NBA Draft early entrants

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was surprised to hear Sullinger say that with Diebler, Lighty, and Lauderdale being seniors.

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
The NBA is more likely to be locked out next year than the NFL. That combined with the fact that there aren't all that many "can't miss" uber-talented prospects this year means I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of college players went back to school next year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Kemba Walker is the best player in my book. It will be interesting to see who gets him.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
The NBA is more likely to be locked out next year than the NFL. That combined with the fact that there aren't all that many "can't miss" uber-talented prospects this year means I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of college players went back to school next year.
I think it'd be different if the 2012 Draft was going to be much better but that one won't be a strong draft either.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am entering the draft this year. 6'1 inch guard from Ashford University Online. I am only a sophmore so I should get some looks.

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I think it'd be different if the 2012 Draft was going to be much better but that one won't be a strong draft either.

I agree but I think players (and probably more specifically agents) are starting to realize that unless you are good enough to get at least 20+ min off the bench in the NBA then it is a smarter career choice to stay in school and actually improve your game.

Clone5

Jun 3, 2008
Iowa
I agree but I think players (and probably more specifically agents) are starting to realize that unless you are good enough to get at least 20+ min off the bench in the NBA then it is a smarter career choice to stay in school and actually improve your game.
That isn't it at all actually. Most players are better off in the NBA even if they are getting just a few minutes a game. They are getting NBA coaching, getting used to the lifestyle, and actually getting paid. Their games don't just stop improving once they get to the NBA.
In most cases the cons outweigh the pros in terms of staying in college or going into the draft.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
It will be interesting to see how the NBA lockout affects the draft and guys leaving. I hope a lot of them come back...I prefer college basketball 100 times over the NBA

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The NBDL supposedly will still play regardless what the NBA does so I wonder how many of these guys that get drafted would be able to play in that. I would think any free agents that are guys that would have to fight for a roster spot would play in the D-League if a lockout occurs so they can stay in shape and hopefully impress some people in the meantime.

Just like the NFL mess right now, makes you wonder how many guys might look at Arena Football or Canadian Football leagues during the downtime.

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
That isn't it at all actually. Most players are better off in the NBA even if they are getting just a few minutes a game. They are getting NBA coaching, getting used to the lifestyle, and actually getting paid. Their games don't just stop improving once they get to the NBA.
In most cases the cons outweigh the pros in terms of staying in college or going into the draft.

I disagree. Name me a player that has left early and gotten better with "NBA coaching" and I'll name 10 that haven't. There really aren't that many practices in the NBA. They guys play 4/5 games a week and the starters take the off days and don't practice. You'll have walk throughs and what not , but the players aren't really improving unless they have the internal drive to improve. That doesn't happen very often. It would be really hard to convince me that it would be better for a players game to sit on an NBA bench vs come back and star/get playing time in college.

Money is the one and only advantage the NBA has and if you get drafted in the 1st round you usually get a 3-4 year guaranteed contract. Someone like Craig, who was already 23, wanted to take that guaranteed contract while it was there for him. But someone like Barnes or Sullinger who could both vastly improve on their games at the college level and still not hurt their stock will likely get more money over the long run by waiting another year.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I disagree. Name me a player that has left early and gotten better with "NBA coaching" and I'll name 10 that haven't. There really aren't that many practices in the NBA. They guys play 4/5 games a week and the starters take the off days and don't practice. You'll have walk throughs and what not , but the players aren't really improving unless they have the internal drive to improve. That doesn't happen very often. It would be really hard to convince me that it would be better for a players game to sit on an NBA bench vs come back and star/get playing time in college.

Money is the one and only advantage the NBA has and if you get drafted in the 1st round you usually get a 3-4 year guaranteed contract. Someone like Craig, who was already 23, wanted to take that guaranteed contract while it was there for him. But someone like Barnes or Sullinger who could both vastly improve on their games at the college level and still not hurt their stock will likely get more money over the long run by waiting another year.

You really want to do this? I could name guys who have improved with NBA coaching all day. I'll start with this: Derrick Rose. Your turn for 10 guys.

There's no argument to be made that players can improve their game more in college than in the NBA. The NCAA has limits on how much you can practice each week, players learn so much more just from sitting on the bench in the NBA than they would being in college.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
I am entering the draft this year. 6'1 inch guard from Ashford University Online. I am only a sophmore so I should get some looks.
I am also entering this year. 6'2 inch sophomore guard from thee Iowa State University. I can almost dunk and I'm shooting roughly 15% from 3 in intramurals. I think I got you beat.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

I disagree with your disagreement. Those 10 guys that you can name that didn't get better with NBA coaching likely wouldn't have been more "NBA-ready" with an extra year of college as you claim.

Here's the thing that a lot of people seem to be missing - the NBA is THE top-level league. It's the best of the best, and not everybody's going to make the NBA, whether they have the sickest college skills or not. And with these kids that just don't quite have what it takes, one extra year in college isn't going to be the difference. If the college game were the same game as the NBA game, perhaps a case could be made that an extra year would help, but it's not the same game, and it could actually be better argued that an extra year in college could harm the player as that's one less year that they have professional development, whether at the NBA or NBDL level.

ozone

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
So with the Morris twins, Thomas Robinson and Josh Selby likely, Tyshawn Taylor 50/50, and Reed, Morningstar, and Little graduating, who plays for KU next year?

Clones33

Jan 15, 2009
Ankeny, IA
You really want to do this? I could name guys who have improved with NBA coaching all day. I'll start with this: Derrick Rose. Your turn for 10 guys.

There's no argument to be made that players can improve their game more in college than in the NBA. The NCAA has limits on how much you can practice each week, players learn so much more just from sitting on the bench in the NBA than they would being in college.

I didn't word my statement correctly. I meant to say that sitting on an NBA bench does not improve the player as much as playing in the NCAA would. DRose came in and played. If you are a underclassmen and can go early to the league and actually play then by all means you should go. I'm thinking more along the lines of guys like Thabeet and MWilliams from UNC who could have used another year in college to actually play before getting their confidence shot on an NBA bench and in the NBAD League.

Every case should be looked at differently and I don't think there is one correct blanket answer. However, I think some agents are learning that the most valuable thing for their clients (or future clients) to do is to become the best possible basketball players and in some cases that involves staying in school.