cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I know about that WRNL article!

First of all, my sympathies for your loss, may his memory be a blessing– below is the information I could find from online.

Here is a picture of him with his fraternity at Iowa State from the 1949 yearbook.

The attached image is from The Courier (Sept. 5, 1948) featuring northeast Iowans on the 1948 team. Unfortunately, the Ames Daily Tribune from that time only has camp weights for your grandfather. Also, I'm not sure why he is wearing No. 40 in this picture. He is listed as wearing No. 42 in this digitized game program against Iowa Teachers (Northern Iowa), but alas I lack photos from game action.
Thank you very much for this. After I made the post I found the digitized game program.

Very good to see the picture of him in cyclone gear, I hadn't seen that.

Reactions: Jar_Lar

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
While the attached photo was not from that actual game, my Dad played in that game as a back up Sophomore point guard (He started at PG his Junior & Senior year).
Your Dad, or did I miss? I tried to do a little 'Columbo'. Hard to do for information back then.
You missed. Ron Baukol was a year ahead of my Dad. My Dad was Larry Fie.
Larry was a good guy
Great to know. Thank you! My investigative work was based upon the 56-57 team photo (your Dad Larry not in that one), and the 57-58 roster. Larry (wouldn't-no) would have been my next guess I suppose. But since he wasn't in the 56-57 photo, and was only listed as a sophomore in 57-58, I picked Ron, though the face didn't quite match.

Oh well I had fun researching it. Hard to find pics of those teams, all the teams, etc. They do a much better job of archiving infor now.
Your Dad had an almost 10ppg ave thruout his ISU career? Pretty good!
Got any other pics, team pic of him?

Edit: @cuphues, spelling error fixed in bold

Last edited:

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
My father was a lettermen graduating in '38, he was issued a laminated lettermen's card that got him into any athletic contest free. My first recollections in the 50's was going up to the will call window and getting tickets at Clyde Williams Field and sitting wherever and I assume I got in with him for free. The east side would be half full and we sat on the west side so I couldn't tell how full it was. Students sat on the east side. Later on in the 60's, we went to the Armory and I watched Don Smith who was the first really good Cyclone basketball player who went on and did well in the NBA. The Armory got crazy wild when the fans rattled the metal stands and the metal roof made a really crazy environment. Clay Stapleton got ISU competitive with some great skill players and the Detroit Lions developed a relationship with Ames. I am probably the only Detroit Lions fan in Southwest Iowa and they make the Chicago Cubs looks like a dynasty!

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Wow! Thanks for finding these! My Dad (Larry) passed of dementia this past May during the early part of the COVID epidemic. We are actually planning a celebration of life for him in June of this year in my hometown of Jefferson, where he resided after college for almost 60 years. My Mom will be thrilled to use some of these photos in the celebration. Truly awesome to see these. Cyclone fans are amazing!❤️

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Had to share this with you guys. I was watching an alumni association video interview with Gary Thompson and they showed a still photo of the aftermath of Iowa State's legendary victory over Wilt Chamberlain and Kansas in 1957. My grandpa was an ROTC Sergeant and his office was in the Armory. My dad was sports editor of the Daily and covered a lot of basketball games there. When this photo popped up, my eyes went right to my dad on the court, carrying his camera, as he always was. A few feet away you can see Wilt the Stilt making his way off the court. Dad died in 2013 so it's always a thrill when I come across something like this. View attachment 83763

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Had to share this with you guys. I was watching an alumni association video interview with Gary Thompson and they showed a still photo of the aftermath of Iowa State's legendary victory over Wilt Chamberlain and Kansas in 1957. My grandpa was an ROTC Sergeant and his office was in the Armory. My dad was sports editor of the Daily and covered a lot of basketball games there. When this photo popped up, my eyes went right to my dad on the court, carrying his camera, as he always was. A few feet away you can see Wilt the Stilt making his way off the court. Dad died in 2013 so it's always a thrill when I come across something like this. View attachment 83763

cuphues

Aug 5, 2011
Dallas
Great to know. Thank you! My investigative work was based upon the 56-57 team photo (your Dad Larry not in that one), and the 57-58 roster. Larry (wouldn't-no) would have been my next guess I suppose. But since he wasn't in the 56-57 photo, and was only listed as a sophomore in 57-58, I picked Ron, though the face didn't quite match.

Oh well I had fun researching it. Hard to find pics of those teams, all the teams, etc. They do a much better job of archiving infor now.
Your Dad had an almost 10ppg ave thruout his ISU career? Pretty good!
Got any other pics, team pic of him?

Edit: @cuphues, spelling error fixed in bold
Was Arne Garde the starting PG in that game ? Followed the next year by Lyle Frahm ?

No. Lyle Frahm was the starter in the KU game in 57’/58’. Arnie Gaarde was the starter the year prior in ’56/‘57. Then my Dad, Larry Fie, was the starting PG for the following 2 years n 58’/59’ and again as Captain in 59’/60’.

Last edited:
Reactions: CyNews and t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Was Arne Garde the starting PG in that game ? Followed the next year by Lyle Frahm ?
No. Lyle Frahm was the starter in the KU game in 57’/58’. Arnie Gaarde was the starter the year prior in ’56/‘57. Then my Dad, Larry Fie, was the starting PG for the following 2 years n 58’/59’ and again as Captain in 59’/60’.
And @JStanz51, @ChrisMWilliams

I think it might be a great idea to do some CF articles on past ISU teams (BB here, but FB also). Perhaps break them down into 10 year increments or eras?

That would be very informative and of great interest to many of us.

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

Gaarde's last year was '55-56.

Frahm and Thompson were the main starting guards in '56-57. Starting 5 for the win over Wilt (Jan '57) was Crawford, Vogt, Medsker, Thompson, Frahm.

Frahm was a starter in '57-58; Ron Baukol and Dic k Farwell shared the other starting guard spot, and Larry appears to have gotten a couple of starts opposite Frahm late in that season before becoming the full-time starter in '58-59.

• Informative
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Geezer, can I get your opinion? How do think Gary Thompson stacks up in terms of all-time great Cyclones, more specifically Cyclone guards? He was one generation before my time (I am 63). I wish I could have witnessed his play.

I never saw him play but I'll bet he could more than fit on any modern era Cyclone team and still be one of the standouts, even though only 5'10".

He was a 2nd team all-american, 2x 1st team all-big 7, player of the year big7, over Wilt. (He was also star shortstop for ISU baseball team that went to college world Series in 1957? Wow!)

What do think? What was he like?