Ndsu

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Glad to see the heavier weights finish well after a slow start at lower weights.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
grades:

125: B- Kysen should major that kid. Didn’t open it up in the second and just coasted until about 30 seconds left in the 3rd. If he had that pace in the second, would’ve had a major pretty easy.

133: F can’t get caught there. Ramazan will be fine and learn from it, but a disappointment when he had a great chance to get a win to vault him into the rankings.

141: B- proud of Ian to fight back from giving up back points, but again that’s a kid that Ian should be majoring. Something looks a little off with him and not sure if it’s an injury or still adjusting to the cut.

149- B wish we had a major here, but NDSU just stalled out on bottom and Degen couldn’t quite get the turn.

157: B would’ve loved to see David get bonus, but still a solid win against a top 8 guy. I bet David would give himself a C, but all Franek did was stall. David is head and shoulders better than that kid.

165: B good fight from Judge against a top 15 guy. Weber stall rode the entire third, but Judge needs to be able to get out. Still like the fight out of Judge and feel like hes probably the guy here moving forward.

174: B- solid match from Joel, but would love to see him major their backup. Another great stall job by NDSU to avoid a major

184: A. Marcus just overmatched their freshman here and took care of business. Would’ve loved to see a pin, but I’ll settle for the tech :)

197: A- Uh oh, looks like Yonger learned how to mat wrestle. Look out in March. Only thing bringing the grade down is giving up the takedown, but was pleased with the rest of the match and the fact that Yonger didn’t gas.

hwt: A great match Sammy! Should move him up in the rankings and is a big win to work on securing an allocation for NCAAs. Excited to see how he continues to develop!

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
grades:

125: B- Kysen should major that kid. Didn’t open it up in the second and just coasted until about 30 seconds left in the 3rd. If he had that pace in the second, would’ve had a major pretty easy.

133: F can’t get caught there. Ramazan will be fine and learn from it, but a disappointment when he had a great chance to get a win to vault him into the rankings.

141: B- proud of Ian to fight back from giving up back points, but again that’s a kid that Ian should be majoring. Something looks a little off with him and not sure if it’s an injury or still adjusting to the cut.

149- B wish we had a major here, but NDSU just stalled out on bottom and Degen couldn’t quite get the turn.

157: B would’ve loved to see David get bonus, but still a solid win against a top 8 guy. I bet David would give himself a C, but all Franek did was stall. David is head and shoulders better than that kid.

165: B good fight from Judge against a top 15 guy. Weber stall rode the entire third, but Judge needs to be able to get out. Still like the fight out of Judge and feel like hes probably the guy here moving forward.

174: B- solid match from Joel, but would love to see him major their backup. Another great stall job by NDSU to avoid a major

184: A. Marcus just overmatched their freshman here and took care of business. Would’ve loved to see a pin, but I’ll settle for the tech :)

197: A- Uh oh, looks like Yonger learned how to mat wrestle. Look out in March. Only thing bringing the grade down is giving up the takedown, but was pleased with the rest of the match and the fact that Yonger didn’t gas.

hwt: A great match Sammy! Should move him up in the rankings and is a big win to work on securing an allocation for NCAAs. Excited to see how he continues to develop!
Like your summary but not sure I would give 125, 141, 149 and 165 higher than a C based off of expectations/ranking/no ranking and what I watched last night against UNI.
totally agree with 133, 157 and 184-HWT.
174 NDSU wrestled a back up who lost his extra match last night. Joel did dominant.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
grades:

Something does seem a tad off with Ian.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
125 - Kysen should have bonused that kid no doubt. He also should have gotten an ear full when he got off the mat. He could have shot and finished any shot at will. Why he waited until the last 30 seconds, I have no idea. If he doesn't stay aggressive and open up matches he will continue to lose close matches at the end like he did last year.

133 - Patiently waiting for Redding to get down. Ramazan either needs to develop more offense off the russian tie or create more offense away from a russian. He wrestles to keep it close and has too many head scratching moments for me.

141 - Ian is not there yet. This cut is taking more of a toll than I thought it would. I'm not concerned yet, but it's been about a month since he's been down now and still not adjusting. Hoping there is some more background there that I'm unaware of.

157 - I was hoping for a major. Tough to score on someone whose goal is to stall. He wasn't happy with himself which I like to see.

165 - Weber must be sick or hurt. He's a good wrestler and should have walked through this Iowa swing NDSU was on.

197 - Mat wrestling and gas tank. He would have lost that match last year. Great job finding an extra gear in the 3rd.

HWT - This is what I was hoping to see from Schuyler. He even looked a little mean. Good confidence booster. Anyone notice Metz's right hand on Schuyler's throat/under chin during his ties?