My guess is the season gets postponed next week ...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I just hope that all the people pounding their chest this weekend about being right are able to support CycloneFanatic in the lean months ahead.

Seems to me the ones who would owe the most on that front would be the people who consistently downplayed this and pushed to do things other than what the medical experts suggested.. They are the reason we are where we are at now, and not where other countries are with this.

We 'told you so' because we saw the inevitability that making bad choices earlier would result in consequences later. The cost of reopening things early, people's refusal to wear masks, etc is that things are not at a place where football can happen. That we were right doesnt make it suck any less for us that we won't have sports this fall, but it'd be nice if some would learn from that mistake instead of continuing to try to downplay this, extending this **** farther and farther.

Reactions: Bigman38

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What is going to change between now and fall 2021?

We haven't even sent kids back to school yet (likely resulting in another outbreak)
We haven't hit the winter flu season (likely resulting in another outbreak)
People aren't going to suddenly start wearing masks across the country (the virus will continue to spread)

I think those thinking the vaccine will be ready and in the arm of every american by Aug 2021 are being pretty optimistic

If there's a vaccine by early 2021, i could see universities requiring it by fall 2021. That would bring spread levels down to a level where the risk level would be very, very low.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Seems to me the ones who would owe the most on that front would be the people who consistently downplayed this and pushed to do things other than what the medical experts suggested.. They are the reason we are where we are at now, and not where other countries are with this.

We 'told you so' because we saw the inevitability that making bad choices earlier would result in consequences later. The cost of reopening things early, people's refusal to wear masks, etc is that things are not at a place where football can happen. That we were right doesnt make it suck any less for us that we won't have sports this fall, but it'd be nice if some would learn from that mistake instead of continuing to try to downplay this, extending this **** farther and farther.

I have taken this pandemic about as seriously as you can. Haven’t ate out at all since March 15th. I wear a mask at work, my wife wears a mask at work. When we got to Hy-Vee or Target only one of us will go. No vacations this year in fact we haven’t even left SE Minnesota in the last five months.
Not sure how that relates to everyone else but I feel that we have done our part. I also recognize that lots of people haven’t.

What I think people fail to realize, or perhaps they hate 45 so much they don’t care, is what the decision to cancel football means. People will lose their jobs, owners will lose their businesses and kids will lose scholarships and an opportunity to get a great education. I don’t see a lot of the chest thumpers as being sad. I see them as feeling vindicated. Which is perfectly fine but it is sort of like betting against the American economy. You can be happy but just understand what you being right means for everyday people.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have taken this pandemic about as seriously as you can. Haven’t ate out at all since March 15th. I wear a mask at work, my wife wears a mask at work. When we got to Hy-Vee or Target only one of us will go. No vacations this year in fact we haven’t even left SE Minnesota in the last five months.
Not sure how that relates to everyone else but I feel that we have done our part. I also recognize that lots of people haven’t.

What I think people fail to realize, or perhaps they hate 45 so much they don’t care, is what the decision to cancel football means. People will lose their jobs, owners will lose their businesses and kids will lose scholarships and an opportunity to get a great education. I don’t see a lot of the chest thumpers as being sad. I see them as feeling vindicated. Which is perfectly fine but it is sort of like betting against the American economy. You can be happy but just understand what you bring right means for everyday people.

Who's thumping their chest and who's showing vindication? Anyone that I saw that was concerned that the season might not happen were concerned for these very reasons.

Can people understand that them being wrong by playing it off also means the same thing for consequences? A way to get the economy back was masks, distance, limit interactions.

We chose not do take those challenges on because we're a bunch of spoiled brats and here's the results.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I just hope that all the people pounding their chest this weekend about being right are able to support CycloneFanatic in the lean months ahead.

no one is happy this is happening. No one. It also wasn’t up to any of us. It’s not like clonedude called up bob bowlsby and said “cancel the season”. This was decided at an extremely high level.

Reactions: Bigman38

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
That is, quite literally, the most childish, egotistical thing I have seen on here in a long, long time (and that obviously says a lot). It is people viewing this pandemic in a childish way that has cost us many things-fall football is among the least of those things.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
he’s going through the stages of grief.

this country didn’t take things seriously so now we pay the price. Would it be safer for thd players to play? We won’t know. But Trevor doesn’t know any way.
Sounds like people should have cared about others and taken this seriously. We're all screwed now, so let's welcome Tyler to the club.
they are willing to accept the risks to play the sport. they are all adults who can make that decision themselves. this is being seen from a lot of college players currently.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
That is, quite literally, the most childish, egotistical thing I have seen on here in a long, long time (and that obviously says a lot). It is people viewing this pandemic in a childish way that has cost us many things-fall football is among the least of those things.
I’m not sure what is childish about it. People (a small percentage) are happy about this outcome because it vindicates their position. I’ve done my part from a social contract perspective for my fellow citizen and was hoping others would as well.
I just think that some of these posters that are involved in every thread and say they are truly concerned about businesses and this website should step up.
There is one for sure that can sit in the parquet for men’s and women’s b-ball and post in every thread but doesn’t want to donate $12 a month to this website. I’m sorry it’s tough for me to take those posters seriously.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
they are willing to accept the risks to play the sport. they are all adults who can make that decision themselves. this is being seen from a lot of college players currently.

It's OK. Just admit that you don't understand the basics of the pandemic situation and drive on.
We all know it. Join us in the knowledge.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
It's OK. Just admit that you don't understand the basics of the pandemic situation and drive on.
We all know it. Join us in the knowledge.
it's ok for you to admit not knowing that this can end up changing the dynamics of college sports as we know it, and that there is more going on from a business side as well. yes college sports is a huge industry and you take away the big cash cow then what happens? how many sports do we shutter afterwards and how many potentially lose that college scholarship opportunity? how many players will get sick during events were everyone involved is potentially being tested at least weekly compared to if they are just going to classes/life in general? as Trevor posted in some of his tweets the football team might be the safest place for some of these players during this..

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
it's ok for you to admit not knowing that this can end up changing the dynamics of college sports as we know it, and that there is more going on from a business side as well. yes college sports is a huge industry and you take away the big cash cow then what happens? how many sports do we shutter afterwards and how many potentially lose that college scholarship opportunity? how many players will get sick during events were everyone involved is potentially being tested at least weekly compared to if they are just going to classes/life in general? as Trevor posted in some of his tweets the football team might be the safest place for some of these players during this..
Where did trevor attend medical school? I'll hang up and listen.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Who on this board is “downplaying” the virus?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Again, none of us made this decision. You have a problem, you talk to the AD's and college presidents. They made it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's fine that they're willing. But it's not only up to them. Don't get me wrong, they can't play without the players, but football is more than just the guys on the field.