My only complaint

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I really think Rahshon needs to get the ball more and get some more shots. I feel really strongly about this and have for about a month. He only had 5 attempts yesterday. I'm sure part of it is him not getting to the right spot on the floor and some of it is guys not getting the ball to him at the right times - but the guy is a senior, our leader, an absolute warrior, and I'd love to see him get some more touches.

That is all.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Ditto that...whether we have 150 or 300 or whatever set plays in the arsenal...we should have a few that are designed to take advantage of Rahshon's athleticism moving towards the basket (back door alley-oops, back cuts, etc.). I would prefer to see more plays run to get a shot moving towards the basket than to get a shot behind the 3 point line (which is all we seemed to get last night).

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
I agree 100%! We have Tivo, and when we watched the game last night, you could literally count on your hands how many times Rahshon touched the ball. Not shot the ball, but merely touched the ball. He was also only 3 for 4 against Oklahoma St. He is our highest % shooter, so we need to get him the ball more. Look what happened against Mizzou when he went 6 for 13 and had 16 points. For us to win games, we need him scoring at least 10 ppg.

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Ditto that...whether we have 150 or 300 or whatever set plays in the arsenal...we should have a few that are designed to take advantage of Rahshon's athleticism moving towards the basket (back door alley-oops, back cuts, etc.). I would prefer to see more plays run to get a shot moving towards the basket than to get a shot behind the 3 point line (which is all we seemed to get last night).

Exactly, that would be perfect for him given his quickness and he's also a decent threat from behind the arc. One of the plays I always enjoyed was when Fred Hoiberg used to cut to the basket.

Jul 25, 2007
I'm a nomad.

Was it just me or did it seem like last night we only ran about 2 different set plays. That got a bit annoying.

Hey, Cyfan13....do you think it's just the offense that ISU runs and that's why Rahshon is not getting his shots, or has it been good defense lately, or just him not taking advantage of his oppurtunities? Just wondering your thoughts. Thanks.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
We simply do not have the point guards to set Rashon up for his shots. He has gotten better at it, but in general he still struggles to get his own looks off the dribble. Against KU with Chalmers or Robinson guarding him there was no way he could create of the dribble, it was a similar situation with OSU.

Ironically, I think losing Mike Taylor might have hurt Rashon (offensively) the most. He would have benefited from Taylor setting the table for him.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Was it just me or did it seem like last night we only ran about 2 different set plays. That got a bit annoying.

Hey, Cyfan13....do you think it's just the offense that ISU runs and that's why Rahshon is not getting his shots, or has it been good defense lately, or just him not taking advantage of his oppurtunities? Just wondering your thoughts. Thanks.

I think it's a little of the offense and him not taking advantage of his opportunities. Like I said, some games he just never really gets a chance to touch the ball, and most of his points are scored off of him getting offensive rebounds. But other times he will pass up an opportunity to score. But I do think the main reason he passes up opportunities to score is because he wants to pass up a good shot for a great shot. He doesn't like to force things and lets it come to him. You watch everyone else on the team and they have no problem heaving up a 3 with 26 seconds left on the shot clock and two defenders in their face, but Rahshon would never do that. That is a good thing, but every now and then he needs to just take over and be aggressive, as we saw in the Mizzou game. But, I think the offense is definitely not set up for him to score much. It's centered around getting the ball inside and Wes shooting, which is fine, but it sure seems like a waste to have someone like Rahshon out there and not have him taking more shots.

JPOP

Oct 11, 2006
Yeah bryce c we should throw to blythe more too. Rashon needs to demand the ball and when he gets the ball he needs to do what he does. He touches the ball just about every possession but he allways passes it. He's to unselfish for the teams own good.

JDDCy

Jul 1, 2006
I'm not sure but I think most of the time last night Clark was guarded by one of their smaller perimeter guys. Chalmers, Robinson and Collins are all 4-5 inches shorter than him. Why not post him up on the block a couple times and see what happens.

Good to see you back posting 13.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not sure but I think most of the time last night Clark was guarded by one of their smaller perimeter guys. Chalmers, Robinson and Collins are all 4-5 inches shorter than him. Why not post him up on the block a couple times and see what happens.

Rashon struggles in the post as well. They tried posting him against smaller guys earlier in the year and it was not successful.

Jul 25, 2007
I'm a nomad.

Funny, Hubert Davis actually mentioned this in the broadcast last night.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I think Rahshon is playing perfect to his abilities this year. Honestly, I think he is playing the best he has played in his 4 years. He's not forcing things, taking good shots, and doing a lot of little things (not to mention being our best defender).

I think Rahshon does best when the offense comes to him and he does not try to create offense. This is why his shooting percentage is high this year. Last year, for example, it seemed he forced some things and his shooting suffered terribly. This year he has looked so GREAT and it is because he is playing within himself.

I agree that we need Rahshon to score around 10-14 per game, but those points need to "find him" via open shots and offensive put backs.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
Rashon struggles in the post as well. They tried posting him against smaller guys earlier in the year and it was not successful.

I disagree with that. He's actually really good at posting up. He did it all the time his sophomore year. I can't remember very many times they tried to post him up this year??? They may have done it a few (and I mean very few) times, but definitely not enough.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think Rahshon is playing perfect to his abilities this year. Honestly, I think he is playing the best he has played in his 4 years. He's not forcing things, taking good shots, and doing a lot of little things (not to mention being our best defender).

I think Rahshon does best when the offense comes to him and he does not try to create offense. This is why his shooting percentage is high this year. Last year, for example, it seemed he forced some things and his shooting suffered terribly. This year he has looked so GREAT and it is because he is playing within himself.

I agree that we need Rahshon to score around 10-14 per game, but those points need to "find him" via open shots and offensive put backs.

This is a great post. Pos rep.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006

This makes no sense to me. Actually, "he finds" most of his own points off of hustle in fast break situations and on the offensive glass.

The point of running set plays (which is what our coach wants to do) is to get players in optimal position to take advantage of their personal skill set. Again, I have got to believe that we should be able to get some great looks for Rahshon moving towards the basket. Certainly, not all of our set plays are designed for Brackins, Johnson, and Hubalek to end up with a three pointer as it appeared at times last night.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I disagree with that. He's actually really good at posting up. He did it all the time his sophomore year. I can't remember very many times they tried to post him up this year??? They may have done it a few (and I mean very few) times, but definitely not enough.

First off, his soph year we didn't have anyone posting up, much less Rashon. And they ran several set plays for him against lesser teams this year, and he struggled with it, basically going to the fade each time.

As I do often, I'll go to the Burce Bowen comparison. Bowen often has the other teams smallest guy guarding him, but rarely do they post him up, because it is simply not his game. Rashon's game is to get put backs, hit 3's and play great D all of which he does well.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
This makes no sense to me. Actually, "he finds" most of his own points off of hustle in fast break situations and on the offensive glass.

The point of running set plays (which is what our coach wants to do) is to get players in optimal position to take advantage of their personal skill set. Again, I have got to believe that we should be able to get some great looks for Rahshon moving towards the basket. Certainly, not all of our set plays are designed for Brackins, Johnson, and Hubalek to end up with a three pointer as it appeared at times last night.

You guys are both saying the same thing, just wording it differently.

I think part of the problem last night was our bigs were not keeping their guys off the glass, which limited some of Clark's bread and butter put back dunks.

By the way, Clark dunking on that freshman big was awesome.

Cyfan13

Dec 14, 2007
Ames
First off, his soph year we didn't have anyone posting up, much less Rashon. And they ran several set plays for him against lesser teams this year, and he struggled with it, basically going to the fade each time.

As I do often, I'll go to the Burce Bowen comparison. Bowen often has the other teams smallest guy guarding him, but rarely do they post him up, because it is simply not his game. Rashon's game is to get put backs, hit 3's and play great D all of which he does well.

I've done nothing but watch Rahshon for four years, and I can tell you that he did post up his soph and even some of his fresh year when he played the 4. I have film on it if you'd like to see it.

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
I agree that he does need a FEW more looks per game only because some of the threes he takes seem rushed. Maybe he takes those because he isnt getting the ball enough. I think the reason for that though is that for the first time in a while we actually have a variety of scorers.