***NCAA Wrestling Championships (Thu.-Sat.)***

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
True but he would have slaughtered Warner or Dean in the finals. Dean shouldn’t have even been there as Aiello clearly beat him. That was the worst finals match of the night.
Well that's a bit of an exageration. It should have been 4-0 Aiello going into the 3rd, but Dean got escape, takedown and rideout for riding time point. That means it would have been 4-4 going to OT.

The third period could have of course transpired differently and Aiello should have had a shot at OT at a minimum but to say he CLEARLY beat him is disingenuous.

I defintely would pick Ferrari to be either guy though but it'd be a 4-2 type of match, not a slaughter. AJ just doesnt beat up good dudes in that way. He gets one takedown, a tough ride and is next to impossible to score on. Against non top-15 types he'll turn the offense up of course, but not against finalist caliber wrestlers.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Ferrari may well have beat Dean, but I certainly would not have bet against Penn State Saturday night.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Went back and watched Chad Red vs Ian Parker match. Still don't understand how Red didn't get a stalling warning when he asked for injury time. Looks like the ref did a 5 count before stopping the match. Then not getting a penalty point for Red's hand in the headgear, much less how he stopped the match that late and Parker in good position for a takedown. Red was gassed by then.

Mat 8 in 3rd Session, I believe, if anyone wants to watch it

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Move the whole season a week earlier don’t compete against basketball.

A week earlier still puts you against a lot of conference tournaments which is almost as big, plus ESPN carries about 75% of them so they're not gonna play ball on that. The biggest reason they like it where it is is because they're hurting for programming that weekend.

If, IF it gets moved, it'd have to be at least two weeks sooner (making for a shorter season which many have advocated for) or 2 weeks back and go to the Weds-Friday before the final four.

I could get on board with either. Selfishly, and since I haven't been attending in person as much as I used to, I kind of like it on at the same time as the first weekend of hoops. It makes for an awesome multi TV viewing event but I completely get why it sucks for many ad well.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
A week earlier still puts you against a lot of conference tournaments which is almost as big, plus ESPN carries about 75% of them so they're not gonna play ball on that. The biggest reason they like it where it is is because they're hurting for programming that weekend.

If, IF it gets moved, it'd have to be at least two weeks sooner (making for a shorter season which many have advocated for) or 2 weeks back and go to the Weds-Friday before the final four.

I could get on board with either. Selfishly, and since I haven't been attending in person as much as I used to, I kind of like it on at the same time as the first weekend of hoops. It makes for an awesome multi TV viewing event but I completely get why it sucks for many ad well.
I asked Espn this same question about moving the tournament and any later runs into baseball and softball agreements is what I was told

• Informative
Reactions: brett108

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I asked Espn this same question about moving the tournament and any later runs into baseball and softball agreements is what I was told

Based on what I'm seeing in the listings for April 7-9 (the Thursday-Saturday after basketball ends), I think you got fed a line.

ESPNU has tape-delayed events on Thursday and Friday mornings/afternoons, with live HS hoops and college lacrosse on Saturday morning/afternoon.

ESPN is doing Masters re-airs on Thursday and Friday nights, with live UFC prelims and boxing on Saturday night.

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
Based on what I'm seeing in the listings for April 7-9 (the Thursday-Saturday after basketball ends), I think you got fed a line.

ESPNU has tape-delayed events on Thursday and Friday mornings/afternoons, with live HS hoops and college lacrosse on Saturday morning/afternoon.

ESPN is doing Masters re-airs on Thursday and Friday nights, with live UFC prelims and boxing on Saturday night.
Well I used to work for them and was told that on numerous occasions