Naz, Niang, Thomas, McGee - Who wins the 3 point contest?

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
This question came up on a podcast with Matt Thomas (the question in the pod had Hoiberg instead of McGee) and it got me thinking. My initial gut reaction was Niang wins but then I started looking at the stats and here are my current rankings:

1. Matt Thomas - He has shot over 47% over the past 3 years in Spain and Toronto.
2. Tyrus McGee - If he is hot...look out
3. Georges Niang - Rolls out of bed hitting shots
4. Naz Long - More of a testament to the other 3 guys being so good.

Who else is in the conversation?

Matt Thomas Podcast link:
https://traffic.libsyn.com/secure/moonlightgrahamshow/MattThomasFinal.mp3

Reactions: CyTwins

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
This question came up on a podcast with Matt Thomas (the question in the pod had Hoiberg instead of McGee) and it got me thinking. My initial gut reaction was Niang wins but then I started looking at the stats and here are my current rankings:

1. Matt Thomas - He has shot over 47% over the past 3 years in Spain and Toronto.

Don’t forget about Donovan Jackson. He was lights out.

Reactions: Lamoni

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Thomas would win it, most days. Mc3 could hang with him from time to time.

Matt set the record in the Spanish league's 3-pt contest last year for most points out of 3 rounds. I don't think he missed as many as 5 out of 25 in any of the 3 rounds:

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
During Tyrus’s senior year he sat at my table for Cy’s house of trivia. I asked him who on the team (including Hoiberg) would win a three point contest. Tyrus just laughed and said that he would win hands down.

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
Sullivan and Jackson would be interesting additions. I would probably put Sullivan in the top 3. It seems like Thomas's confidence has gone to another level since he left Iowa State, he is a perfect fit as a role player in the NBA.

With that said... no one gets hotter than Tyrus.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
My initial thought was Tyrus, but he's too much of a "jump" shooter and could get more fatigued. Whereas Naz doesn't jump much and has a quick release. George's release is too slow. Thomas has a good balance ofall those factors (release, jump, etc). I would go with him, but it would be a heck of a contest.

Throw in DJack, Sully, Chistopherson, Willoughby. That would be a fun tournament. And I think Tyrese could do better than people think.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Someone needs to talk Jamie/prohm into setting this up as a fundraiser event. I would think you could easily snag Miami, max, Thomas and McGee. Don’t know how accessible Sullivan and the others would be, but that would be fun to watch

gocy444

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
Not sure who wins, but if the contest required you to come sprinting around a screen and shoot fading away from 24 ft with a hand in your face, Tyrus takes the cake. That guy was something else.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.

Dedric Willoughby.

Reactions: cyclones500

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The one in the NBA that is getting paid to shoot threes...

Matt Thomas wins and it's not even a contest.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
With how well Matt is doing and the reputation he has created for himself as a shooter, how long until he gets a chance at the NBA 3 point contest? I would love to watch that

Reactions: Peter

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Thomas hit 99% of his uncontested 3 pointers in Spain. He ain't getting beat in this one.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron