NCAA to become involved with NIL policing

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I wouldn't be surprised if TCU struggles this fall. I think transfer-heavy classes will be a double edged sword. Some years it could be a quick fix; others it could ruin program culture.
I legit don’t know what their turnover is but they are bringing in a top 20 class this year with more 4 stars then the rest of the new Big12 combined. Think they will be ok.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I guess my question is what policing are they really going to do? I mean, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rules how it's currently set up. Don't get me wrong, this has been implemented about as poorly as could be imagined, but what rules are actually being broken as it currently stands?

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
"NCAA is happy to announce yet another new function as part of broader goal to see how many aimless policies we can pile on top of each other to avoid just paying players a ******* salary like they deserve"

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I guess my question is what policing are they really going to do? I mean, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rules how it's currently set up. Don't get me wrong, this has been implemented about as poorly as could be imagined, but what rules are actually being broken as it currently stands?
I think it's a question of legally what CAN they do. I think the courts seem to be suggesting that efforts by the NCAA to limit NIL will be illegal.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I think it's a question of legally what CAN they do. I think the courts seem to be suggesting that efforts by the NCAA to limit NIL will be illegal.
Yeah, I find it hard to believe a school like Florida is going to willingly accept a penalty based, not on direct evidence, but on what the NCAA believes, circumstantially, to have happened with a collective that they have no subpoena power over, and is not directly affiliated with the school, in a legal way.
That's the kind of thing that will end up in court in no time. The NCAA will get punched in the mouth, and it will slink away, still making tough guy poses the whole time. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
The only real thing I think they can do (and it would still be fought) would be to ban tax exempt collectives. If you remove the possibility of people getting tax breaks for their NIL donation a lot of this money is going to dry up.

Reactions: Mr Janny

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The only real thing I think they can do (and it would still be fought) would be to ban tax exempt collectives. If you remove the possibility of people getting tax breaks for their NIL donation a lot of this money is going to dry up.
Does the NCAA have the power to do that, though? And if they did, how effective would it even be? It's not illegal for non profits to pay for endorsements/appearances. They do it all of the time, without a lot in the way of legal restriction. Very dangerous legal waters for the NCAA to wade into.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Does the NCAA have the power to do that, though? And if they did, how effective would it even be? It's not illegal for non profits to pay for endorsements/appearances. They do it all of the time, without a lot in the way of legal restriction. Very dangerous legal waters for the NCAA to wade into.
The NCAA has no power that the individual schools don’t give them. The question is does a non profit who solely exists to “launder” money from boosters to athletes under the guise of a non profit is/should be legal. Even if the schools agreed to it there would still be a court battle but it’s the only thing I could think of that would have an actual impact on NIL.

NIL is already very overblown on this board compared to its actual effect on schools so I don’t really believe it needs to be reigned in but I do have a problem with the tax deduction part of it.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I wouldn't consider TCU a blueblood. In twelve months they went from zero to hero which has to give hope to lesser programs as well.

I'm not sure the transfer market is a sure fire make-or-break system yet anyways. We lost no one of real consequence and are only bringing three in. I think there will also be merit in keeping turnover to a minimum.

You don't think losing Isheem Young was of consequence? But I'm not focusing on how this affects ISU alone. CFB as a whole is going to become a professional football league without the safety net of contracts and salary caps. Sure the smaller schools are going to put together collectives and be able to offer money to players. But it'll be a drop in the bucket compared to what the apparel companies are going to throw at guys to go to the powerhouses. So if a guy shows promise at a lower level school, they're going to be gone because the money is too good to pass up. NIL was supposed to be for a kid to be able to use their image to do promotions and make advertising dollars. It took about 30 seconds before it became a strictly pay for play system.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The NCAA has no power that the individual schools don’t give them. The question is does a non profit who solely exists to “launder” money from boosters to athletes under the guise of a non profit is/should be legal. Even if the schools agreed to it there would still be a court battle but it’s the only thing I could think of that would have an actual impact on NIL.

NIL is already very overblown on this board compared to its actual effect on schools so I don’t really believe it needs to be reigned in but I do have a problem with the tax deduction part of it.
I will not argue with your description of these non profit collectives at all, but certainly NIL collective non profits are not the only non profits that exist only for their tax deduction and to "launder" money, as you put it. I don't know that there's a lot in the way of legal distinction between them. That doesn't mean they're any less shady, but I'm skeptical that college athletics is the straw that breaks the camel's back and causes the entire non-profit roof to collapse.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I will not argue with your description of these non profit collectives at all, but certainly NIL collective non profits are not the only non profits that exist only for their tax deduction and to "launder" money, as you put it. I don't know that there's a lot in the way of legal distinction between them. That doesn't mean they're any less shady, but I'm skeptical that college athletics is the straw that breaks the camel's back and causes the entire non-profit roof to collapse.
Oh I totally agree with you on the non profit part. I just wouldn’t be surprised if that loophole gets fixed in regards to NIL. Now as soon as they fix it the colllectives will just adapt so it’s going to be like playing wack a mole.

Reactions: Mr Janny

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You don't think losing Isheem Young was of consequence? But I'm not focusing on how this affects ISU alone. CFB as a whole is going to become a professional football league without the safety net of contracts and salary caps. Sure the smaller schools are going to put together collectives and be able to offer money to players. But it'll be a drop in the bucket compared to what the apparel companies are going to throw at guys to go to the powerhouses. So if a guy shows promise at a lower level school, they're going to be gone because the money is too good to pass up. NIL was supposed to be for a kid to be able to use their image to do promotions and make advertising dollars. It took about 30 seconds before it became a strictly pay for play system.
Outside of Nike funding money to go to Oregon what apparel companies are big in NIL right now? Companies like that need to justify the costs and just throwing around NIL dollars isn’t going to fly for long. Also NIL dollars really isn’t as prominent as you think for most programs. Yeah you have your Miami’s and last years A&M, but they got zero back for their spend. People throw around the dollar amounts that make the headlines but those are rarely verified and are not the norm.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Outside of Nike funding money to go to Oregon what apparel companies are big in NIL right now? Companies like that need to justify the costs and just throwing around NIL dollars isn’t going to fly for long. Also NIL dollars really isn’t as prominent as you think for most programs. Yeah you have your Miami’s and last years A&M, but they got zero back for their spend. People throw around the dollar amounts that make the headlines but those are rarely verified and are not the norm.

So you think Alabama is throwing millions at players based off boosters alone? The justification that apparel companies have is that they are protecting their investment into the school. Just like Adidas has done for KU basketball for years. You sign that big contract with them, you better make sure they win games or that's not worth much to you.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So you think Alabama is throwing millions at players based off boosters alone? The justification that apparel companies have is that they are protecting their investment into the school. Just like Adidas has done for KU basketball for years. You sign that big contract with them, you better make sure they win games or that's not worth much to you.
If you want to show me something that says Nike is paying players to go to bama I would love to see it otherwise it’s conjecture. Nike sponsors a ton of P5 schools including my two (sparty and Michigan) Their investment is protected no matter what.

Basketball is a different animal because you are trying to land the next NBA superstar and keep them in your product the whole time. However college basketball is in a weird place right now as top talent is more and more coming from abroad plus the factor of skipping college ball entirely. It’s why a number of the blue blood programs (Kentucky, Duke, UNC) are completely irrelevant this year.