he can strap to the side to protect against the sun/wind...or in your case, the cold/wind. :)

I believe this is the same one we have except our top is all gray.
https://www.costco.com/Coleman-13'-x-13'-Instant-Eaved-Shelter.product.100338714.html

(edit - just reread OPs first sentence about being an ISU tent - I suck so ditch this)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Not sure what you call it, but you can always accessorize your tent with a string of Iowa State banners. I got some a Theisens a few years ago. Looks great around the bottom edge of our tent cover.

Ms3r4ISU

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I just use the 9x9 tent like everybody else has. And the sides, from the bookstore actually.

It is longer than 52" probably but has held up well over the years

Time to revisit this. Is this the one you have? http://www.isubookstore.com/MerchDetail.aspx?MerchID=1467170&type=6#.WXoEJ4qQyek Right now there's a price drop, making it less than the Delta one linked in this thread. (That one is yellow and red, but no ISU logos.)
Does it come with the side walls? I assume it does, but the description isn't specific. Also, without seeing the framework, I have no idea how sturdy it is.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Time to revisit this. Is this the one you have? http://www.isubookstore.com/MerchDetail.aspx?MerchID=1467170&type=6#.WXoEJ4qQyek Right now there's a price drop, making it less than the Delta one linked in this thread. (That one is yellow and red, but no ISU logos.)
Does it come with the side walls? I assume it does, but the description isn't specific. Also, without seeing the framework, I have no idea how sturdy it is.

I would all but guarantee that the sides are sold separate.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa

I just found this one that looks decent for $180.
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ent-17loguncwstt9x9tnhdg/17loguncwstt9x9tnhdg

Sidewalls can be purchased from this site, which also sells the same tent but it's more expensive. You can get them the same colors as your team for $32 or w/ logo for $39.
http://www.teamtailgateshop.com/lcsidepanel.html
http://www.teamtailgateshop.com/lc156-48.html

I haven't purchased it yet but I'm leaning towards this one.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

I'm sorry, I meant that my sides were from the bookstore. Not the tent itself.

I'd also be surprised if the tent came with sides, but it doesn't really say either way