Need a ruling: Okay or not?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm guessing the vast majority in here never actually played soccer growing up. This is all extremely common. There are separate leagues and tournaments all over the place for teams like this. All the guy is doing is putting together a competitive team so the more talented kids get a chance to play more soccer against much better competition. It's fun. There's nothing shady or dirty about it.

And no, I'm not a coach. I don't even like kids.
This guy's right, if the kids wanted to play in the Iowa Games and the other coach asked them first that's just the breaks I'd say. Iowa Games is a competitive deal, I'm guessing a lot of teams hand pick players from multiple teams. If I were taking a team I would definitely take the best kids from my team and try to get some good kids from other teams to join.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
This guy's right, if the kids wanted to play in the Iowa Games and the other coach asked them first that's just the breaks I'd say. Iowa Games is a competitive deal, I'm guessing a lot of teams hand pick players from multiple teams. If I were taking a team I would definitely take the best kids from my team and try to get some good kids from other teams to join.

When I played as a kid, that's all of the teams competing in the Iowa Games. Not only are they stacked with the most talent they can find, they've also been practicing and playing together for a few years by then. It would not be a fun or skill building experience for the kids on a recreational team trying to play against these travel league teams. 15-0 games aren't fun for anyone.

As a piece of advice from someone who grew up playing in those leagues, had siblings play in them, reffed in them, etc., I wouldn't take a recreational team to the Iowa Games unless there is specifically a recreational division. Even at young ages these travel teams are faster, stronger, more experienced and much more aggressive - I don't think it would be a fun experience for a few kids looking to just play a little a soccer in the summer.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm guessing the vast majority in here never actually played soccer growing up. This is all extremely common. There are separate leagues and tournaments all over the place for teams like this. All the guy is doing is putting together a competitive team so the more talented kids get a chance to play more soccer against much better competition. It's fun. There's nothing shady or dirty about it.

And no, I'm not a coach. I don't even like kids.

I did play soccer all the way up through high school so I know how it goes. And it isn't like my team got pasted every game. We worked on fundamentals like footwork and spacing throughout the season. I believe in everyone playing every position throughout the season instead of having them specialize at such an early age and this did cost is a few games - I didn't have my fastest, most aggressive kid at striker all of the time, for instance.

I guess I was just expecting the courtesy of him checking with me to see of I was going to enter a team before stealing any of my players. To be honest, the petty side of me wants to meet his team in the tournament and skip the rotations, playing solely to win.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
When I played as a kid, that's all of the teams competing in the Iowa Games. Not only are they stacked with the most talent they can find, they've also been practicing and playing together for a few years by then. It would not be a fun or skill building experience for the kids on a recreational team trying to play against these travel league teams. 15-0 games aren't fun for anyone.

As a piece of advice from someone who grew up playing in those leagues, had siblings play in them, reffed in them, etc., I wouldn't take a recreational team to the Iowa Games unless there is specifically a recreational division. Even at young ages these travel teams are faster, stronger, more experienced and much more aggressive - I don't think it would be a fun experience for a few kids looking to just play a little a soccer in the summer.

No worries, I have entered teams before so I know the level of play. My team isn't a bunch of goobers. These girls can play. We would have won more games than we did if I let them specialize in positions. But I feel U10 is too early. Bodies and abilities change so I make sure everyone has a chance to be goalie, midfielder, etc.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I coach a really good Norwalk u10 team and we would ask the other coach if we could use his player if he was not going to play. Also i am pretty sure you can say no. Where do you coach. Pm me if you dont want to say.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I'm not positive, but I think the Iowa Games offers both a recreational and competitive division for youth soccer. At least they did 15 years ago when I played.

And back on point, I'm assuming the OP coaches a Rec team? The guy taking players sounds like he is entering a competitive/Select team. If that's the case, I have no problem with it. The teams won't even play against each other.
Would it have been more ethical to contact the coach first? Probably. However, youth sports are fairly serious at the competitive/select level, in any sport. I train quite a few kids over in Chicago who are on club sports teams and I have seen friendships ended and parents get into large arguments over what team "so and so" moves to. They are basically traded around over here and a lot of feelings are hurt.
Anything to make the best team and get the most looks from prospective coaches/teams/colleges.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
In the movies your team wins anyway.
316447_large.jpg

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
I coach youth soccer and from experience I know that at least 40% of youth soccer coaches, or probably any youth sports coaches, are douchebags who care less about development or fun and more about winning. Played a team last week and the other coach kept his 2 best players in the entire game, gotta win that U7 soccer game at all costs.

I coach u8 and concur. What sucks is when other coaches are doing that and your kids aren't having fun playing them it is tempting to play at their level and I have seen other otherwise good coaches succumb to their tactics for this reason. Oh well. I really enjoy watching the kids get better and have fun. Had two kids on my team last night score a goal for the first time in 3 years of playing and each scored two. I was more proud of those two than I have been of my own kids as they have come such a long way and didn't give up. They probably won't play u10 next year but they learned about how working on something get you better and determination. That's what youth sports is about.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I gotta admit, when I read the thread title of "okay or not", and the first sentence, (I coach a girls youth soccer team) I was like:

LL

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Did your players know that you wanted to enter a team when they agreed? Perhaps they were under the impression that there was only going to be one team going. Lesson learned, discuss it with parents before the season starts.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I'm not positive, but I think the Iowa Games offers both a recreational and competitive division for youth soccer. At least they did 15 years ago when I played.

And back on point, I'm assuming the OP coaches a Rec team? The guy taking players sounds like he is entering a competitive/Select team. If that's the case, I have no problem with it. The teams won't even play against each other.
Would it have been more ethical to contact the coach first? Probably. However, youth sports are fairly serious at the competitive/select level, in any sport. I train quite a few kids over in Chicago who are on club sports teams and I have seen friendships ended and parents get into large arguments over what team "so and so" moves to. They are basically traded around over here and a lot of feelings are hurt.
Anything to make the best team and get the most looks from prospective coaches/teams/colleges.
According to the website there are Rec, Open and Competitive divisions, not all are available at every age group though.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
You should take a team and just coach them to try to tie games. Just for *****.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Screw that, find a ringer and go for the throat.

ladybugs.png
Any time the ball gets your defensive half you clear. Any time you take it into attacking half you shoot the ball out of bounds like a quarter mile.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Our U-9 traveling team almost got burned tonight. We were trying to be good sports calling off the dogs up 5-0 in the second half, pulling back our midfielders and moving the girls who were really clicking as forwards back to defend or subbing them out. The girls sensed that the coaches weren't aggressive anymore and became passive. The other team scored 4 unanswered to make it interesting.

There are a few coaches who don't try to do the right thing and ultimately the girls learn the wrong lessons. The coach taking the team should have asked the other coaches for input on which girls he should be taking for his competitive team. He might have gotten a much better response from the other coaches.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I coach a girls youth soccer team. When our season was winding down, I asked my girls if they wanted to enter the Iowa Games. Come to find out another coach from my town already asked the two best players on my team. I happened to talk with a different coach after practice tonight and it happened to him too.

It seems this guy is wanting to enter an "all-star" team so he is cherry-picking the good players from other team without even consulting their coaches. Is winning that important that he can't even say, "hey, I was going to invite player x to join my team" and at least see if I was thinking about entering my team. I realize he doesn't need my permission. But wouldn't that just be proper etiquette to ask?

I am going to enter a team regardless and it really is about skill development and fun, regardless of how we do. But are we at that point when we have to go behind other coaches backs to assemble dream teams to win 10 year old division at the Iowa Games?

I need a ruling from the peanut gallery... Is this ****** move outta' him or am I being overly sensitive?
Short answer: **** move. He should've asked you first. I don't care if it's "okay because everyone else is doing it". If he has the ability to get a hold of these kids' parents, he has the ability to get a hold of you.

Is he trying to steal the girls from you on a more permanent level? If another coach approached my daughter with the same question, I'd be inclined to ask our coach if he was going to enter his own team before going in with another coach.

I'm probably loyal to a fault, but the parents of your girls could've reached out to you too. Two parties are involved in the acceptance after all.