NASA Announces Design for New Deep Space Exploration System

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

hawkeyeh8r

Jun 10, 2010
Ames
The taxpayers that are pumping a lot of money into a nerd's hobby.

yes but we are now saving hundreds of millions of dollars on the space shuttle program and this is definitely the way to go. we should use the ISS as a launch pad to starting a base on the moon and then eventually mars

BigDISU1

Apr 10, 2006
Oskaloosa, Iowa

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
"The SLS will have an initial lift capacity of 70 metric tons. That's more than 154,000 pounds, or 77 tons, roughly the weight of 40 sport utility vehicles. The lift capacity will be evolvable to 130 metric tons -- more than 286,000 pounds, or 143 tons -- enough to lift 75 SUVs."

I'm confused as to what we are going to do with all of these SUV's in space.

They must be Saturns.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
"The SLS will have an initial lift capacity of 70 metric tons. That's more than 154,000 pounds, or 77 tons, roughly the weight of 40 sport utility vehicles. The lift capacity will be evolvable to 130 metric tons -- more than 286,000 pounds, or 143 tons -- enough to lift 75 SUVs."

I'm confused as to what we are going to do with all of these SUV's in space.

They must be Saturns.

Zing!

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
yes but we are now saving hundreds of millions of dollars on the space shuttle program and this is definitely the way to go. we should use the ISS as a launch pad to starting a base on the moon and then eventually mars

Except that since we cut funding it will be burning up in the atmosphere and crashing into the ocean here soon.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The taxpayers that are pumping a lot of money into a nerd's hobby.

Yep, NASA's just a big waste of money. Nothing useful to life on Earth has ever came from NASA. No important discoveries or inventions, nothing like that. Oh, and Earth will exist forever and our species will never have to leave to survive... its not like the sun will ever change or eventually go nova.

I assume no sarcasm pirate is needed.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yep, NASA's just a big waste of money. Nothing useful to life on Earth has ever came from NASA. No important discoveries or inventions, nothing like that. Oh, and Earth will exist forever and our species will never have to leave to survive... its not like the sun will ever change or eventually go nova.

I assume no sarcasm pirate is needed.

Actually our sun will never go supernova - it's not big enough. At the end of it's life cycle it'll go red giant and then die as a whimpering white dwarf.

That being said, I don't disagree with your post.

Reactions: CloneIce

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Actually our sun will never go supernova - it's not big enough. At the end of it's life cycle it'll go red giant and then die as a whimpering white dwarf.

That being said, I don't disagree with your post.

I'm sure the SUV's of the future will be blamed for that global warming as well!

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
It's not like we need the money for roads or anything.

:smile:

Roads? Where we're going...we won't need roads.

marty_doc.jpg

Reactions: bos