Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Apparently they used shovels and leveled it by hand?
Yes. Made their own sand and gravel base, too.
slaves.png

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Interesting decision to go with a combination of surfaces -- grass on the playing field, but artificial around the perimeter.

It'll sure cut down on the dead spots, both in the team areas and where cheerleaders and media stand. For example, check out JTS -- pretty easy to tell where spirit squad, media, and team areas are.
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 12.12.49 PM.png

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I've always been a big fan of the natural grass field, but after 2018, I've warmed up to the idea of Jack Trice Stadium being artificial turf.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Interesting decision to go with a combination of surfaces -- grass on the playing field, but artificial around the perimeter.

It'll sure cut down on the dead spots, both in the team areas and where cheerleaders and media stand. For example, check out JTS -- pretty easy to tell where spirit squad, media, and team areas are.
View attachment 72182
And what part of area 51, I mean the little circles in the North end-zone, is that?

Forgive me but how are fields w/ grass playing area and artificial sidelines, doing? Any problems, seams to trip over?

Also any health risks to be considering w/ these new artificial fields? Don't they have ground up rubber/tires in there? Any trouble breathing/ close contact w/ that stuff?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
What is the real durability of the artificial turf? Iowa had to replace their 2 year old turf in 2019. A news story at the time made it sound like high maintenance/replacement was pretty common around the country with AT. The are a number of lawsuits related to artificial turf failure.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
I've always been in favor of keeping natural grass, until recently. We've seen too many games in recent years where the quality of the surface is the story, not the quality of the play. That should not be, and the former cannot be allowed to routinely impact the latter. This program deserves a reliable playing surface.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
What is the real durability of the artificial turf? Iowa had to replace their 2 year old turf in 2019. A news story at the time made it sound like high maintenance/replacement was pretty common around the country with AT. The are a number of lawsuits related to artificial turf failure.
Maintenance can’t be that bad. Iowa only feels the weight of that because they probably don’t pay their labor.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
This from the story should convince nearly everyone.

"NFL players consistently experienced a much higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries on turf compared to natural surfaces. Specifically, players have a 28% higher rate of non-contact lower extremity injuries when playing on artificial turf. Of those non-contact injuries, players have a 32% higher rate of non-contact knee injuries on turf and a staggering 69% higher rate of non-contact foot/ankle injuries on turf compared to grass. "

Player safety has always been the #1 argument, and this data supports that. Having been on Nebraska's field with a bunch of elementary kids running around, I would think there is a potential inhalation hazard as there was a definite rubber residue dust in the air.

Football was just meant to be played on grass. Any playability argument against it is true for both teams. Grass to me also looks much better, even when in not ideal shape. This year we play in to December which could be an issue. Turf won't play that well in a slush or snow storm either. Just shouldn't normally play football on non heated fields up north in the winter. Good luck big 10.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Not sure if it's been mentioned on here, but the field will be replaced this off season with a new natural grass field.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
They could haul the old turf up my way. I live just North of JTS. Would look good in my yard and it would be a great conversation to say I have the part of the 20 yard line in my front yard.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
They could haul the old turf up my way. I live just North of JTS. Would look good in my yard and it would be a great conversation to say I have the part of the 20 yard line in my front yard.
I know you're joking but I wonder if they just replace the under layers or all the turf too? I'd love to buy some of that.