National Duals

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Don't care about your differing opinion, but if you don't support the program financially like so many of us do, you are not doing anything to solve the issue, same with football, basketball, and any other sport.

You are quick to criticize, but if you aren't helping, the words are either hollow, or you are here with a personal agenda. Judging by your posting history, I am pretty sure we all know which it is.

Can you please advise how many dollars I must give to the ISU wrestling program for my opinion to hold water? Are single match tickets enough or does it have to be season tickets? And does it have to be wrestling? What if I have season tickets to football and basketball, or attend individual games? If I donate to the ISU Foundation or the Cyclone Club does that count? Are these rules published anywhere? Maybe that would help.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
None of these sports are going to create revenue. Wrestling may lose less money if the team does well, but even if JP is biased towards t&f and cc you can't ignore the fact that those sports would do more for the athletic department than wrestling if they do well in regards to overall performance.

One correction: Both sports create "revenue" but neither sport will have a "net income."

Wrestling should be able to draw at least 4,000 per event on average. 7 home events at $10/ticket = $280,000. That's not chump change. T&F barely draws fans. Put that with the added expenses for T&F and wrestling is superior from a financial standpoint.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
One correction: Both sports create "revenue" but neither sport will have a "net income."

Wrestling should be able to draw at least 4,000 per event on average. 7 home events at $10/ticket = $280,000. That's not chump change. T&F barely draws fans. Put that with the added expenses for T&F and wrestling is superior from a financial standpoint.

You are correct, neither sport will create "net income," but a lot of people refer to them as non-revenue sports. I do not disagree at all that wrestling will create more revenue.

T&F definitey has added expense, but you act like they have the same number of athletes as wrestling. We probably need to compare the expense per athlete to get a fair comparison.......and I don't care enough to do that.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Can you please advise how many dollars I must give to the ISU wrestling program for my opinion to hold water? Are single match tickets enough or does it have to be season tickets? And does it have to be wrestling? What if I have season tickets to football and basketball, or attend individual games? If I donate to the ISU Foundation or the Cyclone Club does that count? Are these rules published anywhere? Maybe that would help.

All of those would help but the fact that you're a Hawkeye fan pretending to be a Cyclone fan was your downfall.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
So from the perspective of fulfilling NCAA participation requirements, men's track/cross country provides significantly more "bang for the buck" than wrestling does. If you took away men's indoor track, men's outdoor track, and men's cross country (sports which which you seem to think should be low priority), how many men's sports would ISU have?
Keep them I don't care I just don't think they should ever have priority over wrestling that's my opinion and an opinion most would agree on here at the wrestling forum. Hell they could exchange hockey and baseball for those 3 and I'd bet have more fans in the seats

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Hell they could exchange hockey and baseball for those 3 and I'd bet have more fans in the seats

No, ISU can't exchange cross country/track for baseball and hockey because ISU can't afford those sports. The point is that track/cross country is keeping ISU eligible for Division 1 at a quite low cost relative to what other sports would cost, and that's probably why the AD is giving those sports some priority. TF/CC is important to ISU, whether you believe it or not.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Until we become more competitive in the first four weight classes(25-49), we are going to continue to struggle. Sure, we had Roberson then Gallick and Long's one good year, but if you throw those guys out, we have been awful at the lighter classes. Hopefully with Hall and then Meeks things will improve, but it will be hard to move back to a top 5-10 program when we are this deficient at the lighter weights.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
No, ISU can't exchange cross country/track for baseball and hockey because ISU can't afford those sports. The point is that track/cross country is keeping ISU eligible for Division 1 at a quite low cost relative to what other sports would cost, and that's probably why the AD is giving those sports some priority. TF/CC is important to ISU, whether you believe it or not.
It's now more than ever. Pollard said he wants to make the ISU Classic the nation's "indoor Drake Relays." College athletes from around the country were raving about the meet and how they were treated. He and coach Smith seemed joined at the hip. What's our total budget - around $60 mil? I'd bet going forward that ISU's track budget will take a larger % of dollars from our our total athletic budget than any other BCS-level school in the country...

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
It wasn't a literal statement so calm down. My point was from strictly fan base. Also don't feed me with the bs that JP is giving priority to track and field because it's a low cost to keep us d1 it's because his kid is involved. You don't have to agree that wrestling shouldn't get priority over those sports that's the best part of the internet but I would say you should be prepared to be argued against on a wrestling forum from die hard fans.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

Ah, nice deflection there to actually not have to admit anything

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Ah, nice deflection there to actually not have to admit anything

There's nothing to deflect. It is silly to think only those who have season tickets to ISU wrestling hold a valid opinion.

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Also don't feed me with the bs that JP is giving priority to track and field because it's a low cost to keep us d1 it's because his kid is involved. You don't have to agree that wrestling shouldn't get priority over those sports that's the best part of the internet but I would say you should be prepared to be argued against on a wrestling forum from die hard fans.

I am prepared for discussion; I've shown you some facts and drawn a logical conclusions based on those facts. I've given a perfectly logical and sound reason for the AD to support TF/CC.

Now it's your turn. Show me some proof that:

1) Pollard is putting higher priority on TF/CC than wrestling.

2) If you can provide reasonable proof for (1), please provide proof that Pollard is doing (1) just because his kid runs track.

To this point, (1) is nothing more than just somebody's conjecture, and (2) is just wild speculation about the conjecture.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I am prepared for discussion; I've shown you some facts and drawn a logical conclusions based on those facts. I've given a perfectly logical and sound reason for the AD to support TF/CC.

Now it's your turn. Show me some proof that:

1) Pollard is putting higher priority on TF/CC than wrestling.

2) If you can provide reasonable proof for (1), please provide proof that Pollard is doing (1) just because his kid runs track.

To this point, (1) is nothing more than just somebody's conjecture, and (2) is just wild speculation about the conjecture.
Listen to his speeches when he first got here and wanting to make TF/CC a top goal to help in the DC. Also him wanting to create our indoor track into the top event in the nation. I'm not going to argue with you anymore on the subject, this is a wrestling board and I am going to support wrestling no matter what you want to believe, again the joy of the internet. I will take back my statement and eat my crow about it's just because of his kid, but I am sure emotionally he is much more invested in track because he has a personal connection with it in the form of his son than what he would with wrestling (That does not need any proof that is what is called human nature)

Edit: Also I never said TF/CC wasnt important to Iowa State, my statements have always been in the support that wrestling should get priority over those sports though, that's it nothing more nothing less. Don't think it would be difficult to understand that when you are posting in a wrestling forum to a wrestling fan.

Last edited:

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
There's nothing to deflect. It is silly to think only those who have season tickets to ISU wrestling old a valid opinion.

Sure, but when the entirety of their opinion is to rip on coaches and program, their opinions are pretty assholelike. When you offer nothing but negativity, and agenda nonsense, no it isn't useful. It is the same lame **** that garbage like queso did, and a real jerkoff ronsnap.

And buying tickets for hawk games and meets is NOT supporting the IOWA STATE programs.

It is OBVIOUS you are NOT an Iowa State fan. And I don't care that you root for your hawks, and panthers. But agendas on a fansite are amongst the most pathetic thing imaginable.

It's like the "fans" that only come around when things are bad, like you for instance. When winning, you are nowhere to be found. Why? Because you are unhappy when Iowa State wins.

THAT is what makes your opinion completely ******* worthless here. Even the good points as a fan of the sport you may be able to make, are lost because your agenda is so very crystal clear.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
I like Kevin Jackson and hope that he succeeds. He seems like a good guy from interviews, and you can see the losing eats at him. I don't know enough about wrestling to say what issues there could be from a management standpoint, but I will keep cheering for KJ.

Clonedad

Nov 11, 2012
NEICyFan// I have read your post for awhile but this is the first time of responding. It seems to me that it is difficult for you to admit that you are not a ISU fan, it is also clear that you are a hawk/panther fan (not a supporter) I just wanted to let you know that their is plenty of GOOD, BAD and ugly on your own boards.
in all do respect you are a troll (not a very good one as of yet but you seem to be working on it very well)
If you don't care for our coaches and or wrestlers and are not going to at least be objective then why don't you just keep it moving.

cytopia

Feb 13, 2014
Des Moines
I don't know that Pollard is putting more of an emphasis on T&F over wrestling or anything about budgets so I can't get NEICyFan's back on that end of it, but I am right in line with how he feels about this program right now. Most people are very frustrated with the direction we are heading and have been heading for a while now.

Clonedad, I don't think that calling people out for not being a Cyclone fan because they offer another side to your opinion is very constructive. I think his views are objective, just different than most. A growing number of fans are seeing his side of he coin. I think NEICyFan has added much more to this conversation than you just did.

Sorry, not trying to make waves...just sayin.

Clonedad

Nov 11, 2012
it is all about motive, I he just like I do (if you don't like the channel then change it) just sayin