My plan to save #CFB

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
At this point I pretty much expect the slow slip into no sports for a while. This entire thing is so off the rails.

It will be interesting to see how the professional sports work out with no fans in attendance. That will start up in just two short weeks. We will learn a lot very soon. But yes you are right, it looks like some states are going completely off the rails and if that trend continues and spreads, yeah, this might be a really long fall.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Right now probably not but ISU doesn't go to Texas until November and things could be much better by then or it goes to complete crap and the season ends.

Will be worse in the north by then most likely, already spiking in some northern states. It’s just going to keep flaring up.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm working in Florida right now, it's not encouraging.
It will be interesting to see how the professional sports work out with no fans in attendance. That will start up in just two short weeks. We will learn a lot very soon. But yes you are right, it looks like some states are going completely off the rails and if that trend continues and spreads, yeah, this might be a really long fall.

kcbob79clone

Why would you want to start fball later? Earlier the better imo.. it would be far better to be done in November than January.

My thoughts are that season is probably over, delaying the start means you won't end up with a mess and disappointment when canceled after a couple games. With a delay in starting we will know if games can be played.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
My thoughts are that season is probably over, delaying the start means you won't end up with a mess and disappointment when canceled after a couple games. With a delay in starting we will know if games can be played.
This makes absolutely no sense.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Why would you want to start fball later? Earlier the better imo.. it would be far better to be done in November than January.

1% of population has had Covid...Wait 2-3 months when its 10% and completely out of control.

Here’s my idea to save sports and lives:

starting August 1st entire United States of America’s will commence a MANDATORY 30 day lockdown.
You will have from now until July 31st to stock up on food and rations.
Only services open will be healthcare.
Nobody can leave their home for 30 days and will be arrested immediately unless you are driving to the ER.

Do this and the virus burns out and completely in the US...After the 30 day lockdown no traveling to the US unless you have either had Covid or agree to a mandatory 14 day quarantine upon arrival monitored by the Military...This will last Until a vaccine is available.

End of Pandemic here.

Your idea might have been possible in March, but not now. Too many already have been exposed to the virus, its now airborne. We are better off opening up as best as possible, protect those that getting the disease will be fatal, and HOPE and PRAY for a vaccine to get here sooner than later.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
If I were them, I'd cancel the nonconference, then move conference games up to Week 0. Play 3-4 games followed by a bye. Then another 3-4 and a bye. Follow that up with 2-3 with another bye spaced in there. Gives you maximum flexibility to reschedule or pick up an opponent. No conference championships, no bowl games. Maybe a playoff. If things go off the rails, have a plan to shut it all down and start up in the spring.

Reactions: isutrevman

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I totally understand this will never happen, but it'd be pretty freakin cool for a year. Big 12-SEC alliance. Four pods of six

North:
ISU
KSU
KU
OU
OSU
Mizzou

South:
Texas
TCU
Tech
Baylor
A&M
Arkansas

East:
LSU
Bama
Auburn
WVU (didn't know where else to put them)
Ole Miss
Miss St

Farther East:
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Kentucky
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

Play each team in your pod and the other geographically closest to you. Top team in each pod goes to a 4 team playoff

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Thoroughbred

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 27, 2016
I would have started a new post but honestly dont know how since im usually just an observer. If there was ever a year for college sports video games to come back, this is it. seasons will likely be cancelled. easports could release football and basketball games and simply use their old models of stadiums and arenas and then just just update rosters. Of course any renovations like the sez at isu wouldnt be in there but they could use the current madden and nba live gameplay and put out new games right away. Use money from sales to reward players for playing and get schools out of financial ruin. people who are smart enough to go to college, are smart enough to go to online community college and transfer to iowa or iowa state. the schools are desperate for money and im sure ea would love to collect the easy money.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Your idea might have been possible in March, but not now. Too many already have been exposed to the virus, its now airborne. We are better off opening up as best as possible, protect those that getting the disease will be fatal, and HOPE and PRAY for a vaccine to get here sooner than later.
It has alaways been airborne.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I posted this on #Twitter

(1/3) My plan to save #CFB. My buddy Steven R. Covey says better to be proactive than reactive so here goes @NCAAFootball @Big12Conference
@SEC @B1Gfootball @pac12 @theACC
- cancel all nonconf games (B1G has already done this) allowing to slip schedule 3-4 weeks

(2/3) - each #Power5 school plays 9 #Power5 games (sorry #GroupOf5 teams)
- no bye weeks allowing season to start as late as possible
- #CFPlayoff expanded to 8 teams with 5 conference champions automatic bids, 3 at large bids. Teams play max 11 games

(3/3) - all bowl games will be held of course
- start with 50% attendance for first conference game and see what happens

So, thoughts
I like the idea especially because conference champions get into an expanded playoff. Most important for the sport is the TV contract, so i dont even think we have to start with 50% seating. Maybe start with srudents only, then each week, depending on how things go, add to attendance through donor levels and ticket seniority.

kcbob79clone

I like the idea especially because conference champions get into an expanded playoff. Most important for the sport is the TV contract, so i dont even think we have to start with 50% seating. Maybe start with students only, then each week, depending on how things go, add to attendance through donor levels and ticket seniority.

I'm liking this idea, especially correcting a typo.

But I now believe there is a chance that zero attendance may be the solution to allow the games to be played.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016
It will be spring ball conference only or no football at all until fall 2021. I believe if they do spring ball and end in late May (no bowl games), then they drop non-con again in fall 2021 and start in October.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
As long as student athletes keep testing positive, I have a hard time believing games will be played.
I don't agree with that. If the criteria was that no player can get the virus, we wouldn't even be discussing the possibility of playing. We wouldn't even be discussing the possibility of having colleges open period.

I'll ask this. Are athletes more likely to contract the virus while practicing and playing games, or while going to classes, living in the dorms/apartments and in general life outside the football complex? In my opinion, being inside the football complex is going to be as safe, or safer than being around campus. Think about meals alone. On campus cafeterias have hundreds of students in there at one time. Students who probably aren't adhering to strict protocols and periodic testing like athletes will be. Athletes would be much safer eating meals at the football complex.

If experts determine that athletes are put at a higher risk than the average student, then it probably makes sense to not play. I don't believe that is the case, though. But, I could be wrong.