***NCAA Wrestling Championships (Thu.-Sat.)***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Until we wrestle to expectations or better, I'm going 2. We never seem to overachieve. Hoping for 3.

• Agree
Reactions: Proton

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Freshman year for me. Still crazy to think we had 7 AA's and still only ended up tied for 5th.

2-5-6-7-7-7-8.

And only 5 bonus points the whole tournament -- 1 major by Mueller, 1 major by Reader, 1 fall by Varner, and 1 major by Bertolino.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Since no one thinks 4 is going to happen I’ll say 4! Parker, Carr, Coleman, Bastida. R12/R16 range will be Degen and Kysen. Let’s see if lack of big tournaments helps or hurts.

Reactions: stuclone and JM4CY

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What is “matcast”? I can’t remember from previous years. All the mats? Is there any option like that similar to big 12s?

"Matcast" will either be all the mats, or a feed that's just the scores of each current match. Haven't seen ESPN's press release yet with the details.

Reactions: JM4CY

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
And ESPN just sent out that release.

The ‘MATCAST’ option will be available through the Medal Round via ESPN3 and the ESPN App. The presentation will show multi-boxes of all the mats so fans never miss a single point. This year, ESPN is adding a dedicated announce team to further bolster the “MATCAST’ coverage. During Saturday night’s finals, the Command Center on ESPN3 will offer unique commentary as well as ISO cameras focused on coaches, family and friends, unique angles from an overhead jib, mat-side robotic cameras, and more with a collection of the most respected names in the wrestling community providing commentary.

ESPN (Primetime):
  • Mike Couzens (play-by-play) – A versatile ESPN play-by-play voice calling the Championships for the fifth year.
  • Daniel Cormier (analyst) – Current UFC lead analyst is a former NCAA All-American (Oklahoma State) and former UFC Heavyweight Champion.
  • Jim Gibbons (analyst) – Former NCAA Champion as both wrestler and coach (Iowa State), current Big Ten Network lead analyst, inducted in the Iowa Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2003.
  • Quint Kessenich (reporter) – The multi-sport reporter and analyst will cover all sessions in his 17th year.
ESPNU (Daytime):
  • Shawn Kenney (play-by-play) – ACC Network’s lead play-by-play voice.
  • J’Den Cox (analyst) – Former three-time NCAA Champion (Missouri), two-time World Champion, and Olympic Bronze Medalist.
  • Rock Harrison (analyst) – ACC Network’s lead analyst, former Virginia wrestler and 10-year referee.
MATCAST:
  • Shane Sparks (play-by-play) – Big Ten Network’s lead play-by-play voice
  • Anthony Robles (analyst) – Former NCAA Champion (Arizona State) returns to ESPN’s NCAA Wrestling coverage
* Thursday’s coverage will combine the daytime and primetime announce teams
** All nine announcers will contribute to the Command Center presentation on Saturday night

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
2-5-6-7-7-7-8.

And only 5 bonus points the whole tournament -- 1 major by Mueller, 1 major by Reader, 1 fall by Varner, and 1 major by Bertolino.
7th & 8th doesn’t score much at Nationals. I think when Earl Hall got 8th with no bonus points was 5 team points.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Pretty nuts that in KJs first year (2010) with the Cael carryover we finished 3rd with just 3 AA, but all 3 were finalists with 2 champs.

Also crazy to think KJ only managed 3 AA with the talent on that team. Mueller, Fanthorpe, Reader all failed to AA that season. I also always thought Jerome Ward could have been an AA with the right coaching.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
I'm going with 3 AA's. I believe they can get more. I see Carr & Coleman as solid AA's. While KT, IP, JD & YB all with the ability to earn AA if they can put together their best tourneys. Heck YB is a total wild card who can make the finals if he goes for broke and gets some breaks. I'd be shocked if RA, JS & SS make AA. But everyone can win a match or two if healthy.

Reactions: JohnPrineforCy

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
Ramazan seems like he thrives in a tournament setting. I feel like we could see him turning a lot of heads.

His style is not flashy in the least, but his punishing/grinding style can really slow people down, wear people down, and it gives him a chance to make a big turn when the chips are down.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Pretty nuts that in KJs first year (2010) with the Cael carryover we finished 3rd with just 3 AA, but all 3 were finalists with 2 champs.

Also crazy to think KJ only managed 3 AA with the talent on that team. Mueller, Fanthorpe, Reader all failed to AA that season. I also always thought Jerome Ward could have been an AA with the right coaching.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ramazan seems like he thrives in a tournament setting. I feel like we could see him turning a lot of heads.

His style is not flashy in the least, but his punishing/grinding style can really slow people down, wear people down, and it gives him a chance to make a big turn when the chips are down.
Agreed. Dark horse to out of no where to make the blood round.

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015

I wonder how we would have placed had Cyler stuck around and scored point for us. I could understand Cael & Cody leaving but the fact that Cyler COULD HAVE chosen to stick with his teammates with the chance to accomplish something his older brothers had not done by winning a team title. His choice really bugged me more than anything else. It probably didn't end up making a difference since Fanthorpe and Reader both dealt with injury in the tourney. Had they been healthy I think we could have added Cyler, Fanthorpe and Reader as mid to high AA's. Woulda, coulda, shoulda... Let's make some headway in '22!

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
"Matcast" will either be all the mats, or a feed that's just the scores of each current match. Haven't seen ESPN's press release yet with the details.
They couldn't even get the scores for 4 mats during B12 tourney. Not sure how they'll handle 8 mats!

• Agree
Reactions: GMackey32

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
You don't even have to get hot as much as you need a bracket to fall your way. That's one of the best parts of this tournament. It's often complete chaos on the backside.

I think we get 2 (Carr, Bastida), but hoping for 3 or more.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa

I agree with this also that he can frustrate some guys. But he has got to find his way to some takedowns. He will be in the matches, but he needs to WIN the matches as well