National Duels Bracket

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
There are some excellent matchups in there. It would be cool if Iowa and ISU could have a re-match. Although, after the home loss to Okie State, I think Brands is having some fun with them in practice.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Without bonus points, I don't think we can beat Iowa. We could split matches with them and I'd bet they would still win due to bonus points. Our guys need to be aggressive and look to score rather than wait and counter.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The meet against Iowa we looked bad. If we come out the same way that we did when we beat Minnesota we could have a chance. We need to get past Hofstra and Michigan first though. Those aren't easy matches.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I disagree....we were not aggressive against Minnesota either. In fact, their coach complained after the meet we just sat back and wrestled defensively. Our typical match goes something like:

No scoring 1st period.....choose down for 2nd...escape, 1-0 ISU. Possible counter takedown in the 2nd period and attempt at riding time or opponent escapes. 3-1 ISU. 3rd period, opponent down and escapes...3-2 ISU. Then we let the other team press and we finish out on the defensive and hold on for a 1 or 2 pt. win.

While this works with many/most teams, it will not work against Va. Tech....errrr I mean Iowa.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I trust Cael knows what it takes to win. He must know he does not have a bunch of clones of himself on the mat.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
If the defensive strategy gives this team the best chance to win, I am ok with that. All I am saying is it will never work against Iowa with the lineups we both currently have. Maybe 1 out of 10 duals, but that is best case IMO.

I hope some of the incoming wrestlers are more aggressive in their techniques. Reader seems to be one of the best at this so that gives me hope moving forward.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Why isn't Okie St. in this? Are they not taking place in this just this year, are is this a common theme for their team? Anyone have any info on this?:confused:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
OSU is going to the Virginia Duals this weekend. John Smith has mentioned that he wants his team to see some different (eastern) competition. Otherwise you'd likely have the same guys matching up 4 or 5 times between National Duals, Big 12 duals, Big 12 tournament, and NCAA.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Why isn't Okie St. in this? Are they not taking place in this just this year, are is this a common theme for their team? Anyone have any info on this?:confused:

John Smith wanted to face other competition, as shadow said. I also heard there was grumbling about the tourney being in Iowa, and he didn't want to come up to Iowa for it all the time.