NAIA Football

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Thanks for everyone’s responses re NAIA vs DIII. It was informative because I always thought NAIA was podunk schools and maybe even below DIII but I see that is not the case. Also explains why there is NAIA divisions I and II (except for football). I mistakenly had the opinion that NAIA division II was something like high end intramurals.
One thing many people don’t know is JUCOs also have division one and two.

D3 I’ve always said what you need to get on the team is a checkbook or student loan availability. Know kids who started at that level who barely played at small school level.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
My daughter is currently at William Penn in Osky. To promote kids from Iowa attending, they have a scholarship that basically gets your total cost in the $12k range per year whether you are on athletic scholarship or not. We pushed her to go to ISU, but she wanted to play sports so I had said it had to cost less than ISU. I was shocked when I found out that almost everyone that goes to school there is paying in that $12k range. The published cost is around $37k / year.

If I had a son, I would never let them go there as the diploma is not close to equivalent to ISU and I'm not sure how he would ever get a job.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
One thing many people don’t know is JUCOs also have division one and two.

D3 I’ve always said what you need to get on the team is a checkbook or student loan availability. Know kids who started at that level who barely played at small school level.
I got "recruited" by a couple D3 schools back in high school, really all that entailed was a couple coaches stopping by our school and talked to the kids that didn't totally suck. To be nice, I'll just say a coach at a good football school told me after a couple years I'd have a chance to play if I worked hard yada yada, and a coach at a bad football school said I could come in right away and have a chance to start. I figured they were really bad if that was the case. I ended up having more fun working for the football team at ISU anyway

Reactions: BCClone

ChiClone17

Sep 2, 2016
There are 9 NAIA Conferences And 4 independents. The majority are from KT, IN, IL, IA, SD, ND, NE, KS, MO. Looks like nothing in the Northeast or Southern rockies to CA. A handful in TX and FL
Interesting, a bunch of Cal schools must have moved from NAIA to DII, because they used to have some elite NAIA baseball teams in CA that were full of DI transfers and MLB draft picks (schools like Asuza Pacific, etc.).

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
NAIA schools like Grandview and William get a number of DI washouts. A few years ago Grandview had two Penn State transfers on the basketball roster. That isn’t uncommon. They also throw a lot of money at those players. I worked at Clarke in Dubuque, also NAIA, and they weren’t throwing money at such players and it showed.

jackrabbit

Dec 2, 2006
Interesting, a bunch of Cal schools must have moved from NAIA to DII, because they used to have some elite NAIA baseball teams in CA that were full of DI transfers and MLB draft picks (schools like Asuza Pacific, etc.).
I should have been more specific. I looked at NAIA Football conferences. There could be non football conferences.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
I got "recruited" by a couple D3 schools back in high school, really all that entailed was a couple coaches stopping by our school and talked to the kids that didn't totally suck. To be nice, I'll just say a coach at a good football school told me after a couple years I'd have a chance to play if I worked hard yada yada, and a coach at a bad football school said I could come in right away and have a chance to start. I figured they were really bad if that was the case. I ended up having more fun working for the football team at ISU anyway
I played at a D3 level and this is pretty accurate. The top players of the teams are generally decent players, but a majority of the roster are recruited so they can pay tuition...

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone