Nealy wearing sunglasses under helmet??

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I always wondered if they could do something with a doctor's note saying they need one.

Also, not really sure why tinted visors are not allowed in the first place. I wouldn't see it as any type of advantage. And if it is, it's an advantage that every player can have equally
I googled it and some guy said it was because the trainers can't look in their eyes if the player gets seriously hurt.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
I always wondered if they could do something with a doctor's note saying they need one.

Also, not really sure why tinted visors are not allowed in the first place. I wouldn't see it as any type of advantage. And if it is, it's an advantage that every player can have equally

I know in the NFL a "doctor's excuse" can be used to get a tinted visor.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010
I googled it and some guy said it was because the trainers can't look in their eyes if the player gets seriously hurt.

Makes sense I guess. But couldn't you contend that it's just as hard or harder with sunglasses on?

Not a huge deal anyways, most guys would just do it to look cool anyways. I just always wondered why it was actually not allowed.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
1-4-6-c:

Eye shields must be clear, not tinted, and made from molded or rigid material. [New for 2013: Eyeglasses and goggles also must be clear and not tinted.] No medical exceptions are allowed.

cyclone101

Oct 19, 2009
Dez Moinz
That's weird. Why? And since when?
Like others have said, it's for the player's own safety. When the trainers come out to an injured player they need to be able to see their eyes to help diagnose concussions.

I think the NFL also has the same rule now but let guys like Ladainian Tomlinson use them for eye problems.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
That's weird. Why? And since when?

Up until 2006, a player could get a medical exception to wear a tinted/shaded shield:

Exceptions must be documented by an opthalmologist with
the request signed by the player’s head trainer, athletics director and the
player’s parents or guardians if the player is under 21 years of age. The

finalized information is then under the jurisdiction of the head trainer,
who then will determine when it becomes public information.

The exception criteria was more stringent before 2005:

Exceptions must be documented by an opthalmologist with the request
signed by the player’s head trainer, athletics director and the player’s

parents or guardians if the player is under 21 years of age. The request
is then submitted to a medical doctor designated by the NCAA
Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sports
for review.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I wonder how he got pink eye? [video=youtube;48n-SwCkvJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48n-SwCkvJQ[/video]

hoosman

Sep 4, 2006
Davenport
I thought DBs often watch the WR's eyes to time their PBUs? Also, aren't the QBs eyes a give away as to where the ball will be thrown? I'm guessing there could be an advantage to using shades.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron