National One Hit Wonder Day

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Listening to "One Hit Wonder Radio" on iHeartRadio today in honor of the day (I guess). They've got a pretty loose definition of one-hit wonder in some instances, but has been an entertaining alternative to my usual KNBR at my desk.

On right now: Dexy's Midnight Runners

Reactions: Angie

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I'll add 2 others for now.

This:

And this. You despise it, sure, but you can't get it out of your ear-canal.

They put a cut-out 45 on the back of a cereal box of that song, when I was a kid. I think it might've been Honeycombs, but wouldn't swear to it. Played it on my close-and-play record player. It got scratched up pretty fast, though.

Reactions: cyclones500

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
These guys were literally 1 hit wonders. Came out with 1 big hit song then broke up the band before they released their 2nd single.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa

not a one hit wonder, but the fact that they spoofed everyone for a couple year and never sang anything is worth noting.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
One more to add...this George McCrae song gets in my head and doesn't leave for hours!

"Rock Your Baby"

Holy Crap; thank you!!
It was the summer of 1973, or '74 (I think '73). I was playing in the summer junior tennis tournaments all over Iowa and at one tourney in Waterloo, I went to a party. 'Rock Your Baby' was playing, but in the center of the party floor, surrounded by the crowd clapping, was a couple black teens doing this awesome dance where they "bump" their booties while twisting down and back up; then they sync'd tapping their heels. This was better than 'Soul Train' - this was smooth!
Looking back, I think I'll call this the first Disco song, when Disco was cool and this white boy just witnessed what a new dance craze called, "The Bump".........Rock Your Baby brings back this memory.
PS: I think George's wife did kinda remake of the song with different lyrics; called, "Rockin Chair"

Reactions: cyfanatic

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I'll add 2 others for now.

This:

And this. You despise it, sure, but you can't get it out of your ear-canal.

Props on the Wild Cherry. That was big time for ISU football warmups in the day.

But have to call foul on the Archies. Technically not a one hit wonder. I remember Bang Shang A Lang and Jingle Jangle. I ONLY remember Bang Shanga Lang because it was played on Sirius not too long ago. Possibly one of the count down shows. But I definitely remember Jingle Jangle.

All 3 are instant button hits for me.

I remember one classic skit from a very short lived Television series called, "The Music Scene" It was hosted by/starred David Steinberg. In the skit he's ruminating over the horrible state of the world while listening to a news cast on radio. The news in alternately bad, then good. With each bad news he sidles over to the window and is about to jump when the next good news story causes him to reconsider then move away from the window. After several bad/good iterations the news man says something like, "And for the 4th consecutive week Sugar Sugar by the Archies is the Number 1 Billboard song." Steinberg, without hesitation, takes a running approach and dives headfirst out the window.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Without looking it up, I'd say Dancing in the Moonlight was much later: it has the sound of something from the late 70s, maybe even the 80s.

I think 1972 is right on target for Brandy. I remember that summer, and that song.