My dad in the Armory in 1957 after KU victory

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Had to share this with you guys. I was watching an alumni association video interview with Gary Thompson and they showed a still photo of the aftermath of Iowa State's legendary victory over Wilt Chamberlain and Kansas in 1957. My grandpa was an ROTC Sergeant and his office was in the Armory. My dad was sports editor of the Daily and covered a lot of basketball games there. When this photo popped up, my eyes went right to my dad on the court, carrying his camera, as he always was. A few feet away you can see Wilt the Stilt making his way off the court. Dad died in 2013 so it's always a thrill when I come across something like this. InkedArmory 2_LI.jpg

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I wonder what was up with all the patriotic bunting.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Awesome pic; thanks for sharing. I wonder what game atmosphere would have been like in the old Armory?

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I wonder what was up with all the patriotic bunting.

Probably because the Soviets were trying to take over Europe and destroy the United States. It was probably a good thing to display the colors. Didn't want to be labeled a Commie. And, it was in an Armory.

• Dumb
Reactions: dirtyninety

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
It's the Armory. National Guard Armory, you know?
I guess I never made the connection. I think I was only in there one time while I was as in school, maybe orientation, a final, I’m not sure. I don’t recall it looking particularly “ militaristic” at the time though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron