MUST-READ: Pete Thamel on the future of the Big 12

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
What if it was for football only? No need to work around Sundays. They keep their own network like the rest of the conference. We don't have to help pay an exit fee to anyone because they're already independent. If we add one other team, we can keep the round robin schedule in basketball which I think is awesome.

The only team that merits any kind of 'work around' is Notre Dame, and they are not in the discussion. No thanks to BYU.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

That matters only to WVU. BYU is no different than CU time wise.

This comment is a perfect example of how ****ed up this conference is...**** WVU right? I mean it's not like we made a commitment to them, they just filled a void that the Big 12 was scrambling to fill.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
This comment is a perfect example of how ****ed up this conference is...**** WVU right? I mean it's not like we made a commitment to them, they just filled a void that the Big 12 was scrambling to fill.

​Correct. They needed a place to avoid being UCONN'd. The league needed a couple members. Instead of Louisville someone thought WVU was the better choice, flagship and all.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009

That matters only to WVU. BYU is no different than CU time wise.

I guess it matters to me since that's what I said. We didn't have anyone in the eastern time zone when Colorado was here.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Remember this....

Closest school to BYU is 869 miles (TTU). And yes I'm aware, adding BYU is pretty much a mirror image of adding WVU...only Mormon.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...d-but-BYUs-a-candidate-in-waiting.html?pg=all

1375978.jpg

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
I amazed how many on this thread are experts in conference realignments and network contracts. All I know is I want nothing to do with BYU. I'd take Cincy and Memphis before that crowd. Please, no BYU in the Big 12.
+1000% regarding BYU. A few games with them and we will not remember that we used to hate KU and Iowa. This is based on seeing more than a few Colo State/BYU bb and football games. Until they left the MWC they were the most disliked team with any other team a very distant 2nd.

Last edited:

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'd add UNLV and BYU. BYU it's by far the best brand available, and UNLV gives a good TV market, plus the exposure from playing in Vegas.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
+1000% regarding BYU. A few games with them and we will not remember that we used to hate KU and Iowa. This is based on seeing more than a few Colo State/BYU bb and football games. Until they left the MWC they were the most disliked team with any other team a very distant 2nd.

Sounds good.

All these posts based on who they "like" (largely meaning fanbase). We aren't looking for a drinking buddy. Any candidate worth bringing in will be hated soon enough.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Remember this....

Closest school to BYU is 869 miles (TTU). And yes I'm aware, adding BYU is pretty much a mirror image of adding WVU...only Mormon.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...d-but-BYUs-a-candidate-in-waiting.html?pg=all

1375978.jpg

This is why you'd need East & West divisions- so BYU & WVU don't have to visit each other often. BYU is used to traveling anyways since they're independent. Add Cincy & the Mountaineers are much happier. Think the Bearcats are a weak addition? Some may have felt the same about TCU a couple decades ago. Football-wise they are doing quite well.

WVU
CINCY
ISU
KU
KSU
TCU

BYU
TX TECH
TEXAS
BAYLOR
OU
OSU