My plan to save #CFB

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
As long as the government allows millions of people to crowd the streets and protest this virus is probably not going anywhere... let them play and if some don't want to participate fine...

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Actually, the WHO published something either yesterday or Wednesday stating they now think contact transmission is more prevalent than respiratory transmission. Like 60-40 or 70-30. But if you wait long enough they’ll change their mind again.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
Actually, the WHO published something either yesterday or Wednesday stating they now think contact transmission is more prevalent than respiratory transmission. Like 60-40 or 70-30. But if you wait long enough they’ll change their mind again.

If by "they'll change their mind again" you mean "additional evidence will become available as we learn more about the virus, and scientists will and should use that additional evidence to amend or revise our current thoughts and recommendations"......then yeah, they'll change their mind again. It's how science works....

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Plan: use a time machine to go back three months and beat some sense into the weak minded idiots who raged against wearing a mask in public. Then we'd be pretty much fine like every other developed country.
Also have the WHO, CDC, every health expert and politician urge mask wearing from the start. If they had done that, which includes Trump encouraging mask wearing, and wearing one himself publicly, I think you'd have like 90% compliance or better, which is probably good enough.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Contact like touch or contact like close long-term contact, and respiratory like it's freely floating in the air respiratory?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Cancel the season if you have to, but be realistic about the impact. Basically kiss everything that isn't football and MBB bye-bye, and that may be optimistic.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I don’t really need a study to tell me that a sick person coughing or breathing on me will spread a contagious virus.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
If by "they'll change their mind again" you mean "additional evidence will become available as we learn more about the virus, and scientists will and should use that additional evidence to amend or revise our current thoughts and recommendations"......then yeah, they'll change their mind again. It's how science works....
You may not grasp how science, especially medical science, is supposed to work.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Cancel the season if you have to, but be realistic about the impact. Basically kiss everything that isn't football and MBB bye-bye, and that may be optimistic.

The major expense for any sport is travel and coaches salary. Without games being played, their travel to and from games will be zero. The coaches will take a pay cut. The tuition, room and board for many of the students is already paid for by donations, and that money is already there.
Sure schools may struggle short term without revenue, but no college is going to allow their sports program to disappear if they do not play this year. It would be horrible for the school, and administrations understand that fact, if they have to, they will dip into their reserves to make up the difference.

Now D3 schools may be in trouble, but even them, they should be able to last a year without sports. It just makes it more difficult to recruit incoming students at the smaller school because many are athletes, and that is the reason they are attending those schools.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The major expense for any sport is travel and coaches salary. Without games being played, their travel to and from games will be zero. The coaches will take a pay cut. The tuition, room and board for many of the students is already paid for by donations, and that money is already there.
Sure schools may struggle short term without revenue, but no college is going to allow their sports program to disappear if they do not play this year. It would be horrible for the school, and administrations understand that fact, if they have to, they will dip into their reserves to make up the difference.

Now D3 schools may be in trouble, but even them, they should be able to last a year without sports. It just makes it more difficult to recruit incoming students at the smaller school because many are athletes, and that is the reason they are attending those schools.

Ive been looped in to the AD recently via a new friend that I made and have since gone in to business with. That “ice age” comment from JP was directed at the politicians. It’s not reality, because that’s not the world a Republican dominated state works. He’s sending them a message, send a check if we can’t go.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I totally understand this will never happen, but it'd be pretty freakin cool for a year. Big 12-SEC alliance. Four pods of six

North:
ISU
KSU
KU
OU
OSU
Mizzou

South:
Texas
TCU
Tech
Baylor
A&M
Arkansas

East:
LSU
Bama
Auburn
WVU (didn't know where else to put them)
Ole Miss
Miss St

Farther East:
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Kentucky
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

Play each team in your pod and the other geographically closest to you. Top team in each pod goes to a 4 team playoff
Oh Lord, I want this.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Contact like touch or contact like close long-term contact, and respiratory like it's freely floating exact in the air respiratory?
You are correct in your first example. Say I’m positive, I contaminate a surface, then you come in contact with that surface and infect yourself by touching your face, whatever. The interesting thing about their study is they looked at what they referred to as “spreader events” which occurred at places that had mask requirements to gain entrance. These were all in Europe and Asia. I inferred from their description that each establishment served alcohol. So we have no idea how strictly the mask requirement was enforced or if the patrons were even wearing their masks correctly. What they did though was swab surfaces in each location and came up with an extraordinary number of contaminated surfaces. Long story short, you could spend all day shooting holes in their methodology, motivation, and conclusions.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

-- Mike Tyson

"Therefore, no plan of operation extends with any sustainability beyond the first contact with the main hostile force."

-- Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

"I never had a plan of operations."

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Every single college football coach who was on the hot seat after 2019 is going to get a hall pass for 2020. It's like a perfect scenario for the AD who doesn't want to come up with buyout money.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
You may not grasp how science, especially medical science, is supposed to work.

You may be right......but my DVM degree, clinical veterinary experience, veterinary pathology residency, and masters degree in veterinary microbiology would imply some degree of working knowledge regarding the medical sciences.

But please, enlighten me as to how medical science is supposed to work.....

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I imagine they would want to play. I don't see how football brings any more risk of them getting covid vs the rest of their lives. Unless classes cancel/go all on-line and we outlaw parties, shut down bars/restaurants, etc in addition to cancelling football.
It adds risk simply because it's not essential. I don't understand how people can't comprehend this. Going to class is a hell of a lot more essential than a football game. I'm pretty sure Campbell and Prohm are having discussions with players constantly concerning not going to the bars/partying/eating out/appropriate hygiene, etc.

You have it in your head it has to be all or nothing and that's stupid. It's this thing adults are supposed to be able to do called prioritizing.

Getting yourself food? Important...whether that's via HyVee or Costco or takeout from a restaurant makes little difference. Do you need to dine in to be able to eat? Absolutely not. Wearing a mask in HyVee or Costco is risk mitigation. Dining in a restaurant (at this point in time) is stupid.

Do you need to get a drink at the bar? Absolutely not.

Do you need to pick up your prescription meds? Absolutely.

Do you need to go to the frat party? Nope.

Going to class? Important. Mask and be cognizant of hygiene. Very easy to mitigate risk.

Going to work? Important. Mask and be cognizant of hygiene. Very easy to mitigate risk.

Do we need college football? Nope. Do states really want 300+ people (I'm sure they can get rid of a good chunk of people in the traveling parties) from "hot zones" coming to their state? Big 12 has Texas. Pac 12 has Arizona and California. SEC and ACC have Florida. Big 10 at this point in time appears to be in ok territory but that is going to change significantly over the next two months.

This doesn't have to be rocket science but Americans on the whole have proven how stupid they are during this pandemic. We would've had college football potentially with full stadiums if Americans weren't selfish and stupid. Instead they've chosen to make a mockery of masks while the rest of the world has mostly returned to normal.

Moral of the story is saving college football needed to happen back in April and May. It's July, cases have skyrocketed and there's no end in sight. In the event conference were more geographical I think it could work a lot better (IE Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, etc.) but as they sit the conferences are spread so far and wide you don't have localized "good" zones.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Also have the WHO, CDC, every health expert and politician urge mask wearing from the start. If they had done that, which includes Trump encouraging mask wearing, and wearing one himself publicly, I think you'd have like 90% compliance or better, which is probably good enough.

Is this really the angle we're going to take? Blame all of this on the WHO, CDC, etc who didn't recommend wearing masks at the start?

There's a VERY good reason they didn't recommend masks at the very start. We didn't have enough supply for everyone. So they were forced to pick the lesser of two evils I'm afraid. They had no good options.

If they had told everyone at the start to wear a mask, there wouldn't have been enough for the hospital workers that we needed to save people's lives. So that's why they smartly made that decision.

Europe has proven that wearing masks works. We just have refused to do it in this country.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Is this really the angle we're going to take? Blame all of this on the WHO, CDC, etc who didn't recommend wearing masks at the start?

There's a VERY good reason they didn't recommend masks at the very start. We didn't have enough supply for everyone. So they were forced to pick the lesser of two evils I'm afraid. They had no good options.

If they had told everyone at the start to wear a mask, there wouldn't have been enough for the hospital workers that we needed to save people's lives. So that's why they smartly made that decision.

Europe has proven that wearing masks works. We just have refused to do it in this country.

To be fair, I don't recall them communicating that. Instead they were wishy washy on masks' effectiveness even though there's other countries where it's a norm to help slow the spread of viruses during those seasons.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
To be fair, I don't recall them communicating that. Instead they were wishy washy on masks' effectiveness even though there's other countries where it's a norm to help slow the spread of viruses during those seasons.

Why would they communicate it?

You think they should have said.... "we're telling you that masks aren't effective only because we're afraid we're going to run out and not have enough for the hospitals."?

There's also a possibility at the beginning, when they didn't know much at all about the Trump Virus, that they were wrong too (although I still contend they did, but they knew there was a shortage of supply).

But the point is.... at some point fairly early on, they did recommend wearing masks. But people refused to wear them. And then we opened everything back up while cases were still rising nearly everywhere throughout the country.

This is all on us I'm afraid. Europe has shown it can be done.