NSCR: NASCAR changes the points system yet again

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I used to be an avid Nascar fan but haven't watched for years because they keep changing the damn thing.

The "Let them race and top 10 after 26 races can win the cup" thing worked. Why they seem to change every year now, I'll never know.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: kilroy and kcdc4isu

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
With Gordon, Stewart, Edwards retiring & Johnson & Dale Jr not far behind, it will take a big hit in fan base

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I like it. Also, there will be less commercials during green flag racing which is great.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
With Gordon, Stewart, Edwards retiring & Johnson & Dale Jr not far behind, it will take a big hit in fan base

Jr., Gordon, Johnson, and Edwards all had likeable personalities as well. I don't see any up-and-comers that can be "faces" or are charismatic enough for Nascar are can build a good fan base.

Kyle Busch, Denny Hamlin, Brad Keselowski, and Joey Logano are four guys that could be the faces of Nascar. But Busch and Keselowski are douchebags, Logano is a winey *****, and Hamlin is constantly getting in horse **** trouble with Nascar.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think this new format will result in many more crashes due to over-aggressive moves on the final laps of stages. Will there be a green/white restart flags for each stage?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I semi got into Nascar 10 years ago but just couldn't keep the interest up anymore. Don't really know the names of the new guys and don't care to know.

Maybe if Iowa ever got a NASCAR race, I'd get into it. Not sure what NASCAR did then to be so popular or how to get it back either.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was okay with tweaking the points system -- emphasizing wins and Top 5s and Top 10s relative to everything else... something of a geometric scaling to the points awarded, not the linear system from the 1970s forward... would be fine.

However, they've done too much to transform what used to be a marathon of a season that awarded consistency into a series of random coin flips in the end. Really killed the interest for me when 2-3 good races can win everything for you.

The fact they haven't given Newton a race, when the racing there is far better than most of the other tracks, too, hurts them. De-emphasizing more interesting short tracks for 1.5 mile tri- and quad-ovals definitely homogenized the product, too.

I still can't believe they left Rockingham and stripped Darlington down.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I semi got into Nascar 10 years ago but just couldn't keep the interest up anymore. Don't really know the names of the new guys and don't care to know.

Maybe if Iowa ever got a NASCAR race, I'd get into it. Not sure what NASCAR did then to be so popular or how to get it back either.
As far as I'm concerned the COT started the problem. In an effort to standardize the cars all they did was create a car that could barely pass another. So instead of addressing that they started changing the points system. Watch a race and whichever car gets out in front just seems to be able to run away with it until they either make a mistake or their tires start giving out. Whomever has the clean air has a more decided advantage then before.