My guess is the season gets postponed next week ...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Wasn't there some talk of ESPN replaying a season should this happen?

Yes and I still call for 2001 and only for this.

Warning: reading the below material may result in responses that are not suitable for public display.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't want a watered down spring season, which will lead to a watered down fall season. Just take the year off and see you boys next fall

I agree with the sentiment, but the financial pain weighs on the decision. If there is anyway a spring season makes sense and can be played, I think it happens because of that.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
If spring practice is practical so is spring football. Mar, Apr, May. Temps would be fine even in Ames.

Maybe it's just conference games. Maybe it's a half dozen games per school. But a windfall from TV money awaits. And that will be necessary for programs most of which will be underwater financially without it.

We can only hope a vaccine is available by then. I have great faith in the pharma industry to develop one and/or meds to deal with the c'virus.

A K-State starter has the c'virus now and said he's not playing this year, Jonathan Alexander. It's going to happen to others as well.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Tailg8er

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
I have been very diligent about doing my part to get this pandemic suppressed

But I’ve been in denial that football gets canceled

Not good for my mental health

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
If spring practice is practical so is spring football. Mar, Apr, May. Temps would be fine even in Ames.

Maybe it's just conference games. Maybe it's a half dozen games per school. But a windfall from TV money awaits. And that will be necessary for programs most of which will be underwater financially without it.

We can only hope a vaccine is available by then. I have great faith in the pharma industry to develop one and/or meds to deal with the c'virus.

A K-State starter has the c'virus now and said he's not playing this year, Jonathan Alexander. It's going to happen to others as well.

Do you presume the vaccine will be the inoculation kind? At best, probably more mitigation, along same efficacy as the flu one. Do you still risk it then, the virus will still be here?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008

The difference is, is it a season? or a handful of exhibition games? I don't see any way they can get a full season in before May 1st (which I would call a practical deadline)

Especially since Jan and Feb are peak flu season.

So then what is the point of playing, say, 3-5 exhibition games in April?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have been very diligent about doing my part to get this pandemic suppressed

But I’ve been in denial that football gets canceled

Not good for my mental health

It's so weird. This first week of August when it's still usually hot but just a little less humid, the nights start getting cooler, and articles about football start popping up...it's one of my favorite things in a year.

We're conditioned to it and it's odd to think of it really not happening but that's how it goes.

MLB has shown what can happen when there's not specialized bubble like protocol in place and doing that for college football seems impossible.

kcbob79clone

Do you presume the vaccine will be the inoculation kind? At best, probably more mitigation, along same efficacy as the flu one. Do you still risk it then, the virus will still be here?

Unfortunately the virus will always be here, we are in the "acceptable risk" realm now. I am in the "acceptable risk" camp while others here, and we all know who they are unfortunately are in the "forever nonacceptable risk" camp. Vaccine you say and they counter with not everyone will take the vaccine.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Unfortunately the virus will always be here, we are in the "acceptable risk" realm now. I am in the "acceptable risk" camp while others here, and we all know who they are unfortunately are in the "forever nonacceptable risk" camp. Vaccine you say and they counter with not everyone will take the vaccine.

Not everyone will take the vaccine...that's not a new concept or some meltdown freak out mode from people.

Personally if I get vaccinated (will be interesting to see if it will be found out that I need it vs. my antibody results/T-cell studies etc.) and most people I associate with are vaccinated which is typically the case I'll be more comfortable but I'll still keep hand sanitizer in my pocket to use so I avoid spreading it via surface to those that are still high risk.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I and others here have said spring football makes sense because it gets us to a vaccine. With each development and every day that passes, that seems to be the endgame. 2020 can't end too soon.

Then, the Big Ten released a statement saying that it has halted progress toward full-contact practice. From the statement: “We believe it is best to continue in the appropriate phase of activity referenced above while we digest and share information from each campus to ensure we are moving forward cautiously.” The conference had a regularly scheduled presidents meeting Saturday, with rumors percolating nationally that the wealthiest conference is considering postponing fall sports as well. A Detroit Free Press report Saturday cited league sources saying commissioner Kevin Warren is in favor of a spring football season.

If they play a spring season, will they play in the fall of 2021? When do they start? Late March? Can you play football in Ames or Madison in Jan or Feb? By the time the season is over it's just about time to start fall ball. That's a lot of football.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

kcbob79clone

If they play a spring season, will they play in the fall of 2021? When do they start? Late March? Can you play football in Ames or Madison in Jan or Feb? By the time the season is over it's just about time to start fall ball. That's a lot of football.

Why I think spring ball is a fantasy. Plus fall 2021 we should know what the new normal is.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Why I think spring ball is a fantasy. Plus fall 2021 we should know what the new normal is.

What is going to change between now and fall 2021?

We haven't even sent kids back to school yet (likely resulting in another outbreak)
We haven't hit the winter flu season (likely resulting in another outbreak)
People aren't going to suddenly start wearing masks across the country (the virus will continue to spread)

I think those thinking the vaccine will be ready and in the arm of every american by Aug 2021 are being pretty optimistic

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
So instead of just cancelling the season, they'll just push it back again until spring. I guess that doesn't hurt anything.... but boy.... they just don't get it do they?
Except the players who would have to follow a spring football season a few months later with a fall football season. Kinda hard to sell the notion that they are just students after that. I see ncas football at all this season as extremely unlikely.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron