Nebraska football's red balloon tradition suspended

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
One of college football's greatest traditions - watching with delight as Nebraska fans hold on to their red balloons for an awkwardly long time until their offense finally gets on the board - will be suspended this season. Trev Alberts cited helium shortages and sanctions against Russia as the primary culprits, but deep down I'm sure he's a little relieved to be rid of such a visible reminder of the program's failures.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It used to be that a kid didn't always get helium in a balloon. Sometimes a balloon was at the end of a little stick. But a few dumb kids will take out their own or another kid's eye with a stick so we can't do that either.

Helium shortage is a real problem. Helium that is released is so light that it is lost into space. We aren't getting more of it.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Agree with all mentions of sanctioned littering. Think of the dolphins.

Please, forgive my ignorance, but what else is helium used for?

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
I'm not sure I can watch college football this year if Nebraska can't have their balloons. What is this sport coming to? I can handle NIL and realignment, but balloons? I gotta draw a line somewhere.
It’s not like Nebby needs a lot of helium since it’s rare they score any TD’s.

Reactions: aauummm

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I'm not sure I can watch college football this year if Nebraska can't have their balloons. What is this sport coming to? I can handle NIL and realignment, but balloons? I gotta draw a line somewhere.

Laugh if you want but this guy thinks Alberts should be fired over this. People are bonkers.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC