Naz Long and player development

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Getting big production out of a guy like Naz would mean this team is going to be very good, IMO. We know Kane, Ejim and Niang are players. That much is certain.

If we have another 5/6th man who can give us production like Tyrus did last year (obviously maybe Naz isn't as profient on offense, but his game as a whole), then we'll have some very good depth to go with a pretty good starting 5. Morris will obviously give us some good production too.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
If Naz can continue to knock down shots that just makes this team that more dangerous. You still have SDW who can Hest up in a hurry too. (Yet to do it but he only attempted two shots). Once Ejim comes back you could have a bench of Long, Morris, SDW, and Gibson/Edozie. That's a pretty dangerous bench.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
If Naz can continue to knock down shots that just makes this team that more dangerous. You still have SDW who can Hest up in a hurry too. (Yet to do it but he only attempted two shots). Once Ejim comes back you could have a bench of Long, Morris, SDW, and Gibson/Edozie. That's a pretty dangerous bench.
I am so happy to have Hogue because I still don't have much confidence in Percy or Edozie getting more than a handful of minutes a game. With our guards being fairly solid, Hogue can play a lot of minutes at the 4-5 for Ejim and Niang rather than the 3.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I am so happy to have Hogue because I still don't have much confidence in Percy or Edozie getting more than a handful of minutes a game. With our guards being fairly solid, Hogue can play a lot of minutes at the 4-5 for Ejim and Niang rather than the 3.
Agreed, I'm not sure how much those two will play once Ejim gets back. Somebody will lose a lot of playing time and I hope it isn't SDW. We haven't seen much from him yet but I know he has the potential to go off. He did only take 2 shots today.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Long looks like a guy that can light it up when he's confident. We never got to see him get that kind of volume of shots off last year, but man did he look good today.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Hogue seems like he may be able to give us the type of season Ejim did as a sophomore which I think most of us would be thrilled with. Just my take.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Long looks like a guy that can light it up when he's confident. We never got to see him get that kind of volume of shots off last year, but man did he look good today.

It seemed to me that his ball handling and lack of game management experience kept his minutes down last year and we didn't get to see his strengths in D and long range shooting. If he can fill the Babb role the next few years I'll be loving it.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
If Naz can give us scoring ability, then with he and Morris, we have a lot of line ups available to us, where we should still be able to defend fairly well, rebound and dictate the offensive tempo.

We can run 3 guards or 3 bigs when needed.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
You're the guy that thought SDW would get minutes over him. Whoops.

It's great that Fred brings in the type of talent now that guys like both of them aren't forced into major roles before they're ready for it. Neither were last year, it seems like one or both of them may be ready now.