Nebraska football's red balloon tradition suspended

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
How long have they been doing that? I got free tickets sometimes living there in the 90s when they didn't suck and I don't remember that.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
What Trev is really concerned about is that he is going to have some games where the balloons will be walking back out of the stadium at the end of the game because they couldn't find paydirt. That is going to be a great image on the evening news in Omaha.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm and NWICY

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
How long have they been doing that? I got free tickets sometimes living there in the 90s when they didn't suck and I don't remember that.

The story says it began in the 60s. I don't recall knowing about it until relatively recently, maybe 10-15 years ago. I'm only half-kidding when I wonder if the reason I didn't know earlier was because they used to be good and there wasn't this morbid curiosity about how long the game would go on before they'd get to release their balloons.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
… We aren't getting more of it.
Well, technically we are. I believe a good portion comes from radioactive decay in fields/deposits containing high/higher concentrations of actinoids (thorium, etc.)

Nonetheless, helium shortages are a very big deal and a huge cost/driver for many applications.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All these takes about balloons being bad for the environment can get off my lawn!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The story says it began in the 60s. I don't recall knowing about it until relatively recently, maybe 10-15 years ago. I'm only half-kidding when I wonder if the reason I didn't know earlier was because they used to be good and there wasn't this morbid curiosity about how long the game would go on before they'd get to release their balloons.

Either I thought it was too stupid to remember or they didn’t do it in 90s when I saw quite a few games there.

I remember a lot of the other lame **** they did.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and aauummm

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Along with other traditions, like winning seasons. I love seeing that program in the dumpster, but I do pull for them when they are playing the hoks.

• Funny
Reactions: Lineup

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Meh, by the time they scored the helium had already leaked out of the balloons. Use the extra $'s to purchase a couple of those Runza launchers...they can fly a couple of hundred feet (or more).

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I think I remember it when I went to Lincoln for a game during the Troy Davis era