My guess is the season gets postponed next week ...

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Where did trevor attend medical school? I'll hang up and listen.

I love the people that work in black/white absolutes. As if a person can’t have a healthy respect for the virus and follow all protocols and yet still recognize that a college kid is perhaps more likely to contract the virus outside of a quasi-controlled environment.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I love the people that work in black/white absolutes. As if a person can’t have a healthy respect for the virus and follow all protocols and yet still recognize that a college kid is perhaps more likely to contract the virus outside of a quasi-controlled environment.
Respectfully I don't give a **** what the players think. This idea that non-experts should get an opinion on how we tackle the virus is the reason we currently are on the way to 200k deaths and our peers in our response are third world countries.

Reactions: Bigman38

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

Explain this. It makes absolutely no sense. How is the environment more dangerous if they aren't travelling all over the country interacting with hundreds of other people.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
probably the same place you did.. but he and a lot of others out there are willing to except the risks.. the same as all the essential workers out there who have been at work this whole time..
This argument continues to be stupid. Football by no measure is essential. Also his decision impacts more than just himself, so again respectfully I don't give a **** about his opinion.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Explain this. It makes absolutely no sense. How is the environment more dangerous if they aren't travelling all over the country interacting with hundreds of other people.
those hundreds of other people are most likely being tested to help with the situation. and those found to have the virus get quarantined a bit faster, yet the general student body won't have that advantage.

• Dumb

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
those hundreds of other people are most likely being tested to help with the situation. and those found to have the virus get quarantined a bit faster, yet the general student body won't have that advantage.

Getting tested doesn't keep you from getting the virus. Limiting the number of people you interact with keeps you from getting the virus.

Reactions: Halincandenza

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
This argument continues to be stupid. Football by no measure is essential. Also his decision impacts more than just himself, so again respectfully I don't give a **** about his opinion.
yeah it can potentially effect the Vollyball player, the cross country runner, the tennis team etc.. you think the money that football would lose out on just effects one sport? how will the other sports programs survive at some schools if there is no cash cow football? Akron I think it was has already shuttered most of it's sports programs this year how many more will have to follow suit because of it?

• Dumb

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Who on this board is “downplaying” the virus?

Those that continue to compare it to other diseases and how we don't shut down for them that were not even in the same ballpark for deaths or hospitalizations, etc.

That was still happening just today.

Someone just yesterday said we're shutting stuff down for a little cold or something along those lines.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
yeah it can potentially effect the Vollyball player, the cross country runner, the tennis team etc.. you think the money that football would lose out on just effects one sport? how will the other sports programs survive at some schools if there is no cash cow football? Akron I think it was has already shuttered most of it's sports programs this year how many more will have to follow suit because of it?
I'll pour one out for those sports but i think you should be pointing the finger at the people who haven't spent the past 5 months alone and wearing masks.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
Getting tested doesn't keep you from getting the virus. Limiting the number of people you interact with keeps you from getting the virus.
then have players go online only/limited class lab exposure. Thats already what is happening to begin with for most schools. if your around the same 150ish people everyday who are all testing negative, and then travel to a group that is doing the same, how much spread could there really be?? how do you spread whats not there potentially? there's enough will to play from these guys it could work. now say we have no sports and they become part of the regular student body on campus then how many will contract it?

• Dumb

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
then have players go online only/limited class lab exposure. Thats already what is happening to begin with for most schools. if your around the same 150ish people everyday who are all testing negative, and then travel to a group that is doing the same, how much spread could there really be?? how do you spread whats not there potentially? there's enough will to play from these guys it could work. now say we have no sports and they become part of the regular student body on campus then how many will contract it?

They're part of the student body if they play games or don't play games.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
it's ok for you to admit not knowing that this can end up changing the dynamics of college sports as we know it, and that there is more going on from a business side as well. yes college sports is a huge industry and you take away the big cash cow then what happens? how many sports do we shutter afterwards and how many potentially lose that college scholarship opportunity? how many players will get sick during events were everyone involved is potentially being tested at least weekly compared to if they are just going to classes/life in general? as Trevor posted in some of his tweets the football team might be the safest place for some of these players during this..

I don't think there's a person that doesn't realize that this could change the dynamics of college sports.

Just like it showed us how fragile our economy is despite low unemployment numbers, this is accelerating the reality of just how dumb it is that we place more value on kids' games than we do for things that are literally more valuable to our ability to sustain life.

Wouldn't that be something if we figured out how to get to a place where an athletic scholarship wasn't the only way for kids to get a good education?

Our society is showing every day that we don't want to learn anything from this situation so I suppose our leaning on football won't change either.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

If the season gets cancelled you aren’t having fall practice. No practice sessions but still on campus with 20-30K other kids. These guys have ten fold the interaction with other people during the week then they would have on the four proposed road trips this fall.

We are now forced into this spot because our nation failed. But there will be similar risks for these young men if they are on campus regardless of whether they are playing football.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’m not sure what is childish about it. People (a small percentage) are happy about this outcome because it vindicates their position. I’ve done my part from a social contract perspective for my fellow citizen and was hoping others would as well.
I just think that some of these posters that are involved in every thread and say they are truly concerned about businesses and this website should step up.
There is one for sure that can sit in the parquet for men’s and women’s b-ball and post in every thread but doesn’t want to donate $12 a month to this website. I’m sorry it’s tough for me to take those posters seriously.
I agree, motorcy90 doesn’t seem too concerned about CF

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
If the season gets cancelled you aren’t having fall practice. No practice sessions but still on campus with 20-30K other kids. These guys have ten fold the interaction with other people during the week then they would have on the four proposed road trips this fall.

We are now forced into this spot because our nation failed. But there will be similar risks for these young men if they are on campus regardless of whether they are playing football.

No traveling cuts down on interactions between separate isolated populations

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Friend coaches volleyball in the B1G. Said they were told today no fall sports. Announcement soon.

• Informative
Reactions: madguy30